MRSA and CIDP

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2007 at 9:27 am

My father is dying from cancer and recently contracted MRSA at a hospital. At the present it is only in his eyes and the eyes have been treated. At present the dr. and nurses say that the MRSA is not in his lungs. I am really afraid that having CIDP might increase my chances of contracting MRSA. Does anyone know about this? Thank you.

Sheila in WV

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Sheila, I’m so sorry about your dad. It must be a very difficult time for you. I’ve had CIDP for about about six years and I have not noticed that I’m any more susceptible to infections than before that. Of course, there’s always the chance and MRSA can be pretty difficult to treat. If you just received IVIG recently that probably will give you additional protection against bacterial infections.

In any case, I would strongly recommend to carry a bottle of hand sanitizer whenever you go to the hospital. Don’t touch your face or any lesions you might have on your body. Before leaving clean your hands thoroughly. Even so the infection is only in your dad’s eyes he might have touched them and carry the bacteria on his hands and spread them.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Sheila, I’m sorry to hear about your Dad’s difficulties. I pray he recovers from both rapidly. Avoid direct contact and as Norb mentioned make hand sanitizers your best friend and you should be fine. My nephew had mrsa this past summer-twice. He is doing better and now able to go to school. Take care.

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2007 at 10:30 am

Dear Shelia,
      I am so sorry to hear about your Father. I lost my Mom some years back to cancer and I know how hard it is to have someone you love who has that terrible illness.
      As for the CIDP I have had it for 9 years and the only time I was anymore susceptible to illness was when I was taking steroids. It would very good to follow Norm’s advise. This is good advise whether you have CIDP or not.
      My prayers are with you.
      Larry