Question on Healthcare Reform / IVIG

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2009 at 10:20 am

Good morning,

Just wanted to see if anyone knows how the healthcare reform that our politicians are proposing will impact the treatment of CIDP with IVIG. I know that the treatments are very expensive, and everything has been going well for me – anyone know or have any ideas / interpretations on the new bill?

I want to call my politicians here in NY to let them know how I feel on the issue , but I want to know how the changes will impact me specifically.

I don’t intend for this to become a political debate, I just want to know as I have not read the bill myself.

Thoughts?

• July 23, 2009 at 10:59 am

I don’t think anyone knows, not even the politicians. Obviously steroids are the cheaper way to go, however, if they keep pushing their feeling of shooting for the “long-term” maybe they will realize that in the long term, ivig will be cheaper as longterm use of steroids have serious and costly outcomes. There is a study that I have that states that, so I intend on bringing it with me to every doc appointment should the suggestion of cheaper steroids come up. I am praying that they will keep their promise that it is between you and yoour doc, I have decided hope is all I can count on. I also am hoping and praying that my husbands comp. keeps the insurance the way it is. I think we are all on a big dice roll and just have to be pre-pared to deal with what we are delt.

There was mention that the drug comp. are making contributions to medicare (80 billion) to help close the gap in the donut hole, maybe they will do the same with ivig, perhaps with the “bulk” situation of people it will bring the cost down?

This is a very scary time in uncarted territory, I am just going to pray alot for all of us!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom