"safe" pain relievers??

• November 16, 2010 at 11:52 am

Hi all

having a very bad time right now. Have had a headache since friday and everything went down hill from there. Woke up yesterday with a screaming headache, neck and back hurting so bad I was crying. Of course was scared it was something serious because of the symptoms I was experiencing. Ended up seeing my doctor, he did a bunch of blood work including one to check on an auto immune flare up and some other stuff. A strep swab (apparently that is going around and going unnoticed because of lack of usual symptoms). Talked him out of an ER visit unless things got worse. He is concerned but clueless at this point. Gave me a script for pain meds and muscle relaxers as my neck and back were very cramped up. When I checked the pharmacy (had just discussed the avoidance of codeine with doc) he sent over hydrocodone which makes me sick as a dog and so incredibly dizzy. It doesnt knock me out so I have to endure the side effects all while being loopy, but hey pain free. And Naproxen. Now wasn’t naproxen recalled for serious problems?? I have heart palpitations and increased BP from the savella (we will be discussing going off of it after I recover from what is going on now…unfortunately for me savella was the last thing I could try for ongoing pain relief but it just isn’t working and to increase the dose is too risky). So my question is, is there a safer more comfortable alternative for a muscle relaxer/pain reliever? Tylenol takes just the edge off alone, but I would really like to get some relief and for me to ask for such means that it must be bad.

Thanks

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm

My husband gets the headaches, stiff neck, restless legs and generally just feels miserable at times. He does take Naprosyn on occasion and usually has take it twice a day for a couple of days when he is uncomfortable. We try to use the Voltaren emugel to rub his neck, shoulders, and back after he has a hot shower, take two Naprosyn and then send him back to bed for awhile. This seems to help. We use the Voltaren quite regularly for him and it has been a big help. Sorry that you are feeling so bad.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I get the stiff neck but no headache.- It feels sooo wierd. It’s not actually stiff- It’s a very strange painful sensation. It happens a lot when I go to stand up. But it happens other times as well. I am not familiar with Voltaren emugel. What is it and where do u get this?

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 11:39 am

We buy it at Costco. But I am wondering if it is available in the States as I have mentioned it on the forum before and people are unfamiliar with it. We are in Canada. Here is a link for buying it on line [url]http://www.pharmacymix.com/voltaren_emulgel_voltaren_gel.htm[/url] It is great stuff because it is an anti-inflammatory that you rub in so it doesn’t upset your stomach. The anti-inflammatory action settles down the muscles that tense up. Hubby is quite reliant on it now for his neck and thigh muscles.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Naproxen used to be prescribed, now it’s OTC under the name ‘aleve’. It’s been very useful for me at times, but, I try not to take many OTC’s to confuse the meds mess I’m on now. Besides? IF I can hold on and take a tylenol only once a week, or a tramadol or the like? I KNOW it’ll really work when I really truly need it!
      As for headaches? I often get whopping sinus headaches and I’ve found that ‘moist heat’ heating pads work [forget about how your hair looks tho!] Restrict to about 20 minutes on any area and then off that area…just move it around.
      Also try these: URLhttp://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=12117388&URL [Bed Buddy sinus paks] I put mine in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds and IT’s HOT! Insulate with a towell and move around as needed. You could also try damp hand towells and micro them to above body temp [just a bit] and see how that works! Just don’t get carried away and burn yourself, please!
      It’s not just the heat? Somehow moist heat goes thru the skin deeper and can be more effective. Double edged sword tho? As we can’t feel as we normally would, and can put ourselves at risk.
      These methods are less ‘invasive’ than meds, but they also carry their own risks – such as: Don’t fall asleep w/a Moist-Heating pad on you!!!! Keep a timer handy so you won’t do damages.
      My heart is with you! OWWW – You hurt everywhere else and now YOUR HEAD? Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!