"compromised" immune system

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 6:20 pm

I have been told by my neuro that I should not take anything promoted as “boosting” the immune system. Just wondering if any of ya’ll have heard that also.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Hi Tigurr,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, we all have heard the same thing. You don’t want to stimulate your immune sysytem, it has been stimulated enough to start off the GBS process.

Take care and stay awhile you will get more answers. 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 7:52 pm

I know this sounds “weird,” but every time I start taking vitamins/vitamin juices I get the “freezy” feeling back in my legs and feet. It took me awhile to make the connection. No extra vitamins for me!! 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 9:17 pm

I was taking 16 grams of vitamin C when GBS was approaching and it kept it manageable. I am now recovering since it hit its peak in October and I am taking 8 grams of C….as well as lots of B complex and other supplements. I am not in need of any pain medication. So……you never know which doctor to listen to…..I know it has helped….I have had GBS twice. When I stopped the vitamin C, I came down with such pain…I thought I was run over by a truck.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 10:28 pm

hi tigurr & welcome,

correct, no immune booster. btw, we gbsers do not have a weakened immune system. it has a small error. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 10:40 pm

I doubt that vitamins will have much stimulus to your immune system anyway.
      Vitamins help your body to stay healthy if you don’t get enough nutrition from what you eat and lots of us don’t.
      Things like Echinacea are supposed to boost or help your body to “recognize” your immune system. I was told not to give that to Nate.
      GBS’rs have an “over stimulated or out of control” immune system. That’s why it attacked you in the first place.
      You don’t want to stimulate it and make it any worse.
      Ask your doctors if its ok to take vitamins and minerals for support. They will tell you if its ok or not.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Hello Tigurr (also known as T-I-Double Grrrr-U-R)!

Sorry, I had to do that – I used to have my cat as my avatar and he is a TiGGer in so many ways.

Anway, what I wanted to share is I had lots of blood work done recently and my neuro said my Vita. B was on the low side of acceptable. Luckily, my niece was with me and knowledgeable and picked me out some good multi vitamins with lots of Vit. B. I am feeling better with this and I really think I can say some of my neuropathy has diminished.

Oh, and to clarify what I read – we do not have compromised immune systems (like HIV, etc.). Our immune systems tried to do too much.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 5:38 pm

You are exactly right. A compromised immune system is either working way slow or is not working at all.
      That means it cannot fight infection very well. People with Asthma and allergies often have compromised immune systems.
      GBS’rs have an immune system that has gone haywire or out of control.
      In their case, slowing it down would be a nice thing to do.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2007 at 9:17 am

I appreciate Trudy’s remark ~ “GBS’ers have an immune system that has gone haywire or out of control”.

It is [I]not[/I] that our system is “to strong”. It is sick! You want to do everything you can nutritionally to get your immune system back into a healthy state. Having to strong of an immune system is a misnomer; it is out of homostasis (balance). As your mama said “eat your vegies!”. 😀