return of GBS 4 years old girl

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2007 at 6:30 pm

my firends doughter,almoust 4 years old, just received anouther GBS.
      She had first when she was 12 months old and overcome it with complete recovery. Thay thought that was it and that they will never again have to face GBS again but now they are not shure how she will recover becouse it is her second and she is so young. Please, if someone knows what are her chanes for complete recovery, and whats the risk of stroking again sometime in he life, please send the replay

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2007 at 6:58 pm

hi andrijana & welcome,

gbs has an extremely high recovery rate no matter how often you get it. her type is called recurring gbs, not cidp [chronic gbs]. this is important because steroids are not to be given. they are counterproductive to gbs. steroids are for cidp &, even then, only after ivig proves ineffective. she needs ivig. you might want to pass this along so the docs make no mistake. the odds are low, but she can get gbs again in the future. do they know what brought this attack on? if so, she avoid it forever. under cooked fish & foul [mostly chicken] is a big cause as well as flu & vaccine shots. she did not have a stroke. the nerves in her body are being destroyed by her immune system. this excludes the nerves in the brain & spinal column. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 2:28 am

I am very sorry to hear of your friend’s daughter. My daughter was 4 years old when she was first dx’d.

Has the girl had any immunizations recently? If so, then I would advise the parents to not give her any more EVER, as that may be the cause of the recurrence.

I’ve done extensive research on children with GBS and CIDP. Everything that I’ve read says that children are more prone to complete recovery than adults are. She has her young age on her side. Children’s bodies are more resilient & usually recover quicker & better than adults do.

I agree with Gene that IVIG needs to be started ASAP. Make sure that she gets a full 5 day course of the meds, even if she is starting to get better. NO STEROIDS!

Make sure to tell your friends to remind their daughter that she is OK and that she will get better. Give her alot of love & praise. It’s harder on the kids that don’t really understand what is happening to them & at 4 years old, they can’t understand completely.

Good luck.
      Kelly