my visit to neurologist -I still have pain

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 8:08 am

Hi everybody, thanks so much for all your input regarding my last post of severe pain in neck and shoulders. I went to a neurologist after trying several pain meds given by md. I had a allergic reactions to everything, tramdol, vicodin, lidocaine patch. The particular neurologist I went to was very unsympathetic and and did not address any of my questions. He told me to take Advil (I already have acid reflux and any anti inflammatory just increases it) and then he suggested that I have an MRI and take a blood test to see what my B cells were like. He completely disregarded my gbs as having any residuals and suggested that I might have CIDP, but he highly felt that because my reflexes were good that either had anything to do with my chronic pain. I explained that my pain comes and goes every three months or so and that I kept a journal of how long it lasted and what I took for it and how this time it started in the same place but has lasted more than 6 weeks – it usually lasts about 2 weeks and disappears as quickly as it came on. He just discounted everything I told him I was experiencing. I felt ripped off and so I decided not to take the tests or the MRI. I would really like to find a doctor of some kind who would try to listen to my problems and to the reactions I have to drugs. This particular neurologist finally gave me a a RX for Robaxin. I looked up side effects on internet and they far outweighed the neck pain. I am just now recovering from taking 2 Tramdol 200 mg one on one day the other two days later. I became dizzy, nauseous, irritable, itchy rash, and vomitting. I am desperate to find help for this pain without all the side effects. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Have you ever tried neurontin or lyrica? They work well for nerve pain. I have 28 allergies but I don’t have a problem with neurontin. Check it out online and talk with your dr. I would also find a new neuro, one who works for you. Take care.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I agree with Cheryl, you need a new neuro who will work with you, not against you. How frustrating! I take Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) for nerve pain and Baclofen for muscle pain. Maybe you could ask a doc if these might be something you could try? Good luck to you!

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 3:06 am

I can sure feal your pain !!! It burns me up to see some arrogant sucker like that neurologist you seen. They don’t know beans from applebutter ! Bunny, try these and you will get some relief, so that you can survive anyway…Here goes…Lyrica, cymbalta,baclofin,flexeril, and 80mg of oxycontin when needed. Let us know how this works for you.

Good luck,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 4:09 am

I know how you feel and I too am very hypersensitive to certain medications. I am even allergic to certain antibiotics so any medication scares me to death. Some medications are to strong for my system so I have developed a way of taking things that help me to adjust to them. I take Flexeril for my neck and back pain. But before I started taking it, I cut them in 1/4 pills and only took 1/4 of the pill. I took that 1 week and then took half the next week and now I am taking the full pill. Talk with this neuro and see if he can RX you something that you can cut in 4 ways and see how it works for you. This may help you in taking certain pills. I too have acid reflux really bad and take Metaclopam and I take that in 1/4 ways too. Any medication that has the ER on them though you can’t cut the pills because they are time released. Like Ultram ER and ZanaxER. So request that you do not have these because of the hypersensitivity to meds. Gapapentin is a very good medication but it is a bit strong when first taking. I took mine to start at bedtime and waited an hour to see how I did. Now I am taking 6 of them a day! Maybe some of my suggestions will work. Hope you get relief soon! Hugs

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 8:36 am

I use cannabis for pain control as often as I can. The only side-effect I have from cannabis is a sense of well-being. 12 U.S. states have medical marijuana laws, maybe more now since elections yesterday.
      Peace,
      Flower