Persistent itchiness after loading dose of IVIG?

• December 31, 2018 at 4:03 am

Dear All,

Hello! I’m a first-time poster, recently diagnosed with CIDP. I write at 3:54 a.m. because I am once again unable to sleep due to generalized itchiness, which started a few days after I completed my loading dose (10 days ago) and is continuing. Aside from a couple of places on my left arm, there really isn’t anything that looks like urticaria/hives. It is currently worse in my arms and legs, including my palms and knuckles, but I also feel it in other places, including my scalp. It is worse at night–pretty maddening. I did have other adverse reactions to the loading dose; pretty bad headaches for 3 days following the last infusion, chills, fatigue, and achiness. Those have now pretty much faded. I have read the medical literature and know that itchiness as part of anaphylaxis is not unknown, but, again, I’m not really seeing much of a rash, and this is a fair way out from the treatment itself. Perhaps it’s just an odd coincidence. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow but thought I’d tap the wisdom of this message board in hopes others may have some thoughts.

• January 1, 2019 at 9:46 am

Have you tried Benadryl? When you had your treatment, did you take Tylenol and Benadryl before hand. Usually that heads off the Ivig side effects.

• January 6, 2019 at 4:13 am

What you are describing is a mild IVIG rash- specifically the rash in scalp. Not anaphylaxis- but annoying as crap. Large benadryl dose will fix it.

• January 6, 2019 at 6:52 am

Thanks for these responses. They did give me tylenol and benadryl prior to the loading dose, but maybe not enough of the latter. I’ll give a large dose of benadryl a try this evening.

• January 25, 2019 at 12:11 pm

The itchiness is certainly a part of CIDP. So far, I’ve been able to control it somewhat with Betamethasone creme. But the best for the scalp is a product called Clobox. It’s a spray you put on your scalp after showering. I didn’t have much faith but it’s been rather spectacular. But the best to control the itchiness has been CBD. My GP agreed and I’ve been experimenting with different strains. I can feel the nerves quieting with minutes. And a CBD creme has worked well too in distinct areas. Haven’t had to go to IVIG but back to a neurologist next to talk about it.