Questions about IVIg

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2008 at 6:04 pm

As can be guessed, I’m new here ๐Ÿ™‚ After five years, I’ve finally received a tentative diagnosis of CIDP. I am getting a lumbar puncture on Friday to confirm it. Because my doctor is fairly confident in his diagnosis, he has already ordered IVIg for me. It won’t be in until August, though.

I have so many questions about receiving IVIg as a treatment. How long does it usually take to receive it? Do you have to be hospitalized in order to receive it? How often is it administered? I know the answers are going to vary person to person. I’m just trying to figure out what to expect.

Am I correct in believing that IVIg doesn’t lower your immune system? I have three elementary school aged children. I worry about being involved in their school with a compromised immune system.

• July 14, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Hi,
      Welcome,
      No it does not weaken your immune system. it is thought to do 2 things, create a barrier on top of the myelin sheath and flood the system with antibodies to essentially overpower the auto antibodies. Steroids, or drugs like cell cept, imuron DO supress the immune system. Usually the first time it is done in the hospital to see how you react. Once you have established you will be getting it regularly, you can get it at home as my 11 y/o does. Some insurance co. make you get it as an outpatient though, you will have to check your insurance. The time it takes depends on what your doc orders. The slower the flow rate, the less chance for reaction. My son’s max rate 39, obviously an adult could go faster. For the first time I would probably max out at 100. It is usually done over 4-5 days for 2-6hours, depending on the flow rate. Kevin goes for 6 hours and 40 minutes over 4 days. Our home healt agency is coram, we love them. There are pre meds you will take to help with reactions, the hosp. will know. If you have any other quest. I will check back later.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!

I loathe hospitals. I always wind up getting terribly depressed whenever I have to be admitted. Did your son have to be admitted to a hospital for his initial dose or was it done in an outpatient setting?

I am really glad that IVIg doesn’t suppress the immune system. I was really hoping I would be able to go back to school to become a pediatric nurse practitioner. I was worried I would be put on a treatment that wouldn’t allow me to realize that dream of mine.

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Welcome to the board.

I had my first treatment last september. I was admitted for three days and had two additional days as an outpatient. The time varried between 3-8 hours. Now my treatment’s are done at home which is very nice and I have them 3 consecutive days, 1st day 4 hours other two 5 hours. It varies for different people, but I hope this helps.
      Good Luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 12:36 am

For most people, how long was it before you noticed a difference after your 1st IVIg loading dose?

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 11:25 am

[QUOTE=tarabell84]Welcome to the board.

I had my first treatment last september. I was admitted for three days and had two additional days as an outpatient. The time varried between 3-8 hours. Now my treatment’s are done at home which is very nice and I have them 3 consecutive days, 1st day 4 hours other two 5 hours. It varies for different people, but I hope this helps.
      Good Luck :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome and the answer! Getting answers from various people is helping me tremendously in knowing what to expect.

I suppose my next question may not be one that can be answered on the board. I just have to wonder why someone would be hospitalized if they are only being treated for a set number of hours? I understand the need to make sure there are no adverse reactions with the initial treatment, but couldn’t it be done in an outpatient facility? Yeah… I really don’t like hospitals, can’t you tell? lol

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 11:33 am

[QUOTE=AllyinCali]For most people, how long was it before you noticed a difference after your 1st IVIg loading dose?[/QUOTE]

Obviously I have yet to receive a dose of IVIg, but I thought I would go ahead and answer your question based on the research I’ve been doing. From what I’ve read, some people notice a difference right away. For others, it takes several treatments before they notice a difference, if they notice one at all. I think it all depends on how mild/severe your case is and how well your body responds to the IVIg.

