Odd recovery side-effects

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:23 pm

My father (diagnosed with GBS in Feb. 2006) is recovering – he’s up to walking with a cane! – but is still having some odd feelings. No one in the area where he lives has dealt with more than a very few GBS cases, so I feel like you’re all better qualified to answer this!

My fahther is having a feeling in his chest (which was left numb during GBS) similar to what he describes as a metal plate over his lungs.

Has anyone felt this sort of sensation before? He says it’s more uncomfortable than painful, but very distracting none-the-less.

The docs say it’s the side efffects of his nerves coming back…
      Would love some input on this.

Thanks!
      Michelle
      PS – thank goodness this forum is back up & running – this is better than any uninformed doctor could ever be!!!

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:34 pm

hi michelle & welcome,

it could very well be his nerves returning, but is it no guarantee. if he gets much worse assume it is not gbs originated. this gbs stuff is not cut & dry. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:38 pm

Does his doc know he feels this metal plate feeling? If not, I would let him know right away as perhaps he needs an ekg or cardiac studies.

Just a thought.

Blu

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 12:09 am

Dear Michelle:

A lot of people have something like a tight belt feeling or a squeezing feeling around the chest. It isn’t all that strange and it could be a sign of healing. If you can be sure it’s not a heart condition, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 12:41 am

I believed that each GBS survivor has it’s own residual. The doctor might be right about his/her impression. However, having a feeling of a metal plate over his lungs needs to be check to rule out other condition/or infection.

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 7:00 am

GBSdaughter,

I have been dealing with this tight belt feeling for a very long time. It is just below my rib cage and has a tendency to come and go. I asked my doctors about this feeling when I first noticed it and they informed me that, indeed, it is a residual of GBS. Since GBS I have acquired a heart condition and the pain and tightness that I have from this problem is much higher in my chest.

Tell your father that I wish him good luck in his recovery.

GB

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 10:54 am

On the old forum we used to have many posts on the “band”, referring to a tight feeling around the rib cage area. I had it very bad the first year, but now rarely have it unless I scrunch down on my recliner for a long time. Ask your father if it feels anything like a rope being pulled tight around his body in the chest area or a feeling of lots of pressure in that area. I had two EKGs for it, but both were normal. But it still might be good for him to get an EKG, just to satisfy him that it is just all part of GBS…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 11:05 am

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful info.
      I will let him know that an EKG would be the best idea just to be sure this is residual effects from GBS and not something else.
      Thanks so much!!!!

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 12:37 pm

Mine feels like someone beat me across the rib cage with a baseball bat.

Over the past 1 & 1/2 years it has reduced, but depending on my activity, it flares up again.

Ain’t GBS fun ?

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 1:13 pm

We’ve had some members describe a tightening feeling around the chest area,
      like a “tight band” I believed they called it.