Paper thin fingernails

• February 23, 2015 at 3:37 am

I got hit with GBS in 2007. During first two years I noticed hair thinning and weak fingernails.

Now, eight years later, my fingernails are worse than ever. I kid you not, they are as thin as paper. Some are so thin, if I press lightly in the middle of a nail, it splits across and bleeds through. Every time any of my nails comes into contact with material (duvet, clothing etc) they catch and rip, crack, bleed etc. I have nail files everywhere because I have to constantly file them down to the point that they are in-grown to prevent them catching and splitting at the ends.

It’s a living nightmare, filing my nails 50 times per day. I live with a nail file in my hand as I know I’m going to need it within 15 minutes or so.

I’ve tried every type of nail hardener, treatment, varnish, strengthener etc. Also tried all the usual vitamins and nutrients that are supposed to help. I’ve spent hundreds of pounds on every possible thing and right now I’m on the verge of trying to figure out how to amputate them once and for all so I don’t have to live with the constant hassle of trying to deal with them.

Anyone else had this?

Anyone know of a solution that WORKS?

• February 23, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Testosterone is known to promote nail and hair growth. If Testosterone levels are low, nail vitality could be too. A simple blood test can determine if this hormone is in a normal range or not.

I’m using Androgel every 2-3 days and it has actually improved my brittle nails (which I believe I got from taking Prednisone) but my nails were never as troublesome as what you describe.

Using a prescription Testosterone cream could have side affects that might outweigh the benefits, especially if you may be prone to heart conditions. Please consult with your doctor and thoroughly weigh the pros and cons of Testosterone replacement therapy before deciding to try it.

A recent WebMD study can be found here: http://www.webmd.com/men/features/low-testosterone-therapy-risks-benefits

• February 23, 2015 at 5:12 pm

If Testosterone is not an option for you, maybe this product might help:
      http://www.sallyhansen.com/nails/nail-care/strength-growth/nailgrowth-miracle

• February 28, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Mine are not paper thin but a few of them persistently split at the ends once they get to a certain length. They also curve down once they get longer than my fingers.

I’m not sure that it’s GBS per se; rather a sign of our body’s general health. I wouldn’t be surprised if the trauma/meds plays a part in that, as well.

Think I read that these sorts of things are indicative of a deficiency in certain minerals or vitamins. Have you researched potential solutions? Seems to me that splitting is related to zinc but I can’t remember for sure. I’m sure that there will be something related to thin fingernails, if you search a bit. And if it is a mineral/vitamin deficiency, it shouldn’t hurt you to try remedying it.

Just throwing that out there for consideration.

• December 4, 2015 at 11:38 pm

I came down with gbs in may of this year and am still recovering. I came on to this post because I Google weird finger nails and gbs. I noticed soon after I started to recover maybe July sometime my finger nails were coming in really wavy and thin. I don’t know I it was from the gbs or from being really sick for so long before the gbs. I had a high fever for a little over a month and lost over 30 lbs. It could have been the nutrition or lack there of but I’m eating healthy again and it is still happening. I think that the wit are getting thicker now though but are all dented and wavy. A small discomfort compared to having gbs.