my dad has GBS

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 8:31 am

I am new to this thread so forgive me if I get long winded or leave something out. Last Friday morning, my dad complained that his tooth felt funny. He went to the dentist who sent him to an oral surgeon who told him to make an appointment and that he may need root canal. By Friday evening, when my mom saw him, his entire left side of the face was sagging, although he did not notice it. My mom immediately brought him to NYU Medical Center ER and after doing a number of tests, admitted him thinking he had a stroke. He was coherent, making jokes, working on his Treo, a bit scared but comfortable. My mom left him there at about 1am.

By about 9am Saturday morning, his tongue was completely numb and he was having difficulty forming words. His left arm was almost entirely immobile and his right shoulder was beginning to get weak. While the doctors were discussing his symptoms my mom mentioned that he had had are really bizarre stomach thing the week before. Bells went off and they were fairly sure that it was GBS. By 1pm, he was having extreme difficulty clearing the mucus out of his throat and very little movement in his right arm. They moved him to the ICU rather quickly. By 2pm, they decided to intubate him, recognizing that this was progressing fast. When I arrived from NC at 4pm, he was heavily sedated. They lowered the sedation soon after I arrived to wake him up and check his neuro function. He, at that time, was able to open his eyes, move his head yes or no, and move his left foot. They then decided to give him IVIG. By about 7pm, he was unable to move his left leg or his head. He was able to open both eyes and blink once for yes, twice for no. Over night, his fever spiked at 101.something but came down in the morning.

Sunday morning he only had function is his left eye- still able to communication with blinks. Meanwhile, his bloodpressure was all over the place and there was an incredible amount of blood in his folley(sp?). A urologist decided it was probably catheter trauma and redid it. His fever, which went up and down, seemed to be controlled by meds. Late Sunday afternoon, he had his 2nd dose of IVIG. The night was seemingly uneventful.

Monday morning was about the same. He still had function in only 1 eye, blood pressure jumped around, fever up and down, 3 does of IVIG. After speaking with the neurologist, he showed concern at just how quickly my dad’s case progressed.

Not much changed Tuesday either. He had his fourth and final dose of IVIG and the doctors were talking about Plasmapheresis and a tracheostomy- but not yet.

Wednesday (yesterday), my dad opened both eyes, albeit very slightly. He still responded appropriately with blinks and indicated that he was uncomfortable. The doctors initially talked about slowly lowering his Propofol (sedative) rather than just stopping it, to wake him and check his neuro progress. Just as they began this process, the MRI/Anesthesiologist called the ICU saying they had an opening and he was brought down immediately. They did not expect to find anything in the MRI but did it as a precaution and the initial feeling was that they, indeed, did not find anything. All this movement and fussing made him very agitated and they eventually increased the sedative to where he was comfortable but not really responsive enough to assess his progress.

And that’s where we’re at this morning. I don’t think I mentioned that he is 72 and never really been sick in his life other than a cold here and there and that odd stomach thing a week and 1/2 ago (which we are fairly sure was campylobacter). We are trying to take it one day at a time.

I have not had the ability to search through this entire site but I did not see anyone who was as old as my dad or had symptoms progress as quickly. I would love to hear of similar stories, if only for my comfort. I know he is going to recover, I know that the recovery is subjective to the patient and other factors but it sure is hard seeing him in this way.

Sorry for the long post. I have to admit that it feels kind of good to get this all out.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 9:12 am

