My story regarding missed dx

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 2:13 am

First and foremost: I have been going thru everyones threads as I did not know to scroll down and see how to post. Dag nabit. I feel so stupid but the stubity was in not asking. I learn something every dayl

Now I will try and shorten this if I can. My husband Bill was wrongly diagnosed with cidp back in Jan. 2008. Although the doc felt for sure was cidp.Previous neuros said periphial As most stories go the first 2 years were stretched with nothing new . After changing both family docs and neuros we settled on #3 neuro. Assistant said he was a genius.Ha!
      1. Prednasone and Imuran (brings down immune sys) I questioned this as we were going to Disney with grandchildren. [B]Doc said don’t worry he will be fine. [/B] Wrong. He could hardly walk due to weakness.
      2. I both doc and parctioner stated they he thought he was improvement. I did not agree. But of course they did not put into their notes. [B][/B]One week after returning he had sepsis[B][/B] Almost died
      3. Weaning off pred. and stopped immuran- onto ivig. 6 weeks apart and no change. 2nd ivig-no change. Asked practicioner to ask dr. for closer. Look outside the box. Answer No. Reason : Not his protocal.
      4. Now of pp. with no change either. Finally husband agreed to get 2nd opinion-Clev Clinic.
      5. Neuro refused initally to give me emg and send bioposy..Said trust me 2nd opinion will not need them. I insisted as he gave only written report and not full emg.with scale. I only knew not complete as I compared to first docs emg.
      6. spinal test – no protein 7. surel nerve bioposy not showing onion bulb.
      never saying what that meant as I thought not showing meant good.

After 10 months with neuro we have correct dx worse than the first. Why I am telling you this is do not stop at first opinion no matter what. The patient sometimes feels a loyalty as my husband felt and (he was a genius) but any good neuro will not only suggest it but will encourage it, which ours did not even though he knew an uncle died of this new dx. He never gave us info on what he tested for and never told us he tested for this when he did nerve bioposy. I found out about the onion bulb and questioned him about it but he said not everyone has onion bulb. Test came back nothing but he needed to slice it and dice it according to Clev Clinic which he supposedly is doing now but worst of all he said ” IT HAPPENS” and He does not do dna tests (which proved it)”BECAUSE MEDICARE PAYS NOT PAY FOR IT” He never shared that as we are the ones to decide this.

Although I am thankful we found the truth I am oh so bitter with this docs attitude and incompetance. When we had questions we always had to go thru his nurse. She most always stopped us from asking him. ex: Sores in mouth do baking soda. He had sepsis and hospital treated it with a medicine not baking soda, This is just a few items.

I am suggesting again do not let your spouse put off 2nd opinion just because doc is either good or bad and nothing is improving. Do it please.

Bill has Familia amyloidosis the inherited type as there are others . His is extremely rare and his mutation is also rare. There are lots of different mutations. Other Amyloidosis can be treated other ways (trials,stem cell transplants, ) His may not be treatable except with possibly a liver transplant which is also not completely safe. I have been reading about transplants and sometimes the patient may live longer without transplant if done too early but waiting may also be bad. Trials are not always successful as you may get the placebo not the real deal. But real deals may not even do it.

The former doc said not treatable and no liver transplant possible with this disease.
      We have not signed up with either Mayo or Boston U yet as we are working with a researcher who was willing to give us the real deal and did a stomach bioposy and more blood tests . We want to see where this will go first . He has asked for info about uncle which we are working on and he knows another researcher in Indianapolis who may have had more subjects like Bill. He himself thought he only had one that rare. He explained the best he could about the mutation and why it was rare. He will study the blood tests under a microscope himself. We are open for more researchers in case he cannot help us but so far only problem is his age, however people voted for McCain didn’t they? I needed some humor.
      My husband had every right to be mad but never showed it. Later I did cry in from of him and said I did not want him to die and he said he was not going to and he was ok. I cannot figure out why he was not mad or upset. He says not use getting yourself upset-nothing you can do about it. I want to scream . I cry every day but again not in front of him.
      I had a sister who was misdiagnosed at l7 years and died
      A mother who needed surgery and two doctors disagreed if surgery came first or stopping blood thinner and then surgery. We were made to decide even we are not doctors. It was the wrong thing and she died.

I will not let this happen again as I am a fighter and very proactive.I have made Bill do things my children disagreed with and made decisions they disagreed with but I am here and someday they will understand you do everything you can to help your partner. They are young and will go thru a crisis some day and remember to tell their children as I have told them to not judge them and just trust them and support them all they can.
      I thank everyone on this site for their undying support , their help and kindness with all my heart. I could not go thru this alone

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 8:37 am

Hey Joan! I totally agree about people being misdiagnosed and you are so right. When you see yourself not getting better with certain treatments then sometimes it’s best to get a second opinion and even a third.
      And at a good hospital too! Even checking about a top notch neurologist!
      Joan! I really hate that Bill has had to go through such a terrible time.
      Now that Bill knows what he has, he has that chance to fight this. I think Bill is going to be a fighter!
      You have my prayers and hugs coming your way!

