Neurologist's role during recovery

• January 25, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Hello everyone.
      My grandfather was diagnosed withe GBS in September of 2017. He is 87 years old and from what I’ve read the prognosis tends to be worse with older age. I’ve read online that recovery can sometimes take up to 2 or 3 years after diagnosis. He is currently in a long term skilled nursing facility and on a ventilator. My question is are neurologists supposed to be involved during the recovery period? My grandfather only saw one neurologist and that was when he diagnosed in 2017. He’s had some physical therapy but for the most part that is it. He’s recovered some movement in his arms and legs but can’t stand or walk. My family is thinking of trying to get a neurologist involved so we can see the depth of the damaged nerves. Any answers or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

• January 30, 2019 at 8:56 am

Yes a neurologist should be involved! Unfortunately when it comes to GBS you need family members to advocate on your behalf, especially while in a nursing home. I was in a nursing home last year June to September. I saw a neurologist ONCE while there. I had to research and find my own neurologist and schedule an appointment. Please take action and get ur grandfather the proper help and care he needs. Do Not rely on the facility. Please take my advice.