Neurologist gone nuts

• August 22, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hi everybody I caught a cold from a co-worker and my CIDP flared up for the first time since plasma exchange on 7-16 to 7-20. I had to leave work on Tuesday because of low strength in my hands now all the usual symptoms are back. I went to my neurologist and he told me to tuff it out and wait for cold to go away then things will improve. Has anyone had a cold that messed them up bad, and did you recover okay? By the way I did not get any time off work to recover from the cold and I think this is kind of uncaring of my doctor and I hope he’s right and this will end soon.

• GH
      August 22, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Doctors can’t do anything about a cold — a neurologist is no different there. Whether you get time off from work is between you and your employer. My experience is that doctors won’t get involved with that unless you are so seriously ill that you are unable to work. A cold certainly wouldn’t qualify. I don’t understand what is “nuts” here.

In my own case, when my CIDP was developing and had reached a point at which I could barely get to my feet, my GP sent a note to my employer at my request confirming that I was unable to work. Then a neurologist put me in the hospital, which settled that.

Best to stay home for awhile and have chicken soup.