Nuclear stress test

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 5:11 pm

Has anyone had a nuclear stress test with injections thallium and dipyridamole? If so, did you have any reaction to chemicals? I cancelled today because of not knowing if it might worsen my GBS or MG.

Peg

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 8:09 pm

[QUOTE=peggy80]Has anyone had a nuclear stress test with injections thallium and dipyridamole? If so, did you have any reaction to chemicals? I cancelled today because of not knowing if it might worsen my GBS or MG.

Peg[/QUOTE]

Peggy – what is the test for? I had one in the hospital for my heart – because they thought that the Miller Fisher was weaking the heart – did not seem to make me worse – but then in again I was 5 days into MF and really was mush as it was at that time.
      Sally

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 2:52 am

Peggy, it is not a recognised trigger for GBS/CIDP anymore than any other ‘chemicals’ none of which show any evidence whatsoever.

Radionuclide tests (including thallium scans)

Radionuclide tests are less common than electrocardiograms or echocardiography.

What happens?
      A doctor will inject a small amount of radioactive substance (isotope) into the blood, often while you are exercising on an exercise bike or treadmill (a running machine). You may also be given an injection of a drug to increase the blood flow to your heart. (This is particularly useful if you cannot do much exercise).
      A large ‘camera’, positioned close to the chest, picks up the gamma rays sent out by the isotope. Depending on what sort of isotope is used, the camera can take pictures either of the inside of the heart as it empties and fills, or of the flow of blood to the muscular walls of the heart.
      The isotope breaks down quickly, so you get only a small dose of radioactivity. Different isotopes are used for different tests. These include technetium, tetrofosmin, technetium MIBI, and thallium.
      What can the test tell?
      Doctors use different isotopes to assess different aspects of how your heart works. Radionuclide tests allow doctors to accurately assess the blood flow to the heart muscle. They give more detailed information than the exercise ECG test. They can also give information about the strength of the heart muscle. Radionuclide tests are very accurate and can help confirm whether you have coronary heart disease or not.
      Radionuclide tests are safe and can give a lot of information about your heart, but only a few hospitals in the UK have the equipment and skilled staff to carry them out.
      DocDavid

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 9:13 pm

Hi Sally, it’s for my heart.

Thanks, Doc David, fpr the explanation. I’m not able to walk yet, so it will be given lying down. I also have myasthenia gravis, can’t take red dye for CAT scams. So many chemicals are contraindicative to MG. I think I’ll hold off until I get back from Symposium.

Peg

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Hi Peg, I had a setback due to the radioactive dye for a bonescan 1 month after my first paralysis event. i felt it go in and all through my system and it did weaken me and actually caused alot of my pain to come out. I can not have that stuff again. But then again i am one of the unique people as i’m told by all my drs, who is soo sensative to everything. i have had the heart dye job done before 2 times and had no problem at all, except with my heart valves anyway, but that was pre gbs. take care.:)

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Most interesting subject – prior to my GBS (Jan-03) I had taken a stress test every 2 years -some heart vessel blockage ,hogh cholesterol- following my GBS I lost 50 pounds reduced my chol.counts and also was able to reduce the medication (zetia) so my levels are all now in a good range
      Have wondered should I return for a stress test –walking with a walker but doubt that I could reach the desired heart rate on a treadmill.
      Currently use a power chair in the house as my sit/stand is still weak and have the usual GBS fatigue issues
      In rehab 4 days a week (pool as well ) and have no symptoms of heart problems ..
      Has anyone else had this problem.

Robert L