I feel very sorry for you, you are going down the same path we ahve travelled with my FIL. He is 80. He got GBS in June.
      He was int he army, very active all his life, never got sick. Then he complained about pain in his calfs. He has diabetes, and the dr thought it might be because of that. so he ordered the electro test for him. Well he woke us up in the middle of the night, he was screaming in pain, we dailed 911 and the ambulance took him to the ER, we are in Denville, NJ. It was a great hospital. He was diagnosed about 48 hours later, first they thought it was a diabetic condition, then maybe a herniated disc, since the pain was in his calfs and working up his legs. It was not numbness, but pain he had. Then that same evening he was eating dinner at the hospital and his eyes started rolling back and he wasnt able to chew his food, it was falling out of his mouth. Then they thought it was a stroke, so they did all the tests for that and everything came back negative, then they thought it was Lyme disease. they did the spinal tap for that, Lyme cam back negative, but the white blood cells were high, which means it was GBS, the nurse printed everything out she could find ont he internet. I was so fed up I wanted to take him home, we were there two days and they could not find out what was wrong with him!. But when I read about GBS, it was amazing, the symptoms were exactly what dad was going through!.
      He was there for about 2 months, he only lost use of his legs, waist down and mouth, eyes and head. He was never ventilated. they say ti was because they caught it early enough. When they were testing for Lyme and herniated disk, they had already started the IVIG.
      After he was able ti be released he went to a rehab facility, but then went to the hosspital with an infection twice. His bladder stopped working so he needed to have surgery for a blockage. then a catheter was inserted.
      Anyway, he finally left rehab and came home, he has VNS and Bayada comign home and helping, and my two SIL’s came over to help and now my BIL is here to help.
      He is getting better, he just does better at home, he has his grandkids with him and wife.
      before he fell ill last week with another UTI, he was walkign about 20 steps with his walked and making a uturn and walkign back. He was transferring himself from the wheelchair to sofe, to bed, to commode.
      He is weak now, but we are doing exercises and resting and he will get his strength back slowly.
      Becasue he was so independent he hates being in this situation, he thinks that he is a burden to us.
      Anyway, my FIL is older than you dad, so you can see that it should provide you hope that your dad will get better. NYU is a great hospital.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 12:34 pm

jam,

there may already be a good sign you have, in that your dad opened his eyes slightly. From what I understand the one wouldnt open before. As I said, this may be a good sign. Keep a diary and every new little movement he does, nomatter how small, is a sign of improvement. If we dont right it down, somehow a few days later it often slips our mind and we cant quite remember what happened when. Your dads progression seems quite normal, some people take only 24 hours, or less, to get to being completely paraylized.

The docs should wait a little longer to see if there is any improvement before they decide that the IVIg wasnt effective. The thing is, if the IVIg was effective, and they do plasmapharesis, then they will wash all the good out of his body. IVIg doesnt necessarily stop the progression cold, it sometimes has to run its course a little further, but if effective, it does help the improvement move faster (to put it basically).

A few things to keep an eye on ……. Bowls – please make sure that through all this they are emptying his bowls. Often they get forgotten and the patient is in terrible pain because nobody thinks about them.
      Keep an eye on his feet, does he have anything on them to prevent foot drop? I’m sure they are dilegent in suctioning him as failure to do that could cause fuid in the lungs and could cause pneumonia.

Have you thought of having an ‘ex’ GBS patient come in to speak with him and your family? That can be a great help. Also, leave your name with the GBS/CIDP Foundation and they will send you some booklets and newsletters etc.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Hi Jam,

Welcome to the Forum and I hope you have time to go through some of the posts here as they will be very helpful in answering questions that you may have. First off, it sounds like a very classic case of GBS an it progressed quickly as it does sometimes, but the good thing is that they recognized it quickly and not days or weeks later. Like Ali said too, if he is moving his other eye, that is a big step forward! It is a slow process of recovery, and very frustrating for your dad. As far as others his age, I know I have read many other cases with his age, as age is not really a factor at onset. His physical health can help in in recovery though in my opinion. Good luck to you! Gabe

• October 4, 2007 at 9:00 pm

This week marks the two year anniversary of release after 9 weeks of hospitalization. GBS started about the same for me and as quickly. I was 64 at the time and my daughters found this forum as well. What they found out helped them a lot and provided encouragment for me. The good news is diagnosis! The sooner treatment gets started to slow progression the better and faster will be recovery. I got into a really good acute rehab (5 weeks) hospital and was able to walk out – with a walker. AND after a few more weeks of out patient, I could walk on my own; using a cane on bad weather days. Encourage your dad, most every one recovers. Do not lie to him though – it will not happen over night and will take time and work. As Gene says, rest will be important. Don’t let him do too much at a time and rest between sessions.
      God Bless Dad!
      Al
      GBS Aug ’05

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I know that one of you said that doing plasmapheresis too early would offset the IVIg but they have already started it. I have to say, it is very interesting to watch. Anyway, they slowly reduced his Propofol (sedative) today and he became quite alert. He was definitely cognitive and did not seem to have too much discomfort. However, when asked if he wanted them to turn it back on- he was practically yelling with his eyes. I know he can hear us and I think that all the chatting around him was making him upset. His fever spiked tonight to about 102 but they say that it is just par for the course. They were talking about doing the trach within the next few days.