• July 15, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Kitlayara,
      The hospital is used because they have to make sure you do not have a severe reaction, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure. The hospital is better equipped to handle this. Although a reaction can happen at any time since the donor pool changes, it is likeley that if you were ok the first time the subsequent times should be ok. At home or in the hosp. your blood pressure will be monitored and some other basic functions. You may have to ask for some valium or xanax and just come to terms you probably will be in the hospital. Sorry! But it is in your best interest!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Welcome!
      I get my IVIg at home now but I’ve visited the infusion center at our local hospital and it’s really nice. Ours has lounge chairs, carpet, TV etc. – feels more like you are in a hotel than a hospital. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Good luck!
      Julie

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 2:17 pm

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]Kitlayara,
      The hospital is used because they have to make sure you do not have a severe reaction, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure. The hospital is better equipped to handle this. Although a reaction can happen at any time since the donor pool changes, it is likeley that if you were ok the first time the subsequent times should be ok. At home or in the hosp. your blood pressure will be monitored and some other basic functions. You may have to ask for some valium or xanax and just come to terms you probably will be in the hospital. Sorry! But it is in your best interest!
      Dawn[/QUOTE]

I know it’s in my best interests to be admitted to the hospital for the first time. I’m just being a big ol’ baby! lol I think the hospital I’ll be at has wifi. If it does, I’ll bring my laptop and find ways to keep myself occupied when my family isn’t visiting ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 2:18 pm

[QUOTE=Julie]Welcome!
      I get my IVIg at home now but I’ve visited the infusion center at our local hospital and it’s really nice. Ours has lounge chairs, carpet, TV etc. – feels more like you are in a hotel than a hospital. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Good luck!
      Julie[/QUOTE]

That does sound really nice! I wonder if the hospital near me has something similar…

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Just another opinion. I have been getting ivig at the hospital until last month-now I get it at home, with an RN present the whole time. At the hospital, the room I was in was like what Julie wrote-mine was “outpatient ambulatory unit”-a room inside the hospital-in my case we had only 4 recliners, so on a busy day, my family member had to go wait in the waiting room the whole time. There was no privacy and other issues, but Dawn is right, you really have to be monitored closely the first few times. Despite the fact that you hate hospitals and get depressed, it is really important to be there in the beginning, and I was never admitted; just stayed a few hours and then came home. Your doctor decides what is best for you. Remember to do premeds and drink lots of water so you don’t get dehydrated. I really do love getting my ivig at home now, I can stay in pj’s if I want and take a nap, sit outside on my deck, and just being at home means a lot to me. The RN still checks my BP, pulse,etc. every 15 minutes and I am getting 45 grams over 4 hours. There will come a time when you can be at home too. Just play it safe in the beginning. Hope this helps and not confuse you more. Welcome. Emma

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 10:07 pm

[QUOTE=kithlyara]As can be guessed, I’m new here ๐Ÿ™‚ After seven years, I’ve finally received a tentative diagnosis of CIDP. I am getting a lumbar puncture on Friday to confirm it. Because my doctor is fairly confident in his diagnosis, he has already ordered IVIg for me. It won’t be in until August, though.

I have so many questions about receiving IVIg as a treatment. How long does it usually take to receive it? Do you have to be hospitalized in order to receive it? How often is it administered? I know the answers are going to vary person to person. I’m just trying to figure out what to expect.

Am I correct in believing that IVIg doesn’t lower your immune system? I have three elementary school aged children. I worry about being involved in their school with a compromised immune system.[/QUOTE]

Hi Kithlyara:
      I’ve been on somewhat of a regular schedule of ivig since 11/07.. One positive thing I can tell you is my immune system must’ve fought off every germ that came along.. I was only sick a little bit with a cold in Jan, otherwise fine, and I’ve got some schoolchildren of my own, that came home with the flu, strep throat, and colds…. Didn’t get any of it…. Sounds like your other questions are being answered… Good luck on your recovery…deanop
      P>S> I’m sure you will do fine on ivig if you are prescribed it.. Not every one gets a headache or side effects… I haven’t had problems for quite a while now… knock on wood.. I quit pre medicating altogether.. Can’t say I recommend for everyone……….Say Dawn.. thanks for the info re: gammaguard sp.. on a different post.. I’m going to enroll….deanop