Malwarebytes

• May 25, 2021 at 6:04 am

Jim,

When I was using Malwarebytes, I would often get blocked from the site, especially the forums. I think it warned about phishing, but I’m not certain. The reason I didn’t pay much attention is the my IPad had no problem with the site. I have since replaced Malwarebyte withe Webroot (Windows 10) and have no problem with the site.

Eric

• May 25, 2021 at 2:05 pm

I had issues with Malwarebytes and replaced it years ago. I now use an enterprise-grade endpoint product for Win10 that includes anti-ransomware in addition to a two-way firewall and all the anti-virus and other protections.

Both Malwarebytes and Webroot have whitelists/allow lists where you can exempt sites from being identified as potential risks and unblock them. This site and its forums present no risk.

• May 25, 2021 at 5:19 pm

I wasn’t clear. I understand the site is not a risk. However, there may be some (many?) people who believe the warning they receive from Malwarebytes is 100% accurate. It is highly probable that updating white lists/allow lists is a “foreign language” to them. And at that point they may be lost as participants.

I only raise this issue because the drop off in participation is large. I thought this might a contributing factor. Isn’t it possible that the problem could be solved at the Malwarebytes end? If they can say you’re bad it would make sense to me they could say you’re good.

Eric

• May 26, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Malwarebytes Premium holds an 8% market share. GBS/CIDP has an estimated incidence of 0.7 to 1.6 cases per 100,000 persons per year. I don’t know what percentage of Malwarebytes owners find configuring the product a ‘foreign language’ or can’t get setup help from friends.

Adding these statistics together suggests a very small number of people may be impeded by Malwarebytes from accessing this site.

You are correct that Malwarebytes could program their product differently so that this site does not show as possibly harmful. But it would probably take many voices to get them to do this.