next step

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 8:02 am

After leaving the ICU what can you look for in rehab care. I am in Atlanta but live 4 hrs south in Thomasville, Ga. (close to tallahassee,Fla.) does anyone know of any place for rehab. I have some friends checking around but thought I check on here as well?

My wife is the patient 33yrs old, been here 3wks today. she is doing better but still has sometime to get ready for the next step. We are considering staying here in Atlanta but we have been here since Dec. 11th 06. So, She is missing home pretty bad. dogs and cats 2 each.

Before this GBS hit she had had a bone marrow transplant (20th Dec.) and we had done our 98 days out of 100 post transplant and were preparing to go home, on the 26th of March the rug was pulled out from our feet and here we are. Anyway thats it in a nutshell.. If anyone has some info on rehab facilities it would be greatly appreciated.. thanks sincerely J. Scott Roberts

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 9:07 am

You can call the rehab’s at most hospitals and ask them which is better equiped for your needs. I know they were honest with me. Good luck.Actually my therapists wrote letters to get me in one that was the best.
      Tim

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 9:11 am

Also if you need to you can always looking into seeing if any of the Medical Care Facilities offer out patient rehab. I know that the one here does because I work there. Look under county facilities. Hope that helps alittle. Best of luck to you and your wife. Dawn C.

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 10:37 am

Scott:

My wife became ill with GBS while travelling in England this summer, had to be flown back to Atlanta on a stretcher jet, and is presently recovering at our home in Carrollton, Ga.

There are two centers for rehabilitation in the Atlanta: the Shepherd Center (which is near Crawford Long Hospital on Peachtree Street) and the Emory Rehabilitation Clinic. My wife was a patient at the latter facility for six weeks, and we were not terribly pleased with their care. The head of their program is Dr. Dale Strasser, who is also the head of Emory University Dept. of Rehabilitation. He’s a very intelligent caring person who, unfortunately, has not had much experience with GBS. He admitted that in his career he had only had 9-11 patients with the illness, my wife being the most serious. we have tended to find numerous errors in his understanding of the disorder, so that I make a point of sending him information by email on GBS that I have found helpful—often from this website.

Since returning to Carrollton, my wife has been going to Southern Therapy in Carrollton and has made significant improvement. Their facility is much more updated than Emory’s and they have a staff of very competent therapists. They Southern Therapy also has a facility in LaGrange, Ga., but I’m afraid that is as far south as they go.

Warm Springs, as I understand, has had some problems recently with budgeting, and they are more oriented toward stroke care than GBS. However, I have had no personal contact with them.

Sorry, that’s all I know–I hope it is of some help.

Best,

Don Chalfant

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Hello,
      Since your wife wants to go home and the hospital she’s in now probably wants to transfer her to a rehab hospital, perhaps this one will be okay, TALLAHASSEE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL HEALTHCARE REHABILITATION CENTER. Eventually, when she is stronger, you could look for a physical therapy clinic that offer aqua therapy. Pool therapy is very good for us.

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 6:35 pm

thanks for the info. I will begin to look around. We are not yet at this stage. I’m not even sure what type of rehab we will be needing? I’m just wondering and having a time with this.
      I’ve read that GBS (get better slowly) but I am amazed how cruel of a syndrome this is? 🙁 😡

Kristi has gone through the mad phase, the wanting to be alone phase and now she is at the ready to get past this. but I am just getting to the what do i do phase? and I don’t want to bother her with it? she has nodded to me that she will help me be more positive! laying there unable to move and she is willing to help me see things are ok and will be ok. I don’t mean to ramble but I guess I am. sorry thanks for the vent!!

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Welcome Scott ~ please don’t hesitate to come here with questions, concerns and “just to vent”! So many of us are here today because of our caregivers. It’s a huge job and more so when you are the spouse. I’ve watched my husband all thru these years (12+) and wonder how he’s managed. We didn’t even know that there were “others” or a website until 3 years ago! So please, welcome to “The Family” and please tell Kristi “hi” for us. I really look forward to the day when she comes on the computer to “talk” to us ~ and that day will come!! 😀

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Scott have you thought about Shands in Gainesville. They have an excellent rehab in several different areas. I am going to one of rheir Therpy centers for GBS and you are only about 2 hrs from Tally.