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 9:31 am

Joan I am so sorry to hear your story on Bill. It must be so frustrating. Why some docs just don’t listen. Isn’t there some oath they take to HELP their patients. Instead they let their egos get in the way, they think they know everything and how dare you question them… Trouble is most docs try to stick to your alloted time, most have appts scheduled every 15 min., which means you have to cram everything in before he starts looking at the clock instead of listening to you. After three weeks in one hospital, my neuro tried IVIG, then PE and I wasn’t getting any better, the whole time he had been consulting with his colleagues at Johns Hopkins, he sent me to Johns Hopkins for re-eval to see if they came up with the same dx. Spent a week there, same tests, same dx and sent to another hospital for Rehab. If something isn’t working or helping the doc should want another opinion, he should be consulting with his cronies and getting to the bottom of the problem. Not shooing you out the door more confused and frustrated while he’s already going to the next patient. Oooooo I am so mad/upset for you and your hub at what you have been through. Praying that you get the help, strength and guidance you need from Above and some caring, knowledgeable docs. Hugs to you both!

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Joan, I know this is a struggle for you. But as I have told you before, you are a strong and determined woman and you will get through this. Please continue to come here. Even though Bill’s diagnosis id not CIDP, you’re one of the family and we will continue to be here fro you as best we can. I have done my research and talked to folks about Bill’s illness. It is rare and I do understand now the difficulties you face ahead of you. Will continue to pray that you get through this with continued love and grace
      Best Always.

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 8:16 pm

It is so hard to know something is wrong and not know what it is; it is also very hard to know what something is if it is bad. I think it is harder still if you feel like, even in part, that you together are isolated in caring–in realizing how important in life it is. Your sadness about the doctor that did not listen is clear. Your sadness before in your kids reactions is clear, but I think it is hard for lots of people to look out for the longterm when the shortterm issues are themselves painful to deal with. Your kids will come to understand. I hope you find a doctor to help that will.
      I would like to say what we advise families of children with cancer because it applies….
      1. Follow your heart in your decisions.
      2. Each decision you make, make it with the understanding that it was made with the best effort you could with the information that was available at that time and forgive yourself if the outcome is not what you hoped. You as family made the best choices that you could at the time for your mother and for Bill. When you take a fork in the road, try not to go back and be mad with yourself for not knowing the best route to travel–especially later when you find where the other road led. Be kind to your own selves.
      3. Any team helping to take care of someone ill needs to include both people with knowledge and objectivity as well as people who love them and know them. Listen to your heart about what works for Bill and keep advocating for him. I hope you find a medical provider that listens to you as a “Bill expert” and believes in you are the strong and courageous advocate that you are. I would wonder if he will not continue to need neurologic expertise because of the symptoms of amyloidosis.

I am not trying to lecture or smooth over anything that is said. I am just trying to say that we are family here and we do support you and understand the need to know, the need to be heard, and also the need to be kind about any past decisions. I came to the hospital this weekend to talk with a family with a child whose cancer had returned and despite four different treatments in the last several months, nothing is stopping this tumor from getting worse and worse. They are an extremely loving family and strong advocates and have done everything they can for their little one. Some of the hospital people are upset that they want to keep fighting for their child including life-support as he is so extremely sick. But most, because it is a caring children’s hospital realize that you treat child and family, now and future, and that this family needs to feel at peace with the decisions that are made and that they are heard as their heart cries out for love of their little one as he is dying. Each moment is precious. All of this got me into this mindset about families. Sorry if it is heavy.

I hope that you continue to come here as family as well. Even though CIDP is rare, neuropathy from amyloidosis is a lot rarer and a lot of the issues will be the same.
      WithHope

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2008 at 3:12 am

These last few days have been very hard trying to face some terrible realizations. I know some said that maybe Bill was just protecting me by not showing his feelings. That maybe so but it is not about the house,car, bills,etc. it is about the ugly diagnosis. The last apt with that neuro was very difficult for me since I did not want to upset Bill by being too angry with the doc but I also felt the doc needed to know how strongly I felt about him wasting our time as time is not on our side. He hardly took his eyes off me as I listened to him make excuses and him studying the expression on my face. Just saying he does not do dna’s because Medicare does not pay for it. We are talking about a life here.

