On May 15….

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 5:17 pm

On May 15, 2006, I had my one year anniversary of the diagnosis of and my hospitalization with GBS. I didn’t have much time to reflect on the past year beacause I have stayed very busy. But, that is a good thing. That means that I have the capabitity and the engergy to stay that busy.

Today is May 20, 2006. One year ago, I was still in ICU. I was so sedated that I don’t remember that time. I was paralysed head to toe and on a respirator.

Now, I have been back to work for four months. I am done with regular physical therapy. I still participate in Therapeutic Horseback riding. I am completly independant. I am going to the University of Findlay this fall for Equestrian Studies, Equine Business Management, and a minor in Psychology. I am also going to compete on the schools Equestrian team. That is going to be a lot of fun!

I haven’t had any relapses, only a minor setback by spraining my ankle. I am still getting stronger. I still have weakness on the right side of my face. Still have some tingling and discomfort in my feet and especially my toes.

I still tire easier than I used to, but my stamina is coming back. On May 11th I walked all over the UF campus and then drove the three hours home. It wasn’t bad. A couple of weeks earlier, I had expended as much energy and had a hard time driving just one hour home.

I have been able to reduce my medications to the point where I am off most of what I was on when I came home last August. I am down to 300mg x3 a day of the neurontin. I am seeing a therapist, but I am starting to come down on the xanax too. I’m off the Elivil and the vicodin. I no longer need the lidoderm patches either. My feet are comfortable enough for me to wear the proper size shoes. I was able to purchase a very nice pair of shoes on clearance and they are in my correct size. Yeah!!! They can take a lot more pressure now than before.

Well, that is a very condenced version of my last year. It has been an eye opener and very directive. Praise the Lord!

God Bless,
      Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 5:26 pm

Good for you Tonya, I am happy to hear that you are doing well. Good luck at school this Fall too.

Jerimy

PS-Happy belated Helliversary as I call mine.

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Tonya,

What a great success story. Thank you for sharing it.

Jfitzen

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2006 at 9:12 am

Thank you for sharing your story. When I go to see my mother today I am going to read to her all the success stories you have shared. I know this will help her get thru this.
      Hang in there and enjoy school. Good luck and prayers to you.
      Devoted Daughter Donna
      Mom w/ GBS 2/12/2006

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2006 at 7:07 pm

Congratulations!! GBS hit me May 6,2005. Your success story is very encouraging. Thank you for sharing it. Hope to be able to share mine some day.

Peggy

• May 23, 2006 at 9:18 pm

It’s wonderful to read that you’re doing so well. I am almost 5 years out and have come to accept the fact my stamina and life will never be the same. Just always stay in tune with your body and slow down when your body has had too much. That’s the one thing my rehab doc always pounded into my brain…don’t get exhausted as it’s just an invitation to illness!

Be well,

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2006 at 10:21 pm

Good for you, Tonya! We’ve pontificated in the past about whether or not us GBSers are type A personalities. Your list sounds full and it’s wonderful that your recovery is going so well. Do pay attention to your body’s language. It will let you know when you need to back off and when you can jump on again. Continue to count and share the blessings!

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2006 at 6:35 am

i have to ditto nancy! i feel exactly the same way, some things are just not the same as before, but….that’s ok with me (on most days, anyway! haha)! we learn to accept and deal w/ life’s lot….that is the hardest part, i think, sometimes? God bless all…..becky in wv

• May 29, 2006 at 9:37 pm

It’s really great that you are doing so well. Keep up the good work. It is so good to hear a story such as yours.

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 9:43 pm

Hi Tonya:
      My father has been in Critical Care for 14 days and has been on a respirator for 10 days with GBS. Your case sounds similar to his – how long were you on a respirator this is what scares me the most. They are going to put a traceotomy (I think I spelled this wrong) on Thursday. Any insight what I should expect? I feel helpless. Thank you for anything you let me know about your recovery.

Courtney
      Miami, Florida