Northern Guitar Guy?

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm

:confused: Whatever happened to Northern Guitar Guy? He used to post all the time and now he’s banned for some reason.

What happened?

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 9:07 am

Something must of happened while we have been gone for a while. I went to look up NGG and he isnt on the list.There are a few that were steady eddie regulars that dont post any more. People have to realize that letters on A COMPUTER SCREEN HAVE NO EMOTION IN THE FINGERTIPS. People have a right to type evan if they are dead wrong about what they type. I think all of us have to guard our heart. and stick with facts.Unless you talk to someone eyeball to eyeball you really do not know them. You can hide behind the keypad.Us older people know these things more than alot of younger people who have grown up with this form of communication. The probblem I see is some dont know how to communicate now face to face.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 9:31 am

I assumed he didn’t have time to post as he was returning to work. If he was banned, I find that to be quite sad.

I may not have much to say, but I definitely plan to hang around for the new folks on the forum. I hope others will do the same and stop debating every issue/post/opinion as it’s disheartening.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 9:50 am

I just looked up an old post that he started and under his name it says “banned”. I can only imagine what happend .

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

Believe me, as a guitar teacher myself, I’m sure that he’s probably giving 100% of himself towards a successful return to work right now. It’s going to be tough dealing with the damage to those fine motor skills, and yet figure out how to teach to capacity. I hope he can do it. I felt that in his passion, he really communicated to our forum; and was also able to connect positively with many members, and gave what he had to give.

But being new with all of this, perhaps he might have shown more consideration for other members points of view…instead of the swearing and attitude. But we all know that he is who he is, just himself; and if swearing and attitude could defeat GBS-CIDP, I’m sure we’d all have done it by now collectively. In a few more years, he’ll understand some of us better, I’m sad to say. I wish him well, and we’ll miss him.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I spoke with Chris aka Northern Guitar Guy on the phone. He is still on Disability with a return to work date of Dec. 2012.

He said that the ban came from another members complaint to the management. The member had the initials gbs or cipd in their online name.

I wonder what could have irked this member so much?

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Just repeating what he said. He did not specify who or you, interesting that you chimed it so suddenly with that conclussion.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 12:03 am

Well someone stabbed him in the back and got him banned.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 7:39 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]I found NGG refreshingly straight forward. What a shame he was banned as I felt he contributed much.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 8:07 am

[QUOTE=Mark in New York]Well someone stabbed him in the back and got him banned.[/QUOTE]

Yes it certainly looks like it, Mark.
      I’m wondering if the moderators of this site would be willing to overturn that decision if all of the rest of us advocated for NGG. Could this happen?
      I for one, would like to see NorthernGuitarGuy back on this forum.

[B]Please, moderators, I respectfully request that you reinstate NorthernGuitarGuy to our forum, as he is certainly one of our valued members.[/B]

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 10:59 am

The purpose of this service is to promote awareness, education and communication in an atmosphere of [I]mutual respect[/I]. When users post and treat others in a less than respectful manner they will be warned and requested to amend their posts. Failure to do so could result in their being banned. It is not the intent of the moderators to ban without warning. In many cases multiple private warnings are given out. Speculation as to whom requested attention to a certain poster is just that, speculation. These threads are monitored for respectful behavior.

Multiple opinions are encouraged on this forum with the knowledge that they are opinions and subject to factual verification. As many of you are aware there are diverse methods for diagnosis and treatment of GBS and CIDP. Not all methods are successful with all people. The options that a patient chooses is a personal choice and should be accepted as that individuals path in treatment.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm

[QUOTE=gbsfi]
      Multiple opinions are encouraged on this forum with the knowledge that they are opinions and subject to factual verification. As many of you are aware there are diverse methods for diagnosis and treatment of GBS and CIDP. Not all methods are successful with all people. The options that a patient chooses is a personal choice and should be accepted as that individuals path in treatment.[/QUOTE]

This bears repeating. Thank you so much for this post.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm

So, dear Moderators, can NorthernGuitarGuy be reinstated on our forum? 🙂
      Quite possibly, he just didn’t know his own strength when he posted so passionately.
      And if he doesn’t behave himself, I will take away his guitar picks for 2 weeks.
      😉

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]Might he have another chance? The agony of our conditions can make us crankier than usual. Another chance?[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm

[SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”DarkGreen”]I would like to know what happen to Dawn. ??????? I heard she was also banned.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

[QUOTE=mochacat][SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”DarkGreen”]I would like to know what happen to Dawn. ??????? I heard she was also banned.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Hi Mochacat,

I believe Dawn may have requested the ban, however, that’s simply my belief.

