Montel Williams on Oprah talking about his book After the Diagnosis

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2009 at 8:53 am

Just wondering if anyone else saw Montel Williams on Oprah yesterday. I recorded it on the DVR & watched it last night. I thought it was informative on how people cope with living with chronic illness. He talked about diet & exercise & food that help with inflammation. I thought it was interesting & motivating.

Here is a link to Oprah’s website where you can watch clips from the show:

http://www.oprah.com/media/20090305-tows-montel-williams

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2009 at 3:58 am

Kelly,

I remember watching Montel’s show while I was disabled with GBS. I had never seen or heard of it before, but I grew to love it, and really admired Montel and his courage with dealing with MS.

Thanks for the notice and link to this most interesting interview.

Per

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Kelly,
      I did get to see Monteil talking about his MS. What struck me as unusual is that if I had his kind of money, I would be going to Switzerland or other countries to avail myself of their new techniques. He could have tried stem cell treatments. He did not mention that he did that. When I had GBS the first time in ’86, I had similar symptoms with a friend who had MS. So I always felt an affinity to MS sufferers. There is a clinic in Mexico (that used to be in California) that works with cancer and MS. There was a doctor (Dr. Gershon) who did the best work with MS. His daughter is now running the clinic that I mentioned. I am guessing that they are also working with MS patients.
      It amazes me that movie stars and other rich people do not investgate alternative methods of healing in other countries. Patrick Swayze comes to mind. I watched his in depth interview on tv and he said there were absolutely no easy ways of treating his cancer. I said to myself, “What an idiot.” He is putting poison (chemo) in his veins yet many cancer doctors have admitted that the success rate with many cancers is low. The Gershon clinic is where many of the smart doctors go. But they are in danger of losing their license if they promote practices that are not part of the pharmaceutical/AMA prescribed methods. It saddens me. I thought Monteil could have been more specific about his diet. I tried to contact him a year or so ago, but never heard back. It may not have gotten to him.

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2009 at 1:27 am

Montel did a whole show on his diet a few years ago. I know it was heavy on salmon & whole grains. I’m sure you could find it if you look around on Google.

I’m kinda on the fence with the holistic approach to treating certain diseases. My grandma was dx’d with cancer in 1996 & he did live until 2001. He did see a holistic dr for awhile – so I know it worked for him for 5 years.

But when I think about Emily….well…I just don’t know what I would do. On one hand I would do anything to make her better but on the other, if she had a life threatening illness like cancer, I think I would first go with the most advanced & most effective treatments. If they didn’t work then I would seek out other approaches.

As for Montel, I believe he did look into alternative treatments. I’m not sure what he’s tried but I do believe he talked about it on his show many years ago.

What I really liked about the interview was how he stressed the importance on educating yourself on your illness and also how important it is to develop good coping skills. I believe strongly in those 2 points.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Does anybody have more info on the diet he follows ?? I cant seem to find any informative links > .(

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2009 at 8:04 pm

I Googled “Montel Williams diet book” and came up with the name Living Well: 21 Days to Transform Your Life, Supercharge Your Health and Feel Spectacular.

It’s for sale on Amazon.com & I’m sure your local library will have a copy too.

Hope that helps.
      Kelly