neurotin vs lyrica

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2008 at 9:10 pm

It seems to me that most here seem very knowledable on meds. What are your feelings on neurotin vs lyrica.

My hubby was on nuerotin for a time, but didn’t like the way it made him feel. He said he got REALLY blue on it and didn’t like the thoughts it made him have. He tried lyrica and at first it was great. Really helped the pain, but then it stopped being as effective. The dr uped his ivig (50grams biweekly) hoping that would help. It didn’t, so the dr stopped the lyrica and now he is taking tegratol (sp). Also he is on Kadian 2x day and has vicodin prn. I know nerve pain is the hardest to treat, but sometimes I wonder if there is anything out there we don’t know about (small town, small town drs)

thanks for the help

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2008 at 8:45 am

Hi there,

I have been on both. For me Neurontin made me a zombie because of the large dose I required to actually help me. Lyrica has been much better for me because I take a much smaller dose and don’t have as many of the side effects.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info.

• Anonymous
      July 24, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Your very welcome, I hope it helps you guys.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2009 at 3:50 am

Hi there, It is so hard to say which is the lesser of the evils….. I can say that when I was on Neurontin, I lost my memory. Not the kind of memory like “where did I put my keys”? It was more like “Oh My God! I never dropped the kids off at school! They have been in the car for hours”! Thankfully I had dropped them off, but I was loosing hours of memory! That was really scary! When I was on Lyrica, I was a zombie. I slept and was forgetfull. I was non functioning. That is not an option for a married mother of 2 so I had to stop it. I just tried Cymbalta. It worked great on the pain! The problem was that I was sleeping about 18 hours a day. I stopped taking it on Sunday and here we are on Thursday and the pain is back:confused:
      I have heard Cymbalta is the newest off label treatment. Maybe you won’t get the nasty side effects I did and relief will come.
      PS: Since off the Cymbalta, sleeping too much is no longer an issue. It is 3:50 am and I can’t sleep. Maybe I will use it as a sleeping pill instead!:D

• Anonymous
      February 22, 2010 at 3:43 am

[QUOTE=guskno]Hi there, It is so hard to say which is the lesser of the evils….. I can say that when I was on Neurontin, I lost my memory. Not the kind of memory like “where did I put my keys”? It was more like “Oh My God! I never dropped the kids off at school! They have been in the car for hours”! Thankfully I had dropped them off, but I was loosing hours of memory! That was really scary! When I was on Lyrica, I was a zombie. I slept and was forgetfull. I was non functioning. That is not an option for a married mother of 2 so I had to stop it. I just tried Cymbalta. It worked great on the pain! The problem was that I was sleeping about 18 hours a day. I stopped taking it on Sunday and here we are on Thursday and the pain is back:confused:
      I have heard Cymbalta is the newest off label treatment. Maybe you won’t get the nasty side effects I did and relief will come.
      PS: Since off the Cymbalta, sleeping too much is no longer an issue. It is 3:50 am and I can’t sleep. Maybe I will use it as a sleeping pill instead!:D[/QUOTE]

Lycra made me stand in the kitchen and eat non stop

Neurontin helps as long as I keep the dosage in the 1600-2400mg range.
      I’m also on 120 mg of Cymbalts that really does wonders but BC only covers 1 pill a day and a $55 co pay for that one pill a day. I pay out of pocket about $148 a month for the other pill so just on cymbalta I’m at $200 a month out of pocket

• Anonymous
      February 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I realize everyone is different and requires a different regiment … but this is what is working for me:
      Morning:
      10 mg Namenda
      Dinner:
      300 mg Gabapentin (neurotin)
      10 mg Namenda
      Bedtime:
      600 mg Gabapentin
      .5 mg Klonopin
      50 mg Nortriptyline

I agree with “The Other Mike” when he said, “Lycra made me stand in the kitchen and eat non stop” … it was horrible!!! Only marginally helped the pain but truly hurt the waist line!

The Namenda was developed for both nerve pain and for Alzheimer’s by regulating the way some signals are sent/received. Others in the forum have tried and not received the same benefit I’ve felt.

Hope this somehow helps,