A question for those who had GBS and for those with the Miller Fisher varient (which they have discussed regarding my dad): Did your recovery go in the same order as the symptoms appeared, was it opposite, or did it happen sort-of randomly? For instance, since my dad’s was descending, will he start to feel more movement in his feet or will it be in his upper extremities?

Thanks again for all your insight. -Jam

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 10:00 pm

hi jam & welcome,

this is not good news. the ivig was working & now the pp will wash it out. each works on 70% of gbs cases. let’s hope the pp also works for him. if he gets worse, the ivig should be administered. the trip for the mri can easily tire him out & cause him to feel poorly. ali means bowel, not bowl. is he in any pain? amazing that nyu doesn’t know not to wash out the ivig so soon & w/o reason. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Yes Gene …. bowel not bowl, sorry about that 😮 . GBS patients can often be very sensitive to noise and activity around them, it just messes with the senses and one can become very anxious and exhausted.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 11:36 pm

I had GBS / Miller Fisher variant and had similar problems to your father. Onset was double vision, tingling in my hands and slurred speech which quickly progressed to being unable to walk within 24 hours and full paralysis and on a vent in 48. Luckily this also meant quick diagnosis and treatment (ivig) So yes, such a quick progression is not uncommon with GBS.

My recovery was in the reverse order, my eyes were the last thing to come right

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 1:04 am

Hi iscouraged either. A positive atmosphere is very important for a good recovery-alot of humor helps, and laughter , Welcome to The Family. Recovery is really slow. He has already showed some in his eye movement. Acute onset is one of the symptoms of GBS. Mine is in less then 2 hours, each relapse I have had has been acute onset. Recovery for me, well I can’t say which way for sure after the initial paralysis event, because I was asleep when I woke up 2 hours later paralyzed from neck down, with a numb tongue and facial droop, but it started from the neck down and stopped in the belly, with my fingers wiggling, leftside came back stronger then my right(I’m right handed) my toes started, leftside first and stronger the right followed. Each relapse and recovery has been unique, so it really is an individual recovery process. Some say with acute onset comes acute recovery-not always true, even in the same person:o . Don’t get discouraged, don’t let your Dad get discouraged either. A positive atmosphere is very important, alot of humor and like they say-Laughter really is the best medicine. Make sure your Dad is being treated for nerve pain, if he is uncomfortable, ask him if he has pain, or electric zaps, currents, buzzing in his body. Neurontin or Lyrica is good for nerve pain. Always ask your Dad if its too noisy, too bright, too warm/cold, or if he is alright with the sheets on his skin, alot of us had sensitivities to things, all sorts of things. Keep your Dad in the present, up to date on his progress-good or bad, don’t hide things from him, when he gets off the seds of course. Yes he hears everything, if he had good hearing before GBS, that is. He might have bad hallucinations while he is under the meds, not unusual.
      Feel free to ask as many questions about anything, or just vent when you need to. We know how you feel and how your Dad feels, We’ve All been through it in one way or another. Please make sure your Mom takes care of her self as well, when your Dad comes off the seds he will need you All at your best. Take care.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 8:03 am

[QUOTE=gene]hi jam & welcome,

this is not good news. the ivig was working & now the pp will wash it out. each works on 70% of gbs cases. let’s hope the pp also works for him. if he gets worse, the ivig should be administered. the trip for the mri can easily tire him out & cause him to feel poorly. ali means bowel, not bowl. is he in any pain? amazing that nyu doesn’t know not to wash out the ivig so soon & w/o reason. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength[/QUOTE]

Has no one had success with pp so soon after ivig? this is very discouraging and extremely upsetting.

someone also mentioned about nerve pain. i do think that sometimes this is an issue. i will bring it up to the doctors this morning.

thanks for all your well wishes- i will update tonight.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 8:53 am

ok- I have another question…
      My dad, prior to all this stuff, had complete financial control. Does anyone have information regarding how my mom should go about dealing with this while my dad is unable to communicate? Are there any organizations out there that can help her plan -surely she is not the only out there in this situation, right? We know that there is money somewhere but just not sure where. Honestly, since she knows that my dad IS going to recover, this is her biggest sense of worry – this is what is making her lose it every day.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 10:27 am

jam,

neurontin for pain. many of us take neurontin [gabapentin], a non-narcotic, for peripheral neurological pain. neurontin is specific, it can work even when ordinary pain killers do not, even the opiates like methadone. great success w many. v safe. start at 300 mg 3X/day [900 total] & increase by 300 every other day till pain stops. taking it 6X/day instead of 3X/day gets more bang for the buck. 3600 is theoretical max/day that your body can absorb. 5600 is practical absorption max/day. the only reason for the slo build up is it may make you sleepy till your body gets used to it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 10:50 am

