Meds before spinal tap??

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 9:15 am

Another question— when clinic called to tell us of Monica’s spinal appt date they told her not to take and meds that would thin her blood. I only know of asprin what else are they talking about? She only takes what she has been prescribed.

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Hi Dawn,

What prescribed meds does she take, we need to know so an answer can be given.

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Right now Monica is taking 750mg Vicodine, 60mg Prednisone,30mg Elavail 600mg Neurotine. Sorry I didn’t post that earlier. Thanks:o

p

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2007 at 11:53 pm

dawn you need to call them back and tell them what monica is taking and let them tell you what she should take and not take. you don’t want to take a chance with those things.

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 11:01 am

none of the meds you listed is a blood thinner. But agree you need to call your md to review her meds and what he thinks is contraindicated. Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2007 at 11:50 am

I think they are probably referring to actual blood thinners such as coumadin that many people take. Aspirin is also a blood thinner. But I have Factor 7 Defiency, which makes my blood equal to someone on coumadin, & had 3 spinal taps with no problems at all. I never got the headache that so many talk about, but then I was inpatient at the hospital at the time, so I was lying down.