This is not a typical disease. Amyloidosis itself is rare but the herditary Amyloidosis (Familial) is even rarer because the bad protein is coming directly from the liver so a liver transplant is the only possible treatment. That in itself is not always a terrific option. Although his has attacked his nerves like cidp but it was not demyelinating meaning not mylin but the axons were being attacked, plus this disease attacks the Organs. Other types of Amyloidosis are studied more as there are more treatments for them although still rare. But they are soon to do some new trials on the other types but not the Familial type.Primary is the most known type.

This also means our two children need to be tested. They are worried also .
      We have 5 grandchildren but they are too young to be tested as it would not show up this early. there were signs of this with the symptoms like carpel tunnel which my husband had surgery for maybe 15 years ago. My son has had this problem for a couple of years now. We have been in contact with a cousin who ‘s father died from this and we are checking with the doctor who treated her father. This affects men more than women. Our new doc is a researcher and wanted as much info as we could get from the family.. This does not mean anyone with carpel tunnel will get this it just is one earlier symptom. I guess with the economy as it is now I am truely worried about the research being cut off for this disease . Bill had a stomach biopsy and more blood tests and we will know more as time goes on if any of his organs have already been involved. I do suspect one right now. We can only hope for some new treatment to be discovered. They have checked his heart out with a echo-cardiogram and a thryroid ct scan has also been done.I had already made him see a cardiologist for ekg and eye dr this year but I am sure more organs will be tested. We will find out if we need to get him on a list for a liver transplant but we do not want this yet.

I have learned so much in the last week and I still cry but I have not stopped trying to learn about this disease. I know where the gene is located and what it is called. What I do not know is if it makes a difference . That is my next question. Bill seems resigned or else he is just not facing it. Not sure. What I have pushed for is getting things done here that are necessary. Our trust needs redone since we moved, things like this that should have been done before. He is a procastinator. I appreciate the wisdom you have Hope and wonder how you cope with things. What is your line of work? You seem so knowledgeable. I do not always know what to do next.

Maybe I should feel ashamed for taking up so much time with my grief when there are others (like the young child you talk about ) who should have a longer life to live but may never get there. I do care about others but I just am not ready to face the music and I do not know how to have faith. I wish I could be more like some of you who have gone thru so much more and you can still have faith. I have lost it somewhere down the line.

I have not found a amyloidosis support group yet but I will try again so I will not come here as often except to check on some of you.

Thanks for all you help.
      Love Ya

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2008 at 8:57 am

Joan, You are family here. Do not ever feel ashamed for taking up time with your grief. We are here to give each other support and you need that support now more than ever. As you and Bill go through your struggles, let us be your support for the difficult times ahead.
      Blessings
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2008 at 9:30 am

Joan, even when you give up on your faith, God does not give up on you. The one thing that kept me going and my faith strong was that realization. I also love the Footprints poem where there is only one set of footprints behind you on the beach and it says that God was carrying you…those were His footprints.

One night, when everything was so bad and I thought I just could not go on another day, I was lying in bed praying. I told God I just could not bear this pain any more…both the physical and emotional pain. The emotional pain I was in was worse than the physical. Anyway, I told God I was offering up my pain and suffering to Him and that I could no longer carry my grief. It had gotten to heavy. At that point I truly meant it with all my heart. As I lay there trying to fall asleep, I felt this sudden weight lift off me, almost as if I had just lost 50 lbs. in a matter of moments. I knew that God had stepped up to the plate and was carrying me when I needed him most. He does not desert us or leave us. You just have to hand yourself over to Him and let Him work those miracles in your life. I also believe in two other things. 1). God will never give you more than you can handle. He has faith in your personal strength and power. 2). Sometimes the answer God gives us in not what we want to hear. But He knows the reason behind His decisions and in time that purpose will be revealed to us.

Give yourself up to Him. Let Him carry you for a while. God Bless and please stay in touch. Best Always

Janet

• October 21, 2008 at 9:49 am

Dear Joan,
      Not sure what or how to say anything. Do know that I am thinking about you and your family. I understand the fear you feel regarding your other children being tested. When Kevie was first dx., we were told it was cmt and my other son should be tested and we should consider making provisions for them both. A hard pill to swallow. About loosing your faith somewhere. When you are ready to find it, it will be there waiting. In the meantime, we here, will keep it safe for you. I hope you can find a support group for the illness specifically, as it will offer you more exact info on the illness itself. but maybe you can continue to come here for support for you. I think this site is more than just a cidp site. You have made friends here who care about Joan, the caregiver. I do not have cidp and come here for me many times and am never let down.
      Best wishes and strong thoughts sent your way.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Hey Joan I did a amyloidosis support group search on Google and found a couple of websites. I hope you still visit us and keep us posted on how you and your hub and family are doing. Best Wishes!
      [url]http://www.amyloidosissupport.com/[/url]
      [url]http://dailystrength.org/c/Amyloidosis/support-group[/url]
      [url]http://www.mdjunction.com/amyloidosis[/url]