Jam, having pp soo soon after Ivig only washes out the ivig. If pp is going to be admins then it should go first with ivig following. That way the ivig stays in his system. PP cleanses his system, its a type of dialysis of the blood-sort of. You might ask the dr if they are planning on giving another round of ivig to your Dad, if not then ask why not and if you don’t like what you hear than request it be given. It won’t hurt him, as long as he had no problems after the first treatment. If they do give ivig to him again, make sure they premedicate him first with tylenol and benadryl-it helps make him more comfortable while getting the ivig.
      People who are paralyzed or numb do feel pain, some drs don’t believe that is possible. With me I didn’t have pain with my initial paralysis, it wasn’t until a month later after I had a bone scan with a radioactive injection that I started to have alot of pain, which lead to another relapse a month later. Since then I have had pain, all different places and types along with other weird sensations/feelings. Gabapentin(generic Neurontin) works on nerve pain, as does Lyrica-the newest member of the neurontin family. They are anti seizure drugs, but are also nerve pain drugs-no chance of addiction-non narcotic. Very safe. Narcotics will suppress the breathing muscles-which for someone on a vent or with labored breathing doesn’t want to use-and they don’t work as well on nerve pain either. Another thing to make sure they are doing for your Dad is therapy, pt range of motion should be done on him everyday, to help keep the muscles from atrophying. Keep an eye on his feet for foot drop, use pillows between his feet and the foot board of the bed, or use foot drop boots on his lower legs and feet. Also alot of us got injections in the belly to prevent blood clots, along with epc cuffs on the lower legs and feet. Prevention is best, dealing with the problems afterwards is extremely hard on GBS patients and can hinder recovery. Watch for bedsores, rotating and propping the sides and rotating every 2 hours is a must to prevent bedsores.
      I can’t help you as far as financial issues, I haven’t had to deal with that, my situation was different. You might have to start at home and go through all the papers and piece things together, other than waiting until he can talk to tell you about this and that. The energy should be saved for supporting your Dad, worrying about things that are out of your hands are a waste of energy. Take care.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Hi Jamma,

Regarding the financial situation for your dad, ask the nurse/doctor to order a social work consult at the hospital. They might not even need an order, but they can help you get power of attorney, or POA for your mother for financial matters and health care matters as well. Anyone from the social work department is able to help with this. Good luck! Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2007 at 10:53 pm

An unfortunate welcome to this world! I wish for your dad’s recovery. I also discovered this site when my mom was diagnosed in May. First, I was freaked out in general by this bizarre illness that no one has heard of, then I was panicked because my mom is 79.
      This web site and forum are a wealth of information, education and comfort from truly caring people who understand what you and your family are going through.
      It is a long haul for recovery. Be assured, recovery happens. Granted, life may not necessarily be the same, but recovery happes. Stay positive and keep encouraging your dad to stay strong and assure him he will recover. It has been said many times in this forum- GBS means Getting Better Slowly.
      Jenn

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Hi all. Sorry its been so long since I’ve updated on my dad. I had to go back to NC and leave him and my mom in NY. Here’s what has happened…
      After I left, they finished the PP which caused complete havoc on his BP, he had fevers and they treated him for MRSA pneumonia. By the following Tuesday, they performed a Tracheostomy on him and slowly weaned him from the Propofol (or as I like to call it- liquid amnesia).
      I flew in to see him after 2 of the longest weeks of my life and looks alone were telling. He looked more like himself without the tube and his eyes were very clear. It was really comforting.
      PT brought up a spell chart and I worked with him to spell out what he wanted. It was very hard to get it going but once we figured out a method, it seems to have worked. We created, together, a list of things he would like the nursing staff to ask him – like: are you hot? are you in pain? do you want to be repositioned? etc.
      We also created a chart that indicated one blink for “yes,” two blinks for “no,” rolling eyes for “I don’t know” and many blinks for “lets start over.”
      We also posted a sign to the the nursing staff and doctors indicating that he wants to be spoken to, not at.
      The doctors have begun to suggest that he is no longer “critical” and can leave the ICU as soon as a bed is available in a Respiratory Care Unit. From there my mom, with help, will have to find a Rehab center that is appropriate for my dad’s condition.
      As for his condition, about 1 week ago, he spent 10 hours or so off the vent but they haven’t seemed to get him back there because he is in a tremendous amount of pain and heavily drugged. He is on either 600 or 900mgs(?) Neurontin, three times a day, a Fentenol(sp?) patch and morphine as needed but no less than 4 hours apart.
      The doctors are very concerned with how acute his symptoms presented themselves and have even gone so far as to say that his prognosis is not that great. One doctor said they suspect that the inner lining of the myelin sheeth has been damaged.
      They have done an EMG(?) and the report showed a bit of response in his right leg and left arm that was not there 10 days ago. His left cheek tweaks a bit at his command.