The saddest thing about the heated debates is when discussing opinions and/or treatment options, everyone should be cognizant of how they’re coming across. I’m an advocate of stepping away from the computer when angry or passionate about a particular subject. Also, when insulting PM’s are exchanged, those comments, etc., should remain between the people involved or sent to the administrators to address. When it’s discussed on the open forums, it’s very difficult to come here and post.

I’m here to answer questions or at least, welcome new forum members. When I can give a “respectful opinion” on medication, etc., I will. I LOVE this forum and have read numerous posts, topics, etc. that encouraged me. In addition, (though I don’t wish these illnesses on anyone) it’s great to find a group of people who can relate.

I hope and pray that those who decided to stop posting amidst all the passionate and yes, at times rudely stated opinions, will decide this forum is worth visiting and simply use selective reading.

That being said, I miss:

NGG: As he always made me laugh.

Dawn: Because she was here for her child and supplied a boatload of research (even her worms…:D ).

WithHope: She tactfully provided sound information.

Julie: Because she kept her sense of humor even during trying times.

Jerimy: Though he stopped posting long before all the heated debates, he is my home town buddy.

And many others I can’t name but whose posts inspired and was a source of encouragement.

Tina

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I hate to see anyone banned from this forum…..divergency is a part of our lives….and I try to understand each writer’s perspective. As regards NGG, I am sure he is missed by many for he had a unique style for approaching wellness and stating his opinion. I think he had a good heart. But life goes on, not in the same way or the same path, we as GBS survivors should know that. Wishing you all good days ahead……

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm

[SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”Green”]Hi Tina and Tom.
      When I came here all the ones gone helped me and gave me support. I still stop every day to see if anyone can be helped. My neuroligist came here and she said we had more knowledge and love and careing than 80% of the neuroligists. Some of the horror storys I have read and the pain suffered and still suffering.
      I get upset when someone new comes in and is a know it all and corrects most replys as wrong. We are a family and we NEED EACH OTHER.Dawn and GM were a great loss. Dawn had love for her child and all the children here. Some people just loves power. Well they always in the end LOOSE. (Lakoda)[/COLOR][/SIZE](May the great spirits healing touch be with everyone)

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 12:27 am

I personally don’t think someone in particuliar “stabbed him in the back” ….I think he did that all on his own . And to call out someone because of their profile name is wrong and if NGG told you that …. I can almost bet the admin did not give him a name so ask yourself why he felt the need to say a name ?? I for one have been in NGG crosshairs a time or two and although some of you see that “refreshing” it was downright cruel for him to suggest that I do/did not know what I was talking about because I didn’t have CIDP or GBS . Unfortunately he was probably his own demise .
      For those who are already thinking that I must have been the one to turn him in ….I assure you I did not . I know how to fight my own battles . Although I do not rejoice over someone being let go from the forum …I do think admin did what they thought was right given the situation .

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 8:37 am

[COLOR=”DarkGreen”][SIZE=”4″]Beachcomber I notice you still carry anger in your words. I as many of us only want to know why GM and DAWN and other old timers have left ???? When I came here it was a family of people who cared and shared. Then a few showed up who enjoyed making neg comments about others post. Saying they are wrong and posting sites after sites that don’t work. They don’t talk in depth about their GBS/CIDP. I was turned in and got a warning for useing upper case to bring out a point. I do KNOW who turned me in. I was always told that a guilty one is the 1st to speak.[/SIZE]I will not reply to someone with CIDP. I had GBS so I help where I can. I only tell someone to stay away from the flu shot. It gave me GBS.
      You mention about a spy here. I definatley feel there is one.I believe that given enough rope he will hang himself. I and others have patience and in time the truth will come out.
      Beachcomber you notice how I wrote this. no finger pointing. only saying the anger with your words is sad. We come here to help and not to judge. not to hurt or cut another down. I nor others enjoy someone trying to show how smart they think they are. we are here to (HELP) not to be a know it all. You are missed please post and help others. 🙂 😀 Have a great day (Lakoda)[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Well, I certainly do miss Guitar Guy. He was full of vital information, and one of the most informed on the site.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm

