Question on Aseptic Meningitis

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2007 at 3:58 pm

We think Dell MAY have had aseptic meningitis last week and the week before. The symptoms were fever, very whiny, fussy, he would say his head hurt, his mouth hurt and it seemed like his body hurt, in general.

I took him to pediatrician, ENT and neurologist (we were in the hospital while it was going on) and no one could figure out what was wrong. Of course, it could have been something else but wonder about the meningitis.

I know that only a spinal tap would have said for sure.

The question:

Would Dell be more susceptible to aseptic meningitis in the future? He gets ivig quite often.

• May 11, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Lori,
      I do not believe a spinal tap would be warranted. I believe it is an aseptic meningitis reaction to ivig, (non infectous) Additionally, under non infectous causes from wikepedia, there are a number of drugs listed as causes. Specifically, methotrexate, ivig, amoxicillin, azathiopene, and several others. Kevin has had this reaction each time he gets ivig. The doctors do not seem too concearned and just continue the pre-meds. during the infusion. I do not know if this is what is happening with Dell, but maybe it will help. Dawn

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2007 at 11:23 pm

If he had it once with ivig, the only way you will know if it is going to happen again and again is to change ivig brands. if he has the same reaction, then it is more then likely what is going on. does he get a stiff/sore neck at the same time? premed probably won’t help if it is from ivig and continues to occur. Give Dell a BIG HUG for me.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2007 at 1:13 pm

[B]Some of our members have had aseptic meningitis from the IVIG, I think the rule of thumb is anti-biotics and that’s all. I also do not think a spinal tap is warranted now.[/B]

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Lori,

Emily has had a fever the last few days too. The highest it’s gone is 99.4 in the ear. She has a stomachache, headache & general achiness in her arms & legs. She hasn’t really eaten much in the last few days either.

Eventhough she has all of that going on, she is still running around the house & insisted on doing her play yesterday.

I think it’s some kind of virus going around. There were 8 kids out in her class on Friday.

I don’t think there is any treatment for aseptic meningitis. I think you just wait it out.

I hope that he is feeling better.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2007 at 9:54 am

We found out why Dell had the fever. He’s got mono. If you look up mono, it’s about the same symptoms as aseptic meningitis.

Fever, sore throat, swollen nodes, tired. We were pretty shocked. According to the net, 90% of ppl. will have had it, I can’t believe those numbers.

My brother-in-law currently has it but has not been around Dell in over a month. The dr. says his numbers indicate he contracted it in the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for your posts,

Lori