It is very hard to deal with all of this, as you know. It is awful to think that this vibrant, loving, healthy man is trapped inside his body. For him to spell out one sentence (with abbreviations and us helping tremendously), it wipes him out completely. And he is terribly frustrated that he cannot communicate with his care staff unless they are right by his side.

I have tried and tried to find someone who has experienced exactly what we are experiencing and that makes it harder too- no one has the same experience. No one diagnosis and onset is the same. There is no definitive answers or prognosis. We know that he is not going to be like this forever. We really do get that. But, as you know, it is hard to see past this point right now.

OK- this is way too long. I am sorry. And I am sure I left some stuff out. I just got back home to NC and feel awful that I am not there. I know your support will help me through this and any information you have provided to me and others have definitely helped my and my family…

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 7:37 pm

Hi Jam,
      My onset at age 52 was very similar to your dad’s, as was the treatment: I had IVIG first, followed by PP because the head neuro @ Emory Univ. Hosp in Atlanta didn’t like my slow progression. Every neuro is different and has his/her own way of looking at things. The PP worked for me, whereas it didn’t look like the IVIG would.

Lots of good advice from Forum members. Neurontin/Gabapentin is the drug of choice for nerve pain. Your mom needs to get a handle on her finances quickly and POA is the best way. Your dad also needs reassurance that his is not an unusual case, though for him it will seem so, it always does. Finding someone to oversee his care right now is critical. His frustrations will only deepen if his needs are not met, both physically and emotionally. Is your mom able to spend large portions of the day with him, running interference with his caregivers? He needs that, at least until he gets totally weaned off the respirator and can be a little more in charge. Until then he needs a champion to do it for him.

As for someone to come see him, look into a local GBSFI chapter in the specific area of NY where he’s hospitalized. There shopuld be someone there who can help with that. It’s very important that he “see and hear” for himself that people do come back from this experience.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 8:01 pm

As Byron mentioned it is very important that your mom and the family spend as much time with him as possible. When I was in Icu or ccu my wife told me that I would not respond to the nurses or doctors untill she hollored at me. Your Mom knows him best and can tell his moods and Byron mentioned run interference. I got a bed sore when there and the wife being a cna at the time raised the roof around there got, t he head doc of ccu involved and chewed some tail around there. The support and encoragement of my family was key to my recovery.

Joseph

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Hi Jam,

I just wanted to tell you about my fiance’s case of GBS. Ben was only 37 when he got GBS two years ago, so his recovery is most likely going to be different from your fathers. However, Ben had a severe case of GBS and almost lost his life to it. He became completely paralyzed within a week, had a high fever over 102 for three weeks in the hospital, developed MRSA and was allergic to the meds used to treat it, had a WBC count of 222,000 and pneumonia in his left lung. He was in a medically-induced coma unable to communicate, and it was the LONGEST three weeks of my life. As he started getting better, his doctors predicted he’d be in a wheelchair for 1-3 years, but he was walking again after two weeks (his young age probably played a huge part in that).

