Pneumonia Vaccine

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 5:07 pm

I just turned 65 and my doctor suggested I get a Pneumonia vaccination. I contracted CIDP in 2005 and have had a good recovery. Based on information on this forum, I haven’t had a flu shot since; no flu either. Any updated information you can share would be welcome.

• September 12, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Hi mjport!
      Do you recieve ivig for your cidp? I was remarking just today to Kevin’s neuro that ivig has certainly kept him flu free. (my opinion, could be wrong) My older son has had a few bouts with the flu and bronchitis last year and Kevin’s friends had pneumonia and bronchitis this summer. Kevin has been close in proximity and never sick!!?? About the flu/pnuemonia shot, that is YOUR personal choice. We have been told NEVER again get a live vaccine, even tetanus. I think I am going to follow that. The fact that you state you are recovering remarkably well would make me nervous (personally) to test fate. I tell my parents about the people on the site as well as some medical professionals who have gbs or cidp from either of the shots, and they still get it every year with Kevin as proof that cidp stinks? Some choices are harder than others, good luck and best wishes.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Hi MJPORT! I don’t get those vaccines either. That last one I had was in 2007 and it made me sick as a dog. Had both vaccines. A said never again. One thing that might help in finding out about the new vaccines is checking out either the CDC Online typing in information about the vaccine. Or either looking up the name of this years vaccine and seeing what side effects it can cause. But me myself will not be taking one. I had a bad reaction to that vaccine last year and so did my mom and she is 73 years old. It too made her sick! I don’t know about the others in here but they might have a totally different opinion! Good to meet you!

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 9:00 pm

What About A Cotizone Shot? I Now Have Busitis In My Hip. Any Info From Anyone?

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 12:01 am

I thought we were told never to have a flu shot. I’ve heard they even ask if you have GBS on the questionaire. I never got one before GBS and won’t be getting one in the future.

Tina I have gotten cortizone shots in my shoulder and knee with good results and no side effects…my hip will probably be next.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Thank You! I Was Worried.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 2:25 am

I have had alot of cortizone shots also. They seem to help alot! Too bad they can’t just give me aa full body shot! 😀 Then maybe I would feel better! LOL

• September 15, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Hi: My doctor won’t give me any type of vaccine, he won’t even ask. He believes that I possibly got GBS from the flu shot 11 yrs. ago. So I will never get any of them. Joan

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Hello.
      I was told by my Neuroligist to NEVER take another immune shot. I got GBS from a flu shot and I ask everyone to tell everyone you know to NEVER take a flu shot. There is nothing new out that is safe. Any immune shot connected with an egg can is not 100 % safe–(Steve)

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 7:59 pm

[B]Any vaccine can cause GBS/CIDP to develop.It’s not just the flu vaccine.
      Everyone needs to know this fact because the CDC will never tell anyone the truth.[/B]

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2008 at 6:01 am

Donna most definitely knows what she is talking about!

[B][SIZE=”4″]ANY[/SIZE][/B] vaccination can be the cause of GBS 😮

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Helo, I will never let anyone give my son any vaccines, I believe he got the CIDP from the series of Hepititus shot. I was told by his neuro to not vacinate him. Does anyone have any worries about the H1N1?

Thanks
      Wendy

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm

MJPort,

I contracted GBS (a very severe case) 2 weeks after a pneumonia vaccine. I was only 52, so I don’t know why my physician even recommended the shot.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I had back surgery 9/9/10 and got the pneumonia vaccine the following day….I got GBS 4-5 days later…hmmmmm, I think they could be related.I wonder why the nuerogurgeon, who knew about my idiopathic poly neuropathy, recommended the vaccine? Was he wrong? two months later, I am finally able to limp around without a cane but still have tons of pain in weird places. I am glad to find this site…I also belong to the Natl Neuropathy Site too. allen

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm

GH-CIDP, I beg to differ with you. I have known way to may adults and children who have developed GBS/CIDP from vaccines. My husband was one of them and has since passed away.
      I am not anti-vaccine what so ever. Do not presume that you know what I am talking about. I have seen way to many also die after getting any vaccine and developing GBS/CIDP.

No matter what you think it is not propaganda. If GBS/CIDP is not caused by vaccines, then why is there a Conpensation paid out to people by the government who develope GBS/CIDP from vacinnes? Until you know what the facts are do not say that my statements are false.

No rebuttal needed from you.

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

These are from the CDC government website so are they lying too GH-CIDP?

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/gbs_qa.htm[/url]
      CDC H1N1 Flu | General Questions and Answers on Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)
      [url]www.cdc.gov[/url]
      On very rare occasions, they may develop GBS in the days or weeks following receiving a vaccination.
      Do vaccines cause GBS?

It is not fully understood why some people develop GBS, but it is believed that the nerve cells are damaged by a person’s own immune system. Many types of infections, and in very rare cases vaccines, may activate the immune system to cause damage to the nerve cells
      [url]http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/flushot.htm[/url]
      CDC – Seasonal Influenza (Flu) – Q & A: Seasonal Flu Shot
      [url]www.cdc.gov[/url]
      CDC Seasonal Influenza Flu Shot including recommended groups, flu shot information, flu shot effectiveness and flu-like symptoms.
      Who should not get a flu shot?

