Omaha rides out the storm yet again

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 8:00 am

Friday night, Omaha had another storm roll thru leaving 125 thousand people without power.
      I was at the memorial park with my sister, neice and Connor. They were to have a free concert and fire works to follow. Usually there are about 50,000 people that attend.
      As we sat there on our blanket, we figured out our plan…that when the rain started we’d huddle with our umbrellas and ride it out.

As time passed, the clouds got darker and darker and Connor….since this is the third major storm in one month, got very scared. Since I had closeby handicapped parking, I told the others we should go to the car and wait it out.
      As we headed to the car, the sirens went off and they said we were still only in a thunderstorm warning but to seek shelter. In the car, we watched the clouds rolling by and suddenly this huge, thick, grey, absolutely massive -cloud was coming. I then decided to drive away….in my niece’s car. We had a friend that lives about four blocks south.

We got within one block of the friends house and the storm hit…the rain was so hard and the hail…we couldnt hear each other in the car or see out the windows. There were trees falling down everywhere. There was a tree in front of us in the road and one fell behind us leaving us stuck in the street next to another big…and OLD tree. I drove in peoples yards to get passed the one in the street and we finally made it to safety.
      My son was scared…but he was a trooper.

Omaha has damage city wide…power lines down, houses destroyed, cars and boats flying over. It wasnt a tornado but tornado like winds. 90 to 115 mph winds.
      Two 18 yr olds lost their lives when a tree fell on their car in Iowa…just next to Omaha.

About 40 thousand are still without power. We got ours back yesterday.

I’m tired of the storms….

but, we are fine…so many others are not.

have a good week everyone. there are pictures on ketv.com if anyone is interested
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 10:36 am

Stacey, I looked at pictures of the storm damage Omaha got, it was horrid what you went through. That drive to your friends house had to be a nightmare to drive through. With the storms you get there it’s no wonder Conner was scared. Hope he is doing ok now.
      My prayers go out to everyone affected by those storms and hope it eases up for you.
      Take care and be safe.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Stacy, we have been through a few hurricanes in the past few year here in NW Florida. But what you described sounds far more terrifying.

Jim C

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Stacy,

Glad you are all okay. That is the main thing. have been thinking a lot about the midwest as the storms and flooding have been devastating. Also the tornadoes…we had one go through our yard about 18 years ago so know that fear winds and hail can bring.

Take care.

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 4:42 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]Oh Stacey,
      As if you didn’t have enough stress in your life already.
      Glad to hear that you came out of it alright.
      My thoughts are with you.
      Take care.[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 12:46 am

We had a really bad storm a few weeks ago. There were trees down everywhere. Gigantic pine trees were literally ripped out of the ground – roots & all. They say it wasn’t a tornado but the winds were over 80 mph. There were over 350 thousand people without power just in my county. The school district was shut down for a few days – Emily’s school was closed for 2 days & others for 4. We were without power for 4 days & it was HOT out too.

I’m glad you all were safe. It’s very scary being caught in a store like that. Since our bad storm Emily gets nervous anytime it even rains now. I can only imagine how scared Connor must be now.

Fingers crossed that the bad weather is over for the summer,
      Kelly

PS, When I read the title of your post I thought it said “OBAMA” instead of “Omaha”. I was like “what is she talking about Obama here for” LOL.

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 7:06 am

funny, Obama. Nope, you wont see me voice any policital opinions here.:eek:

We still have about 15 thousand without power and today will be very hot.

I’ll be glad when thunderstorm season is over….we’ve had enough.

take care guys,

Stacey

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 7:17 am

me too Stacey – we’re going to have to get a generator this year… we lose power too often and it gets HOT! Plus we can’t flush the toilets when we lose power and that is just NO fun!!! :p

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 9:54 am

Stacey, I’m glad you made it through the storm. Please stay safe. Hugs to Connor. Take care.

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I just received these pictures from a family member of mine who lives in Omaha. These pictures are remarkable and really show the force of nature!

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 3:47 pm

I received these pictures from a family member of mine who lives in Omaha. These pictures are remarkable and really show the force of nature! I’m glad that everyone is safe!

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2008 at 3:48 pm

a few more pictures

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2008 at 6:55 am

Christie,
      those photos have been going around. Really quite beautiful in the way they were captured but on the realistic side…the damage was bad. Many are still without power and its so hot and humid here. Everywhere you go there are trees down and debris…almost everyone has tree limbs on the driveway and many have taken the limbs to drop off sites.

The amazing part is the city wide damage. Omaha is big city.

take care everyone and thank you.