Mold test results are in!
AnonymousNovember 28, 2006 at 4:16 pm
For those of you who have been following our mold saga…
We do not have toxic mold. However we do have Cladosporium, which is a common outdoor mold. We have VERY high levels of it in our master bedroom. The mold company said that a normal high registers at 1000 and it was 1390 in our bedroom. The living room also registered high for Cladosporium. Emi’s room registered high but it was less than the rest of the house. I think that may be because her room has been closed off for so long with the window open.
We also have low – moderate levels of Aspergillis and Penicillium growing as well.
Cladosporium causes mycosis (skin cancer), asthma, hypersensivity, edema, pulmonary emphasema and respiratory distress. We have an appointment with an immunologist mid December to discuss all of this with her and to see if she believes that the mold exposure could have precipitated Emi’s illness or if it could be prolonging it or hindering her recovery.
I’m not exactly sure what our options are right now. The types of mold that are growing are very dangerous to Emily because she gets IVIG and that is an immunosupressant. I really just want to get as far away from this place as possible.
So that’s it. I feel like I should be able to breathe now but I’m all freaked out about breathing in all of this mold, LOL. I really just want to wash Emily off with bleach & get her out of here, LOL. The apartment no longer feels like home. It feels dirty & unsafe.
Thanks for all of the thoughts & prayers. We really appreciate them.
AnonymousNovember 28, 2006 at 4:38 pm
I’m so glad that you finally have the results. I am confused tho ~ if the mold isn’t “toxic” why would it cause all these health problems?? Of course, it may all be technicality in the words . . .
I’m glad that you have an appt. with an Immunologist. Good luck 🙂
AnonymousNovember 28, 2006 at 7:05 pm
[QUOTE=Emily’s_mom]. The types of mold that are growing are very dangerous to Emily because she gets IVIG and that is an immnosupressant. [/QUOTE]
Kelly, I don’t think IVIG is a immunosuppressant. It is an immuno-modulator the way I understand it. Immunosuppressants are corticosteroids like Prednisone or the cancer drugs like cyclophosphamide etc
Nevertheless, I would be freaked, too, to find out about the molds in my environment. They can’t be healthy for anyone, not just Emily. I hope you find a solution soon.
AnonymousNovember 28, 2006 at 8:48 pm
Judy – The mold that we have is considered to be “allergenic”. Don’t ask me how it can be when it can cause cancer, though. That confuses me as well. Whatever it is classified as doesn’t matter to me. It’s bad & it can make people sick so I want no part of it.
Norb – I think I mispoke. I didn’t mean immuno-suppressant. I meant it was an immuno-modulator. I’m not sure how that would be affected by the mold exposure. I haven’t been sleeping well so I think I’m only making sense to myself half the time anymore, LOL. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
I am going to put Emily to bed then I am hitting the hay as well.
AnonymousNovember 28, 2006 at 9:10 pm
I just Googled “hypersensivity” and I came up with this:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersensitivity[/url] (copy & paste it)
It would seem that Cladosporium causes hypersensivity which causes auto-immune diseases such as Myasthenia Gravis. (as described under “type 2”). I’m very curious if CIDP has been considered. Emi’s new neuro suggested that she may have occular MG instead of Miller Fisher.
(Norb – Do you want to read that for me to make sure I’m interpreting that right? You’ve really had my back lately with clarifying things for me & I really do appreciate it. I think I read it right though but I’m only going on 5 hours of sleep in the last 2 days…so I may even be hallucinating at this point)
Kelly (I really should go to bed)
AnonymousNovember 29, 2006 at 9:49 am
I have a friend that lived in New Orleans. Luckily they were out of town on vacation when Katrina hit. For awhile they were considering moving back & I was SO glad to hear when they decided that it wasn’t worth it. They have 3 small boys & I was very worried about them being exposed to all that gunk that is growing down there.
I just hope that this discovery of the mold will make it easier to understand & treat Emi’s illness. I know that people are often treated with anti-fungals when exposed to mold. I’m definetly going to talk to the dr about that.
Now that we have the answers we have to get busy. I need to find some place for us to live & I have to fight the management company about letting us out of our lease. I’m not looking forward to that!
AnonymousNovember 29, 2006 at 12:06 pm
This thought is probably like trying to grab at air, but I keep thinking that maybe a TV show like EXTREME MAKEOVER, HOME EDITION would help you find a new home. They may be interested in hearing Emi’s story and your desperation in fining a mold free home for her.
AnonymousNovember 29, 2006 at 7:21 pm
It sure sounds like the mold is not a safe thing to live around. If it didn’t cause Emi’s problem, at the very least, it’s probably not helping her.
Have you considered a brief consult with an attorney to help you to get out of your lease? Sometimes just the letterhead and the right wording from a knowledgeable attorney can solve a problem quickly.
My suggestion would be to talk with either a lawyer specializing in health liabiliy issues, or perhaps someone in the commercial real estate or contract law areas. They may be able to either point out the legal reasons why your lease is no longer valid due to the mold problem, or use the implied threat of suing over the mold issue, to make them want to get rid of you.
Best wishes in resolving this quickly, so you can find a safe place to live.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.