[COLOR=”Teal”][SIZE=”4″]Hello Pat. Looks like I hit a home run with my last post. I heard that there may be another site on GBS/CIDP that GM and Dawn and others have gone to. If you come across it PM me and will do the same for you.Now hope people will start posting like they use too. we can reply by PMs if need be.GH/CIDP (Bless you ) Lakoda[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Well what can I say…this is great! I can’t tell you how I used to start a Thread only to see it unravel with hardly a reply or even a viewing. This current thread is already up to 3 pages! I want to thank all the contributors for all their replies. But don’t stop now, I thought it was about to fizzle and Beachcomber came in “swinging”!

It feels like there is more energy out there purculating…

Thanks,

Mark, still in New York.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I was reading one of my daughter’s books, she’s 10. It is from a series put out by of all sources, but a doll manufacturer:D, American Girl. The book was on bullies. It was quite interesting, it seems one of the types of bullies is someone who uses rules, either real or made up, to enforce their will on others:mad:.

What do you thing Mochacat?

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2011 at 8:05 pm

[COLOR=”Green”][SIZE=”4″]LOL Mark. Good point Mark. You know the BULLYS are always the 1st to jump in. You noticed I said the guilty one was always the 1st to jump in.. LOL Now if I mention my beliefs were spirtual and of the Sioux indian that could light a few fires. It is so easy to enter a computer and learn all about someone. Spirits can do wonders if they like you. Mark there are some people no matter how hard you try to be nice to them it is like they are made of stone.They are the ones who drive 54 in a 55 and in most cases about 5-2 which gives then a little person complex with a big mans thinking.But Mark they are a child of the great one and we should feel pity and say a prayer for them. It is fun to play big bad bully so let them have their fun. You remind me of GM??????? LMAO. Love you (Lakoda)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 6:53 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]Perfect…[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 9:15 pm

When postings are about exerting power and control over others, instead of open and honest communication, we have a problem.
      It’s a good thing that other posters can usually discern one from the other.

Hopefully, we won’t see people banned from this site just because they have strong opinions. I don’t think that is the problem. The problem is when others are negatively affected, ie: hurt feelings, being alienated; or generally stifled: Ex: Edith Bunker being stifled by Archie Bunker until she was completely intimidated and under his control.

Alice mentioned that we are all in pain, severe and prolonged, and this is bound to affect our moods and certainly makes its way into our postings. We don’t want to be whining, sour or mean; but it’s just not possible to always be sweet, cheery and happy either. I think we can all tell what’s what, and still understand, accept and support each other for the good of the individual, and our forum.

• November 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I am very sad to see NGG banned.

As many of you have said it’s OK to have opinions I have mine….I’ve not read enough to undersand fully what happened with him. All of us have differing opinions and unique cases but each month in the US alone we have probably 300 new people ” joining the family” each month. Thats where I was a year ago, and those new members are the people we need to support.

Whether we agree or disagree with one another there is value in everyones opinion. If we disagree PM each or exchange phone numbers and work it out. Keep this place positive and fact or personal experience based.

Take care

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]Nicely put.

Sometimes aggression happens. We are stressed in our illnesses. This universe should be more understanding, more forgiving…

I’d like to leave room for conflict resolution.

I recall another member banned, a few years ago… Can’t remember her name. They let her back. Why not allow NGG? Clearly he is missed. He stirred the pot, that’s for sure– but he also encouraged and challenged.

I ask that we all make a plea to the moderator(s) to reconsider in his case…[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Mocha Cat – There is no anger whatsoever …if there was I would have gone to the admin about his post or posted on the forum about the situation . While I am sure those kinds of things anger alot of people they do not anger myself nor do I handle myself in that manner . NGG seemed to have alot of anger and in my personal opinion that is why he got banned .
      What I did get upset about is when someone tried to call someone out when they have no proof or information to get answers .
      As I stated in an earlier post …. I do not rejoice in anyone getting banned from this site as we all have needed it to help us through situations at some point . I do feel he had some interesting post at times whether we agreed with each other or not .
      And I do hope that you were not implying that I am a “bully” …. as I assure you I have never ( in my private life ) nor anywhere have ever been accused of that . I do hope that we don’t start showing a juvenile part of ourselves .
      Sincerely …..

