Multiple vaccines at the same time?

• November 25, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Hello All.  Newbie here, but had GBS, Miller Fisher in 2006. So glad to be here.

Recently turned 65 and now my GP is booking me for Shigrix and Prevnar 13 at the same time in January.  As it happens I also become eligible for my 3rd Covid shot in early January (little in the way of side effects from the first 2). Needless to say I think it represents a viral overload to my system and am leaning away from the Shingrix vaccine anyway due to the FDA warning, and 2 vaccines for different respiratory problems close together doesn’t feel right to me.

Just wondering if anybody has any info or knows where to find info on GBS and the use of multiple vaccines close together.  Also, since I have already had GBS, does that make me more or less likely to have it again?

Many thanks.

• November 27, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I wouldn’t get either vaccine. These two vaccines (Shingles and Pneumonia) are known as high risk in bringing on GBS/CIDP/MFS in those who have already had such.

Read about Shingles here: https://forum.gbs-cidp.org/forums/topic/shingles-2

There are many discussions here about the Pneumonia vaccine and adverse reactions. Simply search the forums for “Pneumonia vaccine”.

• December 21, 2021 at 12:28 pm

In the past year, I have had the second pneumonia (Prevnar13), Shingrix, the Quadravalent flu vaccine, and two doses plus a booster of Moderna COVID vaccines. My GBS is now more than 7 years since onset and I do have residuals. Both my GP and neurologist said that I could take multiple vaccines at the same time. As it turned out, due to scheduling and vaccine availability at my local pharmacy and the Dr office, all three of the recent ones (Prevnar, Shingrix, and booster) were spaced about 2 weeks apart. I experienced no side effects other than the well known ones from Moderna.

You should rely on the advice of those medical professionals who know your complex medical history the best. If you do not have one, find a good neurologist who has dealt with GBS and get their opinion.

As to your question about being more likely to have another bout of GBS; our immune systems have malfunctioned once, so they could again. I do not know the statistics on those with two onsets of GBS, but perhaps it has been studied somewhere. After 7 years and uneventful recovery from several colds, I have more confidence that not every infection will send me down that path again.

I had “profound” involvement from GBS and was only able to blink my eyes when at my worst. Even given that, I welcomed the vaccines. I have seen shingles in my grandmother, my mother, and my mother – in – law. Pneumonia and COVID have taken the lives of many more than die from GBS and shingles can be horrible.

There is perhaps no perfect solution and everything involves risk. If you are worried about a new onset of GBS, perhaps waiting on the non-flu and non-COVID vaccines until some pressure is off ER and ICU units in your local hospitals could be considered. Again, advice from a medical professional who knows your entire history and health status can be very valuable.

I wish you the best whatever your decision.

• January 11, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I got diagnosed with GBS 9 days after receiving both the flu vaccine and shingrix at the same time. That was two years ago. Since then I’ve gotten the J&J and Moderna with no problems.

Tagged: