Post GBS & Anxiety

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 6:03 pm

Has anyone experienced or heard of anyone else having this problem? I have always been a little nervous about things like flying, storms, etc… However since being diagnosed & treated for GBS in 2005 (about three months from diagnosis to initial treatment), these feelings of anxiety seem to have greatly increased. I constantly find myself worrying about things I have no control over, such as the weather, having to travel, etc.
      If anyone can offer any information on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Robert

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 6:49 pm

Robert,

I think many of us suffer from anxiety, post-GBS. I take Zoloft for it and have since I was diagnosed, it helps me a great deal. I don’t suffer from the same anxieties as you but similar. I definetely encourage you to talk to your Dr. about it because there are things that can help. Good luck, message me anytime if I can help.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Robert,

Welcome to the forum!
      In the past anxiety, as well as depression has been a much talked about topic on here.

[QUOTE] However since being diagnosed & treated for GBS in 2005 (about three months from diagnosis to initial treatment), these feelings of anxiety seem to have greatly increased.[/QUOTE]
      From the sound of things, like many of the members, you had a traumatic time of it. Living through this makes us realize how fallible we are.

This is an exerpt of an article, which can be found on [URL=”http://www.angelfire.com/home/gbs/aftergbs.html”]http://www.angelfire.com/home/gbs/aftergbs.html[/URL] (cut and paste to follow link)
      [B][FONT=Arial][QUOTE]
      [B][FONT=Arial]Disability After
      “Recovery” From GBS[/FONT][/B]
      [I]____________________________________________

[SIZE=1]Kleopas A. Kleopa, M.D., Neuromuscular Fellow
      Mark J. Brown, M.D., Professor
      Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania
      School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA[/SIZE][/I]

[B]Psychosocial dysfunction[/B]
      Reports of long-term psychological sequela after GBS are rare, although this issue may be a major factor in psychosocial dysfunction of patients recovering from the disease. Many psychological factors could contribute to chronic fatigue and social dysfunction, including fear of disability, inability to cope with physical limitations, and depression following a major illness. The role of depression in psychosocial dysfunction after GBS is not fully understood. The sickness impact profile of GBS survivors was found to differ from the profile of other patients with depression. Nevertheless, further study of the long-term psychological impact of the disease is necessary, and depression should be considered on an individual basis when appropriate. Both supportive psychotherapy and/or pharmacologic treatment can be effective.
      Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) has been reported in a patient following severe GBS with paralysis and a prolonged intensive care stay. The GBS-induced PTSD shared the features of PTSD seen following other traumatic events. Even such profound psychological problems following GBS can be treated with supportive psychotherapy and appropriate medications. They may at least in part be prevented by adequate pain management and the use of a communication system, such as clear lucid letter-board in the event of near complete paralysis. Better understanding, prevention and treatment of these issues may have a positive impact on the quality of life for GBS survivors. Moreover, it is important for patients and their families to know that their psychosocial problems are also experienced by other patients after GBS.[/QUOTE][/FONT][/B]

I have suffered from anxiety, and did take medication for it (I hate taking meds). It really did help me tremendously.

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 7:03 pm

Jerimy,
      Thank you for your response. I have discussed this with my family Dr & he has me taking Xanex. It does not seem to help & I really wonder if he prescribed the right meds. I will give my Neurologist a call next week and see what advice he may have as well.

Thanks again,
      Robert

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 7:05 pm

Robert,

Like Jerimy, Zoloft was the thing that helped my anxiety, which sounds very similar to yours.

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 7:10 pm

Alison, words can not begin to express how thankful I am to have found this forum. Thank you so much for your reply. I was literally crying when I read the article in your response. I thought I was alone out here and no one could understand what I was feeling. Now I know there is hope.

Robert

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 8:21 pm

Robert,

If Zoloft isn’t working for you, don’t be afraid to try another kind of anti-anxiety medication.

Each person’s body chemistry is different. Sometimes it takes trying several meds before you find one that works with your own. Generally a with a trial of 30 days or so, you’ll find out if a particular medication is right for you.

Best wishes for finding some relief.

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2006 at 12:09 am

Dear Robert

I was on Xanex. minimum dosage apparently. It made me a walking zombie. I lasted 2, or maybe even 3, days on it, before I said ‘screw that!’

That’s when I met anti-depressants. A whole different ballgame.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 1:56 pm

Robert,

I have had anxiety problems half of my life, and they have become worse after my father’s death and traumatic hospital stay. I take xanax every afternoon at work as I start gritting my teeth and my jaw will hurt horribly. What dosage of xanax have you tried? I take .25 whenever needed and I usually cannot even tell – except I become a little more focused. I kinda wish I wasn’t taking so many meds., but I also wish I hadn’t had GBS.

Also, I think Cymbalta is working fairly well for me. I do have more nerve stuff going on, but it is bearable.

P.S. Teresa Anne, where have you been???

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Robert,

How have you been doing? We havent heard from you in a while.

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2006 at 12:34 am

[QUOTE=ali]Robert,

How have you been doing? We havent heard from you in a while.[/QUOTE]

I am hanging in there. Thanks for asking. I am up to .50mg Xanex three times a day. I have been doing a bit better but I am still having a few issues. I am still working with my Dr. to get on the treatment plan / meds that are best for me.

Robert

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2006 at 11:40 pm

Robert, it seems to be a tough time for you at the moment, I’m sorry to hear that.

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2006 at 8:08 am

Best wishes and prayers for you.

God Bless
      Stephen

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 10:50 pm

[QUOTE=ali]Robert, it seems to be a tough time for you at the moment, I’m sorry to hear that.[/QUOTE]
      It makes you appreciate the little things in life a lot more.:)

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 10:51 pm

[QUOTE=Morrada]Best wishes and prayers for you.

God Bless
      Stephen[/QUOTE]

Thank you,
      God Bless you as well.