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Oh and to answer your question on where GM and Dawn are ….. I don’t even know them so I am not sure why you thought I could answer that for you . Perhaps then admins of this site could help you there …..just a thought .

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 12:06 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]I am growing so tired of many personalizing their role in everything.

The bigger picture!?[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 12:14 am

Your right Alice ……there is a bigger picture . Unfortunately people are human and often lose sight of it . A reminder is always good 🙂

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 12:50 am

Beachcomber,

I know ghcidp claims I called him out, but I only said that Chris told me the person who got him booted had gbs or cidp in their name. That covers 50 people, not just gh.

Why GHcidp jumped in with such ferver about my statement was odd, sorry you only picked up on his statements before you posted.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Come to think of it, our forum administrator is “gbsfi”, so maybe NGG was actually referring to that username. Could it be possible that NGG was not actually aware of our website rules and moderation? Maybe he thought he had the right to ‘free speech’, as it came from him open and honestly in his condition; because that’s the way he always came across.

I’ve participated on many internet forums in the past few years so I’ve learned what the rules were, and how they are enforced, but every forum is different. Possibly he just didn’t realize how things work on these internet forums, or on this one. I don’t think he would deliberately go against the rules if he knew that would have got him banned; he spent so much time getting to know people here and genuinely interacting with them. Maybe this is all just a sad misunderstanding! :confused:

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm

@Mark,

Well it even appeared to me that you were calling him out as well . I personally don’t feel GB-CIDP was “jumping in with ferver” but simply defending his name since it was close or perhaps his name that NGG was referring to . It would probably have been the same had I suggested that I thought it was someone with the name Mark from New York ….something close to your name . I would assume you would have defended the fact you had not said anything . Most people would …..
      There are often misunderstanding when you are typing a response

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm

@Mocha ,

I think it’s ironic that you called me out with anger when you are clearly in a desperate mood to disparage another member . Your post left me scratching my head at times and completely at a loss for words at other times . Some of your post I am completely lost over and do not find coherent …..sorry but true .
      I have seen people and new members post say that tried to post things and didn’t get any response and found it very cliquish . So to resort to blaming it on another member is asinine .
      You seriously need to stop and check yourself and resort to adult behavior . I will not continue this discussion as it has gone to place where I do not wish to be nor belong .

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 11:18 pm

@GH-CIDP-

I wish I knew the answer to that as well …..I did not realize this forum was for certain individuals to disparage each other out of anger .
      :confused:

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm

MochaCat makes many good points here, and I appreciate his honesty in being upfront with them.

And to GH-CIDP, I’ve always undertstood that this forum is for persons and their families who are affected by GBS and CIDP, and for the building up of those who come here needing information and support. We are human beings with GBS and CIDP reaching out to other human beings who are new or looking for supportive contact with others. This is why our site is so diverse in topic, so we can find many places here where we fit in with others who share our condition. Medical science and their websites help us or fail us, depending on the competence or confusion that arises from medical response to our condition. However, here on our site, we do at least have the shared knowledge & experience, and the goodwill and prayers of others who care. This site is not supposed to be a cliquey place where some assume ‘authority’ over others, or bend others to their will in the clash of strife. It is a place where we come to each other for help and healing as we struggle with this terrible condition. Let’s keep it that way.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm

[SIZE=”4″][COLOR=”Green”]Well everyone guess my time is out come monday. I speak the truth and a whiner kiss’s a donkey and if someone said jump off the roof they would. We had a name for them in school. I have tried to help others but some want the control and want all to follow him. The adiminstration won’t bother to read his posting and replys. I can still get help and blessings through the great spirit and it is ashame this site has lost all the loveing support it once had. Power and greed has ruined many and have always wondered if the ones running this site have had what we have SOO if I am gone come monday you know who is to blame. Bless all my true friends (Lakoda)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I’ve been around this site for a while and I not sure what’s going on now. We used to have a supportive family like atmosphere. Something happened and some people seemed to have become combative. We lost a lot of old timers. Some appear to have been banned others just left. Maybe it is time to step back and take a deep breath and think what going on. We should not need a moderator to tell us when we step out of line. Deep down we know. So how about everyone taking a deep breath and remembering why we are here. We need to be supporting each other. GBS and CIDP are doing enough to tear us down that we don’t be tearing each other apart.

