NC BCBS IVIG supplier change

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2009 at 1:19 am

Got letter from NC State Employees Blue Cross Benefit Department stating change over July 1 ,2009 of IVIG supplier/nurses.
      As of July 1, 2009 my deductible will be $ 2,500.00 and monthly co-pays.Guessing $ 500.00 at least a month I’ll have to pay.
      Up to now the payments have been very minimal plus current supplier paid for home nurses. My disability check is all I have as income.

Is anyone else having this happen to them? Please contact me.

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2009 at 10:05 am

I think you should apply for Medicaid. If you are receiving disability I think you are automatically eligible for Medicaid. Medicaid should pick up the deductible.

We get Emily’s IVIG from a home care company pharmacy & we use their nurses. So far we’ve been lucky. We’ve had a few replacement nurses out here that suck but for the most part we’re ok with them.

One thing to keep in mind is that when these nurses come to your house you may have to train them on the way you want things done. Keep a close eye on what they are doing & how they are doing it. If they start to do something you are not comfortable with speak up. It’s your right to do so!

Good luck,
      Kelly

• June 17, 2009 at 11:18 pm

If you use Gammaguard, they have a program where they help you if you have lost your insurance or cannot afford it. Go online to Baxter, if you were using gammaguard and you can sign up. But you have to do it before you loose coverage or cannot pay the deduct. Other companies offer similar programs as well.
      good luck,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2009 at 12:00 am

The new company has nurses who are renown for cranking up the pump to 300/400. I start getting sick at 90.
      The medical insurers are making it harder on chronic illnesses that need $$$ medications.How Big Pharma is trying to get the biggest bite out of charging the already outrageous cost for IVIG and other medications. Giving us no choice as in the Main Forum Post about Medicare cutting back for IVIG users.
      My neurologist is concerned as to how this will affect his patients.
      The July 1, 2009 change over date is also BCBS users of growth hormones, MS and many other immune diseases meds.
      Medicaid is hard to get as I make too much according to my state’s strict guidelines.
      Somehow I’ll handle the extra cost. I have no other options as IVIG gives me more quality if life.