Positive ANA Test

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2006 at 9:22 am

I was telling Ali that a few weeks ago I had to go to the doctor for unexplained bruise marks going down my leg. The doctor was pretty sure I tore a muscle, but he needed to take blood tests to rule out some other things. He told me he would only call if something came back positive.

Ring……….it was the doctor. He explained to me that my ANA test came back positive and that I would need to go see a Rhumetologist (too lazy to look up spelling!) for further testing.

To make a really long story short-the doctor told me that I am in the 8% of the population that will always test positive for this auto-immune test-but that I am normal. (well, not everyone agres on that!) She is pretty certain that I am testing positive because of GBS that I had back in ’88. She said we could go ahead and do further testing-but I declined due to the fact that my major tests came back normal.

I was wondering if anyone else ever had this test done and have come back with positive ‘titer’ levels like I did. Did I make the right decision for not opting for further tests? I don’t like to “look” for things……

PS-my bruise marks were definitely a torn muscle from working out.

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2006 at 10:09 am

jagss,

mu ana was hi also for quite a number of years. for better or worse none of my docs took any action on it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2006 at 11:22 am

my ana has always been high. I may be in denial but I also don’t like looking for things. Each of my autoimmune issues except for CIDP was caught early when the symptoms presented.

Jerimy