Talk with a doctor before getting a flu shot if you:
      Have ever had a severe allergic reaction to eggs
      Have ever had a serious reaction to a previous flu shot
      Have ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome (a severe paralytic illness, also called GBS) that occurred after receiving influenza vaccine. Your doctor will help you decide whether the vaccine is recommended for you.
      Guillain-Barré syndrome: Normally, about one person per 100,000 people per year will develop Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), an illness characterized by fever, nerve damage, and muscle weakness. In 1976, vaccination with the swine flu vaccine was associated with getting GBS. Several studies have been done to evaluate if other flu vaccines since 1976 were associated with GBS. Only one of the studies showed an association. That study suggested that one person out of 1 million vaccinated persons may be at risk of GBS associated with the vaccine.

I got CIDP after a flu vaccination in 2004 I am not even allowed a tetanus shot. When I go to the Hospital and the DR ask me why I say I have CIDP the Chronic version of GBS and they say no way you are getting a tetanus shot. My Neurologist won’t let me get any vaccination even the Hepatitis shots.

Sue

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2011 at 6:01 am

In mid-November, 2007, 4 years ago, I rode my bicycle to the flu clinic to get my annual flu shot.
      At that time, I was an active, healthy, very physically fit woman of 54 years of age, but because I have asthma, I took the flu shot as usual.

Hours after receiving that particular flu shot, I developed a headache which did not go away for over 2 years, initially becoming more severe with each passing day. I did not get any fever. But after a few days, my skin suddenly could not tell hot from cold. I got severe back pain, and was intensely cold all the time, unable to warm up. Involuntary nervous tremors took over both limbs, growing increasingly severe. Painful, involuntary, muscular contractions began to ravage my body every few minutes, 24 hours a day, to the point where I was in constant agony and unable to walk. A few weeks after the onset of these symptoms, my chest muscles contracted one afternoon to the point where I was fighting to be able to inhale air. This was at Christmas time 2007, and I was alone and without a vehicle or means to get help, but I survived the afternoon by forcing my chest muscles to work, though I could hear them ripping repeatedly with each breath, like Velcro being torn apart. My feet and the entire skin of my body had by this time become hyper-sensitive to touch, burning and tingling with an agonizing pain at all times. This has lasted to a lesser degree to this day. The condition took over all the muscles of my once fit body, and wasted them within a few weeks, so that I dropped 18 lbs within several weeks. It has left me unable to walk without a medical rollator and a cane, and my walking gait has been like Frankenstein for the past 4 years.
      I’ve lost most of my reflexes in my knees and ankles, and developed drop foot, where I have to drag my feet from step to step, and up the inches of any inclines in a sidewalk, etc. I have severe muscle weakness in all parts of my body. It took me years to recover my eyesight, hearing, speech; but the ability to use my hands has been greatly lost (I am a professional music teacher of 25 years), almost entirely destroying my ability to earn my living. I can no longer easily grip a pen to write my name, use a can-opener at all, brush my hair, shower or dress myself without extreme pain and difficulty.

The medical staff of my clinic ignored my pleas for medical help throughout the onset of my symptoms. The hospital ignored my pleas for help. The flu clinic told me only: never to take another flu shot again. I have been left in this terrible condition of constant pain and crippled for the rest of my life, with no firm diagnosis, no treatment, no pain medication, no physiotherapy, no counselling, no compensation, no financial aid. I grow weaker all the time.
      Further search for competent medical counsel is now impossible, due to my severely reduced finances, lack of support and transportation, and physical weakness.

Add that to your statistics, GH-CIDP. Because there are plenty more people like me, who never did get diagnosed, never will be acknowledged, are crippled or dead, and who will only receive just treatment from God alone. And that is coming, be sure of it.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Sue – Emily’s neurologist doesn’t want her to ever get a vaccination again either.

Her symptoms started a few weeks after getting her 5 year vaccinations at 4 years old. We explained them away & 2 months later Emily got her 1st flu shot. Within weeks she was in the hospital & unable to even feed herself, let alone walk.

So yeah…vaccines aren’t as safe as the governments would like us to believe. People can read all of the studies & statistics they want, but it doesn’t make them true.

Kelly

• GH
      March 4, 2012 at 2:46 am

The truth is that the incidence of GBS and CIDP is the same for people who have been vaccinated for influenza and those who have not. There are studies cited elsewhere on this forum which show that. That does not mean that a flu vaccine cannot trigger acquired neuropathies, but that persons who can acquire a neuropathy in that way are equally susceptible to acquiring it from the virus in the environment. The common factor is the susceptibility of the individual.

It certainly isn’t necessary to have an immunization to develop CIDP. I have never had a flu shot (but not because I have any opposition to them), and I had no vaccines of any kind for several years before developing CIDP. My case was not caused by an immunization.