Nate’s PT Evaluation

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 2:22 pm

I took Nate for an evaluation at Sharp Grossmont Hospital yesterday. They come highly recommended by our doctor and others I know who have gone there.
      After not having any PT for 6 or so weeks, Nate was ready.
      The girl who did his evaluation was very thorough and checked him from head to toe.
      She made us both feel very reassured that he needed and could get a lot of therapy with her recommendations to his insurance.
      We asked her about water therapy and she said she might ask for it later but for now she wants to get him loosened up as much as possible.
      Being in a recliner a lot and not laying flat has not helped.
      Nate has a lot of really tight muscles in his hips and thighs, making it hard to stretch out.
      She showed Nate some positions she wants him to get into on his own bed and some excercises to get himself loosened up before he starts his actual PT.
      It should be a couple of weeks before it actually gets started.
      Nate and I were both impressed at how big the PT area is and how well equipped they are with everything he will need.
      She also gave us names of a good Neurologist and Orthopedic doc for Nate, right across the parking lot from the Hospital.
      Its hard to believe he was diagnosed just about a year ago and is just now getting to have some really good therapy.
      Between insurance screw ups happening twice, everything was dropped. It took quiet awhile to get it all untangled.
      Now maybe he will make some good progress.

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Hi: I think that all sounds wonderful. I found PT very helpful and one of the hardest parts but most important was loosening my tight muscles. It was very painful but after a while made a big difference. I had PT for a month right after I got out of the hospital while in a rehab hospital. When I got out rehab I went to the facility required by my insurance where they told me there was nothing more they could do for me! I was very disappointed in their attitude which was stupid but could go nowhere else because of costs. So at least after the insurance screw ups you got to some place worthwhile. Hope it all works well for him. Jeff

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 5:47 pm

hi natesmom,

is the neuro’s name er-kai gao? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2006 at 11:45 pm

Hi Gene, its Christopher Bradley. He’s right there by the Hospial.
      I will be calling Tuesday to see if he takes MediCal. I hope so.
      I will also be calling Orthopedic Dr. Martzen for Nate’s ankle and knee problems.
      The girl who evaluated him is Lyn. She says he needs a specially fitted brace for that ankle. She was surprised that nothing had been done about that already.
      I wasn’t. Nothing has gone right this whole past year.
      It’s time for things to start going better and for Nate to get somewhere. Enough with the brick walls.

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 12:04 am

Trudy,

I am so happy to hear that things are starting to look up for you guys. Sounds like this place will be great for him. You guys contact me anytime if you need to. Happy New Year.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 1:59 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have a feeling Grossmont’s PT dept is just what Nate needs and with all the docs around there, he should be able to get things done that should have been a long time ago.
      I have a very good feeling about all of it.

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 11:17 am

hi natesmom,

just cuz i haven’t heard of chris bradley doesn’t mean he is not good. you should ask him though how many cases of gbs he handled last year & total in his career. gao is a neuromuscular guy w experience. he’s a little hard to understand at times, but knows his stuff. he, too, is right by grossmont. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for that Gene. If Dr. Bradley does not take MediCal, I will be calling your doc.
      Have your gone for PT at Grossmont yourself?

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 3:18 pm

unfortunately my first set of docs never sent me for pt/ot. your pt setup sounds good. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Nate had PT in the Hospital while he was in St Joseph in Orange, then he had it in Fountain Care until his insurance was cancelled for NO reason while he was paying Cobra for Blue Shield Insurance.
      Then he couldn’t get any PT at all because MediCal would not pay for it on long term care.
      It took me 5 mos for someone at Blue Shield to listen to me and resinstate his coverage.
      They finally did with the help of the nice lady at Cobra who e-mailed them and sent them copies of Nate’s payments.
      Suddenly someone figured out that they had cancelled him in ERROR.
      Then PT came and took him for an evaluation that should have happened months before that. 3 days later they stood him up for the first time in 8 mos.
      I took him home about 6 weeks later and he cancelled Blue Shield Cobra. I don’t blame him.
      He qualified easily for MediCal in SD and here they seem to know what they’re doing.
      Now it looks like things will get better finally. Its about time.
      I just hope his transition from SSA Disability to SSI will go ok. He has that coming up next month.