Ouch, loose joints anyone?

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Ok, my left shoulder popped out of the joint for the millionth time and while I don’t get much pain I can certainly tell that it’s been damaged. Again. I’ve always had loose joints but now we’ve gone way beyond being able to pull your thumb down to your wrist. My shoulder, thumbs and hips will partially dislocate with little effort and the rest of my joints are looser than they ever have been. I can only think this is because in the past my muscles have compensated for loose tendons and ligaments and now that my muscles are nothing more than pink jello my joints are susceptible to popping in and out. Aside from the orthopedic issues with this I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences? I’ve been trying to do some weight training (HA HA HA!) but right now just putting on heavy boots for leg lifts is a strain and it doesn’t really seem to be helping. 🙁

By the way, the reason I don’t get much pain, I was told at 12, is because I have a strong endorphin (sp?) response on my own. So while I don’t really get pain, especially for long term problems, I do get nauseated and dizzy when I hurt myself and can’t take narcotics in any form without having an over-exaggerated response. We found that out at an early age when I was pretty sick with hemoragic cystitis and they gave me morphine. Whew! Anyway, what pain I feel goes away and just leaves me feeling spacy so it’s not as if I were suffering intense nerve pain – but it’s darned inconvenient and I’m sure it’s not good for my joints long term.

My very patient but puzzled orthopedist does NOT want to do surgery on my shoulder and I don’t really want surgery either but I’d like to be able to fold the clothes without having my shoulder pop out of the joint.

Does anyone have any ideas? Suggestions? Better ways to strengthen my joints? Devices to strap the wayward limb in place? 😮

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Ouch!That does sounds painful. “loose joints” almost sounds ‘good’ to have, but hearing you explain it makes one understand what you have to contend with 🙁 . Sorry Cleo, no ideas, exept the strap idea may come in handy if your hubby needs to keep you under control.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Yes! I feel like my limbs can fly off with a slight jerk. I’m just sooo careful because I feel so fragile, falling apart fragile. I feel like it is because of no muscles, I’m 54 but feel like 104. Just be careful. I never talked about this feeling with the doctor, but now I will bring it up. When I feel like I almost throw my arm off it hurts!