Come Monday we need everyone here. ‘Nuf said.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2011 at 1:17 am

Thank you, Jim.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]NGG is a friend of mine. He’s actually visited me in San Francisco and we stay in touch. He has been following this thread and the forum in general and he felt compelled to express himself. He asked me to help him do that and I agreed. This is what he had to say:[/FONT]

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”]Hello to my GBS/CIDP family!

I hope you are all persevering through recovery and savoring whatever joys of life you can sink your teeth into!

I’m working towards getting back to work and have been fortunate to have colleagues who are helping me with this next battle. So far, so good.

I’m also having fun producing another ‘Free the Children’ charity concert involving youth performers. This will be a prelude to our annual charity rock concert that we hold in late May. It will be a unique experience for us, as this concert, slated to go December 21 will be an ‘unplugged’ event (no electric guitars-sacrilege!), something we have never ventured to do. We are all excited to take on this challenge. On top of all this, the music program is to be featured in an article on the charity’s popular blog.

My family life is better than ever. The boys are getting big, doing very well at school and we go to the pool at least three times a week. Lisa has been getting freelance work and this allows her to be at home. Bills are paid-what me worry?

I want to apologize to the folks who found it necessary to have me banned from the site. What can I say? I’m a PUNK! and if there’s one thing that remains unchanged about me post GBS is that I will butt heads with folks from time-to-time, something that the moderators do not want to tolerate, which is fair-it’s their site.

But if this is to truly remain an OPEN forum, then the membership must be ready for the next PUNK to come along as GBS/CIDP is not a sickness that only strikes the tolerant and congenial. I will also note that depression is a major factor in recovery and is often exacerbated by medications and painful residuals. To think that all of the members will always be posting and responding in a balanced frame of mind is difficult.

I tried to keep a lot of what was bothering me to myself and instead tried to focus on what I found positive. In doing so, I got to know many people on this forum who also wanted to share positive stories. My other goal was to speak to people in the post-acute phase of recovery in a voice that pointed towards a possible positive outcome. Doing this was a great help to me as well.

However, I also received responses and PMs that accused me of not having residuals, pain or other issues common in recovery. I was told I was a pest and that I was being TOO positive. I had to point out to some people that I DO have pain, both physically and emotionally. I had to illustrate my frustration of having young children and my fears of being able to have the physical capacity to finish raising them. Or I wrote of how my hands were largely ruined for guitar playing and my ability to lead a band stolen because of extreme fatigue. Might not seem like much to some, but to me it was a crucial part of my life.

I kept a lot of this to myself, but what did really got me going were responses by some members to people’s posts, telling them they were wrong in how they felt or understood THEIR recovery. Differing views on how to approach healing were being challenged along with comments that people were ‘foolish’ and had subscribed to ‘quackery’. People were speaking as though they had authority over others understandings of their own illness despite the FACT that there are still many GBS/CIDP ENIGMAS to be cracked.

Thus I felt the need to debate those who felt they had the ‘authority’ to tell others and myself that we were wrong in our understandings. And while the debates did become heated the notion that I was writing in hostility is only partially correct. I don’t feel as though anybody was ‘in my crosshairs’, but tell me that I don’t understand my own experiences with how MY illness was handled by some of MY medical team and yes-watch out, because I will bite back.

I appreciate the posts here by members that became close friends. I don’t know if the mods will let me back, presently my status is listed as reason for being banned-‘none’ and date the ban is to be lifted as ‘never’. That’s a pretty long time. However, I would love to hear from ANYBODY that wants to contact me. Send me an e-mail to [email]northernguitarguy@yahoo.ca[/email] and I promise to reply!

Looking back, the arguments were not worth it and in hindsight PMs would have been a better way to reply to my detractors. I would suggest that for the harmony of the forum that ALL disagreements with people’s thoughts and ideas be handled this way. Members here are going to have their ‘down’ days and open challenges on thoughts are inevitably going to lead to open conflict.

As always, please find something to put a smile on your face today and please continue to help those who are new and afraid. But try to listen and avoid public judgments. I know I look like a PUNK for my part in the argument that ended my membership. I believe there are a couple of passive-aggressive ‘punks’ as well-‘trolls’ they’re known as on internet forums. There should be no need to correct members here, only to inform as well as care for and listen to what others are saying.

Peace, love and groovy tunes!!

-northernguitarguy[/FONT]