Plavics use and GBS

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 9:47 am

Hi all, I had been on coumadin since Oct 2007 and was just switched to an asprin a day. I have to have a blood test to see how my blood clots and then my doc wants me to start taking Plavics along with an asprin a day. I open up the Plavics insert and the words Plasma Pherisis jumped out at me. So I do a fast shuffle into the computer room to post this thread 😀 Anyone else on Plavics? Is it fairly safe to take having GBS and having had PP? Thanks for any input! Hope everyone is having the best day they can!
      Denise

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 10:22 am

Denise,
      I don’t know about plavics I do take an asprin a day. Why were you on coumadin? Are you prone to clots?

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 10:33 am

I don’t know anything about Plavics but was on Warfarin injections while having plasmapharesis. Not sure what else to tell you. I am going to look up Plavics.

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 11:38 am

Denise,
      I got GBS Oct.07, and had 15 pp treatments. I was given plavix, asprin, zocor, tricor and several other meds while having pp. I didn’t ask and was not told how pp would affect the meds i was taking. At the time, I was in no frame of mind to think of asking questions. Am curious to know now that you have brought the subject up.
      I didn’t notice any adverse effects from having pp while taking those meds.
      Take care
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 12:33 pm

In Oct 2007 I had a Pulminary Embolism that started in my left leg in the calf, zipped up the back of my knee then into my groin, then went to my lung. Spent a week in the hospital, getting those dreaded Lovenox shots. Upon my release I was on 5/7mg of Warfarin and had weekly blood checks for the correct level. My level was erratic so my doc switched me to coumadin. Then I had the Venous duplex scan of my leg and the clots are chronic, had the lung scan those clots are chronic also. Chronic I am told is good, you don’t want them to be acute. So it was decided to try an asprin a day until the coumadin is out of my system, have my blood checked for clotting and then start on Plavics. Prior to GBS, I was not prone to clotting. Docs believe they came from inactivity due to GBS. Thanks for the brainstorming!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 6:45 pm

If you are not currently having PPE treatments, I wouldn’t worry about it. PPE usually will be ordered with IV heparin to prevent clots in the blood tubing. Plus, heparin is almost always used to keep the catheter patent in between uses. At least that was always my experience when administering PPE treatments to patients with or without GBS.
      Peace,
      Flower