I just want you to know all this because you can’t start to give up now. It seems like your father is making improvements, and he will get better.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Today my mom saw first hand how difficult it has been for my dad when it comes to communicating with his medical team. Before I left on Monday, I made big signs that we posted all over his area in the ICU- “Talk TO me- I can hear you,” “one blink=yes, two=no,” etc. This morning, the Pain Mgmt. team arrived. My dad had his back toward the door and faced the window. The doctors walked in bedside him and said to his back – “Sir, where is your pain?” My mom wanted to throw them both out of the 15th floor window! My mom then explained that they NEED to get right in front of him so that he can make eye contact and ask him yes or no questions. They looked dumbfounded. Can you believe it? They are doctors- can’t they read the signs? Don’t they pay attention to the patient’s condition?
      I, from the beginning, have suggested that the hospital he is in is possibly not the right one. Through research, I found that NY Presbyterian is an excellent hospital for neurological disorders. I persisted with my mom and she called them. She thinks she’s lined up a referral but has now been told that there is a possibility that insurance won’t pay for the transfer- that they only pay one person -and that would be NYU Medical, or something like that. Does anyone know what that is about?
      I also found, online, a device that is for non-verbal communication. It can register what the person is looking at and spell it out on the screen. But it would seem that it is about $2000 dollars or more! Does anyone have any other suggestions besides a spell chart that works but tires everyone out?
      Again, all of your suggestions and support help tremendously. I am truely sorry that you have all been through this personally. I cannot begin to imagine what it was like for you or for my dad…

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Jam, it would be best to have a case worker work with your Mom on trying to get him moved. He more than likely will need a referral from the dr to get a second opinion, at which time you or your Mom bring to his/her directly the name of the dr you want him to be seen by and exactly what hospital and ambulance service you want him to be provided with. The insurance needs the dr or caseworker to request this move for it to be considered a necessity and they will pay it than. You and Your Mom are Your Dad’s voice and health care advocates until he can do it for himself-Never Give Up, Never Give In. Be insistant with the dr and all the details, if you aren’t the drs won’t take your requests seriously enough, and the care of your Dad won’t get better. I learned that along with my hubby, the hard way. If you want to get the attention of drs, have the head nurse write in HUGE LETTERS on his medical chart, what his needs are as far as communication. All drs and therapists have to read the chart first before they see the patient. You have the right to do that! Take care.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2007 at 8:08 pm

pin the note to his bed sheets, someplace so obvious & unusual that the docs will see it. neurontin is what he needs for his pain. many of us take neurontin [gabapentin], a non-narcotic, for peripheral neurological pain. neurontin is specific, it can work even when ordinary pain killers do not, even the opiates like methadone. great success w many. v safe. start at 300 mg 3X/day [900 total] & increase by 300 every other day till pain stops. taking it 6X/day instead of 3X/day gets more bang for the buck. 3600 is theoretical max/day that your body can absorb. 5600 is practical absorption max/day. the only reason for the slo build up is it may make you sleepy till your body gets used to it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2007 at 8:31 pm

thanks for the suggestions- I will forward the info to my mom. its funny that you say to pin the note to the bed sheets- that’s what my dad spelled. actually – he spelled that he wanted them taped to his nose and chest. that really may be the only way to get the point across.
      as for the neurontin- he is on it along with a bevvy of other meds. he says his pain is severe in his legs and even has pain in his bowels(??).

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Jam,

If he has pain in his bowels, he could be constipated. You may want to double check and make sure he’s on stool softners to go to the bathroom easier. Ben had problems with that as well. It’s from the intestines being paralyzed and not being able to move the bowels, and being on different meds doesn’t help either, especially if he’s on any narcotics.

I can’t really give suggestions for the communication other than what you’re doing. Ben and I were fortunate because we both just happen to know sign language.

Good luck with everything!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2007 at 10:06 pm

well, i just got off of the phone with my mom. she finally had a meeting with the neurologist in charge of my dad’s case. he basically said that this is the most severe case he has ever seen and that we should expect to see him on a ventilator for at least 3-6 months and probably will never recover full use of any limbs. i just can’t believe this is happening…

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2007 at 8:24 am

They said the same thing about me. Told my wife I would never walk again and would be in a wheelchair and in Long term care the rest of my life. I am walking now and can walk without a cane on level good ground. I will be praying for your Dad

