Lyrica

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2007 at 11:32 pm

Hi All:
      My Medicare drug provider (Humana) has informed me that 3600mg/day of Neurontin is considered beyond the plan limits and will not pay for my full prescription. I spoke with the pharmacist and he said that amount/day is the normal maximum.He also suggested that Lyrica is a good substitute.

My questions are:
      1)What do you use for nerve pain and in what dosage?
      2)What if any experience does anyone have with Lyrica?
      Thanks
      Chuck

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 2:31 am

Hi Chuck, lyrica is the newborn sister drug to neurontin. it is more expensive then neurontin, but some people can take less and get equal pain relief from it. it really is a trial and error type of thing with the meds to get pain relief that works for you. i take neurontin-600 in both the a.m. and afternoon and 900 at bedtime. most of the time it controlls ok, but then there are nights (like tonight, when it doesn’t kick it well enough). some people use antidepressants to help control pain also. some muscle relaxer type meds work well when used in conjunction with neurontin. hope that helps alittle. take care.:)

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 9:58 am

Hi Chuck,

I used to be on a very high dose of Neurontin (3600mg all the way up to 4200) and am now on Lyrica and take 1800mg day. I switched because the Neurontin made me so tired and lethargic and I like the Lyrica much better. Less pills, pain level is actually lower, less numbness and I feel much more alert. The switch over between the two was hard because it took a week or so to feel like the Lyrica was working.

Good luck and I hope Lyrica does the same for you as it has for many of us.

Jerimy

PS-One other thing, if you need to stay with Neurontin or the Lyrica doesn’t work for you, what about the generic form of Neurontin which is Gabapentin, that’s another possibility.

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 10:02 am

[QUOTE=Jerimy]Hi Chuck,

I used to be on a very high dose of Neurontin (3600mg all the way up to 4200) and am now on Lyrica and take 1800mg day. I switched because the Neurontin made me so tired and lethargic and I like the Lyrica much better. Less pills, pain level is actually lower, less numbness and I feel much more alert. The switch over between the two was hard because it took a week or so to feel like the Lyrica was working.

Good luck and I hope Lyrica does the same for you as it has for many of us.

Jerimy

PS-One other thing, if you need to stay with Neurontin or the Lyrica doesn’t work for you, what about the generic form of Neurontin which is Gabapentin, that’s another possibility.[/QUOTE]

Jermey – did the Lyrica make you gain weight?
      Thanks,
      Sally

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 10:05 am

Sally,

No it didn’t at all, I had however already experienced a great deal of weight gain my first 2 years on Neurontin and Prednisone. Many others here who have been on Lyrica should be able to tell you how it affected them and whether they had any weight gain.

Jerimy

• March 19, 2007 at 5:49 pm

Hi,
      This is DawnKevies mom, my father in law takes the max dosage of lyrica for trigeminal neuralgia. He has gained weight about 25lbs. He also is very tired all the time. However, this is worth the sacrafice to him as it is the only drug that helps his pain. As of late, he has also had a problem with water retention which the dr. thinks may be linked to his lyrica. Good luck!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2007 at 8:04 pm

Hi everyone,

About 6 months ago I swithched from Nuerontin to Lyrica and found that it worked very well. I did not gain any weight from it at all. Though last week I was informed that my insurance company would no longer cover it, and I had to quit taking it because I can’t afford it myself. What a bummer!

Emily

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2007 at 12:52 am

Emily,

If you can’t get them to cover Lyrica can you go back on Neurontin??? Here is a link to some Pfizer programs that might help you be able to stay on Lyrica. Not sure if it’s even applicable but I wanted to make sure you had a link to them just in case it can help you.

[B][I]pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/ [/I][/B](cut and paste into a browser)
      Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2007 at 7:37 am

hi my name is Tonya . I signed this sight backin 2002. I am on Lyrica for nueropathy, and resiudal affects of GBS. I take Lyrica , and like it alot better than nuerontin. I also have reflex sympathetic dystrophy from nerve damage from my central line.
      Lyrica has worked well for me;