New to the GBS forums.

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 3:00 am

Hi, I am new to this forum but I am not new to GBS. I was very surprised and happy ๐Ÿ™‚ at the same time when my wife had told me that she had found a web site dedicated to people like me, who have been through what I have been through and who could understand the lasting effects that a full blown case of GBS left me with even to this day. My story begins when I was barley 14 yrs old, I was in my freshmen year in high school, I was pretty athletic and I never ever got sick. Till one day I just kept feeling tired, all day long it felt like I had no energy, I was in school when it started to get worse to the point where I felt like I was not able to stand on my own anymore ๐Ÿ™ , the school sent me home and I just kept feeling worse when I got home. My parents thought that I had come down with a nasty flu, and so had I. By next morning my mother was worried enough about my lack of energy and not being able to stand without it feeling like I was going to fall flat on my face to take me to the DR. Well it just got worse from there my Pediatrition was not sure what was wrong with me so they sent me upstairs to a Neuro Doc who knew what was happening. I had what they called Gillian Barre syndrome, I remember at the time that I could not even pronouce it. I kept thinking of Gilligans Island :o. By the next day I could not even move. at one point they had to put me on a vent because my lungs stopped working, that out of everything scared me to death. I was on it for about a week while they filtered my blood through A pharysous (not sure how it is spelled) they took my plasma out and put new in. I was like that for over 3 months, all the time I would slowly get better but then I would get worse again. I remember When I was able to move again having to go to PT and learn how to walk all over again. I wish I could say that I came out of it just fine, but I didn’t. My left side of my body was left with weakness even to this day, I still have no reflexes in my legs, and hardly any in my arms. My left arm is the worst I can barley make a fist, and I can not even squeeze with my left hand not matter how hard I try, I just had my 17 yr anniversory back in may that is how long it has been and how long I have lived with what it did to me and left me with. I still have nightmares on the anniversory date of when I was put on a vent. I wonder if I will ever get over fully what I went through and still go through not having the stamina or the strength I once had. But I have been living. I hope some of you will share with me what you have gone through, and if there is someone out there who is going through it or is just getting over the major part and needs someone to talk to please let me know. I hope to post here quite often now that I know that I am not alone anymore.

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 9:27 am

Welcome to out “Family”. We are always delighted to have a new member ~ just sorry that you had to join us in this fashion ๐Ÿ˜ฎ We are glad to have you post with questions and answers. There are many of us “oldies” but we’re always looking for new answers and thoughts. Your wife can also find great support from other care givers. Keep smiling ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 9:32 am

Welcome Andy, we are glad that you found us.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 9:56 am

Dear AndyKat:

Welcome to our little family. I am glad you found us. I think you will find out that a lot of strange symptoms you have been having in the last 17 years are actually pretty common.

Lee

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 1:03 pm

Hi AndyKat,

Im glad you found the site, it can be a great help and a much needed source of strength a lot of the time.