New to the site….Old to GBS

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2006 at 12:56 pm

Hello from Washington (west coast)
      My name is Jenny…..GBS onset was December of 1989..two days before Christmas. GBS progressed fast…..hospitalized….sent to University Hospital in Seattle for 6 treatments of Plasmapheresis (sp?) on vent for 12 days. My visit turned into a 3 mth stay. I could not have asked for better care ๐Ÿ™‚

I have been reading some of your stories…..some sound sooooo much like what I went through. I did not know their was support for GBS. Just my family ๐Ÿ™‚ Since the onset….I have not come in contact with anyone else having GBS. So I have been living with the leg and feet pain since then…..so to speak…..”stumblin’ my way through”. I did have rehab treatment for a while after….but since have not seen a Dr for any pain management with the GBS. Seen Dr for other things…just not for GBS. I guess thinking ….this is the way it’s gonna be……live with it!!!!

Don’t know why…but this year I seem to be having more trouble with the pain……getting to my feet and taking those first few steps…..feet cramp up. I am noticing a lot of feet and leg swelling (hard to walk)…..is that normal?? I went to my GP and was put on Prednazone. Swelling went down with medication…..but is reocurring more often. I wanted to ask if this is normal for GBS or this could be something else? I am not asking for mecical oppinion……..just if this is normal….anyone else out there experiencing swelling in feet and legs? In fact …great deal of swelling…(very painful)
      I will be anxious to hear back from those who have been managing years after onset of GBS. Is this the norm??

God bless and keep you ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Jenny

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Just wanted to say hi and welcome Jenny ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Hi,

To relate today’s issues to something that happened 17 years ago, might not be in your best intests. Treat it as a stand alone issue, which sounds like you have. It’s normal to have pain and swelling with GBS, but not for symptons to be absent from the start, then crop up so many years later. You would have had this all along, or off and on, all along, if it were related. There’s a lot of stuff out there that will create those symptons, and I hope you find out what soon. Don’t get caught up in any post GBS syndrome speculation, because that’s all it is.

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Thank you Jerimy and racer13 for your response.
      No …not new symptoms….feet have always swelled…..just up into the legs now…..and more pain. Was just checking if others have the same problems. I will get it checked out ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Thanks again for your reply
      God bless
      Jenny