My story regarding missed dx

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 2:07 am

First and foremost: I have been going thru everyones threads as I did not know to scroll down and see how to post. Dag nabit. I feel so stupid but the stubity was in not asking. I learn something every dayl

Now I will try and shorten this if I can. My husband Bill was wrongly diagnosed with cidp back in Jan. 2008. Although the doc felt for sure was cidp.Previous neuros said periphial As most stories go the first 2 years were stretched with nothing new . After changing both family docs and neuros we settled on #3 neuro. Assistant said he was a genius.Ha!
      1. Prednasone and Imuran (brings down immune sys) I questioned this as we were going to Disney with grandchildren. [B]Doc said don’t worry he will be fine. [/B] Wrong. He could hardly walk due to weakness.
      2. I both doc and parctioner stated they he thought he was improvement. I did not agree. But of course they did not put into their notes. [B][/B]One week after returning he had sepsis[B][/B] Almost died
      3. Weaning off pred. and stopped immuran- onto ivig. 6 weeks apart and no change. 2nd ivig-no change. Asked practicioner to ask dr. for closer. Look outside the box. Answer No. Reason : Not his protocal.
      4. Now of pp. with no change either. Finally husband agreed to get 2nd opinion-Clev Clinic.
      5. Neuro refused initally to give me emg and send bioposy..Said trust me 2nd opinion will not need them. I insisted as he gave only written report and not full emg.with scale. I only knew not complete as I compared to first docs emg.
      6. spinal test – no protein 7. surel nerve bioposy not showing onion bulb.
      never saying what that meant as I thought not showing meant good.

After 10 months with neuro we have correct dx worse than the first. Why I am telling you this is do not stop at first opinion no matter what. The patient sometimes feels a loyalty as my husband felt and (he was a genius) but any good neuro will not only suggest it but will encourage it, which ours did not even though he knew an uncle died of this new dx. He never gave us info on what he tested for and never told us he tested for this when he did nerve bioposy. I found out about the onion bulb and questioned him about it but he said not everyone has onion bulb. Test came back nothing but he needed to slice it and dice it according to Clev Clinic which he supposedly is doing now but worst of all he said ” IT HAPPENS” and He does not do dna tests (which proved it)”BECAUSE MEDICARE PAYS NOT PAY FOR IT” He never shared that as we are the ones to decide this.

Although I am thankful we found the truth I am oh so bitter with this docs attitude and incompetance. When we had questions we always had to go thru his nurse. She most always stopped us from asking him. ex: Sores in mouth do baking soda. He had sepsis and hospital treated it with a medicine not baking soda, This is just a few items.

I am suggesting again do not let your spouse put off 2nd opinion just because doc is either good or bad and nothing is improving. Do it please.

Bill has Familia amyloidosis the inherited type as there are others . His is extremely rare and his mutation is also rare. There are lots of different mutations. Other Amyloidosis can be treated other ways (trials,stem cell transplants, ) His may not be treatable except with possibly a liver transplant which is also not completely safe. I have been reading about transplants and sometimes the patient may live longer without transplant if done too early but waiting may also be bad. Trials are not always successful as you may get the placebo not the real deal. But real deals may not even do it.

The former doc said not treatable and no liver transplant possible with this disease.
      We have not signed up with either Mayo or Boston U yet as we are working with a researcher who was willing to give us the real deal and did a stomach bioposy and more blood tests . We want to see where this will go first . He has asked for info about uncle which we are working on and he knows another researcher in Indianapolis who may have had more subjects like Bill. He himself thought he only had one that rare. He explained the best he could about the mutation and why it was rare. He will study the blood tests under a microscope himself. We are open for more researchers in case he cannot help us but so far only problem is his age, however people voted for McCain didn’t they? I needed some humor.
      My husband had every right to be mad but never showed it. Later I did cry in from of him and said I did not want him to die and he said he was not going to and he was ok. I cannot figure out why he was not mad or upset. He says not use getting yourself upset-nothing you can do about it. I want to scream . I cry every day but again not in front of him.
      I had a sister who was misdiagnosed at l7 years and died
      A mother who needed surgery and two doctors disagreed if surgery came first or stopping blood thinner and then surgery. We were made to decide even we are not doctors. It was the wrong thing and she died.

I will not let this happen again as I am a fighter and very proactive.I have made Bill do things my children disagreed with and made decisions they disagreed with but I am here and someday they will understand you do everything you can to help your partner. They are young and will go thru a crisis some day and remember to tell their children as I have told them to not judge them and just trust them and support them all they can.
      I thank everyone on this site for their undying support , their help and kindness with all my heart. I could not go thru this along.