Muscle Weakness during recovery?

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 12:01 am

Hey there everybody,

I am a 25yr old male recovering from GBS. I suffered the attack this past December, and I guess its been 5 and a half months now. I finished my intial physiotherapy sometime around the early March and have been exercising on and off by myself since.

A couple of days ago however, I think I must have overexercized because the calf muscles of my right leg have stiffened up completely and I am experiencing pain while walking or putting any weight on my right leg. I spent all day yesterday, freaking out … thinking IT might be back. But I feel a little calm today because the symptoms dont seem the same as when I got my attack. (it started with the tingling sensation in my right leg)

Has anyone had any similar experiences with muscle weakness/stiffness/soreness from exercising too much? I would really appreciate if anyone could share their experience.

Pat

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 8:50 am

hi pat & welcome,

over doing it & then feeling symptoms of gbs coming on is very common. you must rest a lot lying down to make it go away. worse than the bad feelings is that it slos recovery. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 11:20 am

As Gene said, this is just your bodies way of telling you that you have overdone it. Rest will take care of it. You are still experiencing your body’s trying to use weakened nerves make muscles work, once they heal completely it will get a lot better. You are still early in your recovery!
      Pam

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 9:31 pm

Hey there Gene and Pam,

Thank you both for your advice. I must have ercised too hard. Sometimes I forget that I am a recovering patient. In my enthusiasm, I probably push myself too much.

Im finding it hard to impose that disciple on myself…

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 10:26 pm

It’s hard to find the line that seperates not enough with 2 much. I’ve had cidp for 8yrs. i still overdo it. I don’t know how u tell because things feel different for me day to day.
      If u feel weaker and progressing for longer than say 2-3 days. I would head to see my doc.
      Good luck,
      God Bless
      soapy