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2007 at 8:33 am

ditto joseph. they don’t know the future. we have disproven them time & time again. never give up. never give in. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2007 at 12:31 pm

a quick update and a question…

dad is now in a sub-acute rehab center after an awful, seemingly abusive experience in the “step-down” respiratory care unit. it was a horrible experience and we’re glad he’s out of there. the rehab center has an eye-gaze system for him to use but we’re waiting on training. i have to say that i was really surprised that no one on this forum had anything to say about eye-gaze systems but anyway…
      he actually seems to have started to get some return movement- he moved his jaw on commmand, albeit slightly, and he told my sister to pay attention to one of his hands- it felt like he was moving it. she said that she may have seen one of his fingers twitch but he couldn’t repeat it.
      his stats were pretty stable but here’s whats happening now…
      he is totally mottled, his is extremely diaferetic (sp?), and he is constantly fluctuating between being cold and hot. he is not febrile and his bp and hr are stable. has anyone else experienced this? the docs don’t seem to have any idea what is going on. could it just be another insane symptom of GBS?

thanks again for all of your support and quality responses…

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2007 at 5:37 pm

jammamma,

the nervous system controls soo much & anywhere nerves go, gbs can do damage. i was too hot for years & had what i called alligator skin. it took time, but both went away. well, my feet still abnormally heat up & hurt toward day’s end if i’m doing too much. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2007 at 8:22 pm

another update-
      last week, dad went back into the hospital with a high fever, profuse sweating, and extremely mottled skin. his white cell count was up to 24 (i am not sure what the measurement is but i know that 10 is the upper limit of normal). i flew up to NY from NC on Thursday morning. they gave him vancomycin and iv fluids. eventually, they discovered he had e-coli in his speutem (sp?) and gave him meraponem for that. then they thought he had also contracted c-diff and prescribed flagil. after a day or two, his count went down, his fever disappeared and all that was left was the profuse sweating. I flew back to NC on Tuesday. They were getting ready to move him back to the rehab yesterday and discovered that his white count was slowly rising again. His BP went sky high and they prescribed something to get that down. the sweating continued. and then today, at about 2:30, [B]he coded[/B]. they said that his blood pressure dropped quickly and his heart stopped- the did compressions for about 5 minutes and then he came back. they said he had a pulse the whole time. i don’t know what this is?!?!? and my mom has completely lost it. she does not realize where she is and why my dad is sick. she has no idea that she has been taking xanax to keep her calm and has recently been prescribed celexa. she didn’t even know where she parked the car (they called her when she was about 1 block from the hospital and the rest is blurry to her). she didn’t recognize the notebook we’ve been using to record what my dad has been spelling and journal his illness. i am back in NC and my kids and husband were planning on driving up on Tuesday but now I don’t know if I should go up tomorrow. my sister is there with her husband but i don’t know what to do. it seems like, for now, he is out of the woods but what can i do for my mom? i know that you all have dealt with the ups and downs- i don’t know if you can help me – but i do know that typing this in to people who have been around this block gives me some sort of comfort.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2007 at 10:32 pm

Jam, I’m sorry to hear all that about your Dad. Please give him my best. As for Mom, can she take a smaller dose of xanax? Maybe its getting to be too high a dose for her. You All are in My Thoughts and Prayers. Take Care.

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2007 at 7:55 am

jam,

erratic blood pres can easily be caused by gbs. it is treated the same way as if the blood pres was caused by non-gbs means. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2007 at 8:17 am

Hi Jam. Your story sounds so much like what my father is going through. He is 73. I have just found this web site, it is very interesting to read what other folks are going through. Dad did not open his eyes for 6 weeks, even though we new he could hear us. He seems to be getting better, still on the vent and is slowing moving his neck and wiggles his body. I would love to talk with you more. If you have time will you email me at [email]teresaepley777@yahoo.com[/email]? We have never heard of GBS until now. Just looking for answers.

[QUOTE=jammamma]Thank you all for your encouraging words. I know that one of you said that doing plasmapheresis too early would offset the IVIg but they have already started it. I have to say, it is very interesting to watch. Anyway, they slowly reduced his Propofol (sedative) today and he became quite alert. He was definitely cognitive and did not seem to have too much discomfort. However, when asked if he wanted them to turn it back on- he was practically yelling with his eyes. I know he can hear us and I think that all the chatting around him was making him upset. His fever spiked tonight to about 102 but they say that it is just par for the course. They were talking about doing the trach within the next few days.

A question for those who had GBS and for those with the Miller Fisher varient (which they have discussed regarding my dad): Did your recovery go in the same order as the symptoms appeared, was it opposite, or did it happen sort-of randomly? For instance, since my dad’s was descending, will he start to feel more movement in his feet or will it be in his upper extremities?

Thanks again for all your insight. -Jam[/QUOTE]