Loss of Appetite

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 10:12 am

Hi All,

I’m new to this forum and am finding it quite helpful. I haven’t looked at all the posts, so I’m not sure if this one has ever been discussed, but I’m wondering if it’s common to lose one’s sense of taste and appetite with GBS. I’m caring for a friend who has CIDP (we believe), and has been afflicted for nearly 4 years now. She’s never been hospitalized (for which we’re very grateful), but can no longer drive, and rarely leaves the house. Some days she barely moves, but other days she feels almost normal. Those days are few and far between, however. But over the past few months, she’s lost a lot of weight because she doesn’t feel like eating. When the “buzzing” sensation, as she calls it, is up through her chest, she has no appetite at all. At other times, she feels like eating, but can’t taste anything so loses interest. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I’d be most grateful. Thanks,
      Dorrie

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 10:52 am

When I first came down with CIDP, I was unable to eat for the first few months, as everything tasted like metal to me (even water.) I lost 30# very rapidly, which really worried the doctors & nurses, but little did they know that in the next 21 months I would gain nearly 80# on steroid infusions. This feeling in her chest, is it like a band rapped around that section? I have never heard of buzzing in the chest, but anything is possible with this illness I have found. Has she been given any form of treatments for CIDP? BTW what wonderful & caring friends she has, for that she is lucky…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Dorrie

Welcome, you do sound so caring for your friend…that’s wonderful. I lose
      my taste of foods just before I start heading towards more weakness. It
      seems like nothing tastes like anything. When I get that way, I’m close to
      infusion time.

Does your friend have a neurologist that she can go to so that she will get a
      proper disgnosis? As with Pam, has she been given any treatments?

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 12:28 am

Hi Dorrie! You are a great friend, there should be more people like yourself! The only thing I’ve really noticed, in regards to appetite, is that I’m not hungry for meat. I was always a “steak and potatoes” kind of girl, and now I don’t even like to cook it, much less eat it. Is she seeing a neuro doc with whom she could discuss her changes in appetite with? Everyone is so different. Sometimes medication can alter the sense of taste also.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 7:24 am

Thank you for your responses. My friend initially went to a neurologist and was diagnosed with GBS. At that time, she didn’t have any relexes in her feet and no knee-jerk response. A while later, she went back and was declared “cured” because the reflexes had returned. She tried another neurologist and he took some blood samples, but nothing ever really came of that. Other than that, she hasn’t tried any of the treatments that are discussed in the GBS newslatter and on this forum. She really hates doctors, and would rather stay home where she’s more comfortable with her feet up, than have to get out to see a doctor. We both have the same HMO, and I don’t think these people are that knowledgeable about GBS. It’s kind of discouraging. Anyway, she keeps hoping that some day it’ll go away as mysteriously as it appeared.

Thank you all again,
      Dorrie

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 10:22 am

Dorrie,
      Better to be proactive and get her some help now. Contact the foundation, they can help you to contact people who understand and can help treat what your friend is going through. IVIG and plasma pheresis don’t “cure” anything, but they can help stop anymore damage from being done to the nerves and their various structures. There are good people out there who can help, she doesn’t have to stop living her life. Education is the best cure for fear. If she has a better understanding of what is happening to her body, she will be better able to cope with it and find things that work for her. What a wonderful person you are for helping her through this confusing and difficult time in her life! Encourage her to seek out help, I’m sure she will listen to you. Have a great week!

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Dorrie,

There are some liaisons in MA that you could call who may be able to speak with you or point you inthe right direction. Sometimes speaking to someone is such a HUGE help and clears things up a little. I will name some towns/cities where there are liaisons and if you tell me which one you guys are near, I can private message you the details. I promise that speaking with someone who listens and is understanding is wonderful!

Here are the towns : (Boston) Ipswich , Springfield, (Cape Cod) Brewster.

Loss of Appetite

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Has anyone noticed that since they’ve been sick their appetite has decreased? I definitely don’t eat near as much as I did before I got sick and my husband commented on the fact that I need to eat more but I’m not hungry. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Yes Kelly, it does happen with many GBS/CIDP people.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 7:52 pm

Hi Kelly – I’ve noticed I’m not as hungry as I used to be pre-CIDP. Unfortunately, my sweet tooth hasn’t lessened! But I do notice that when I get symptomatic, food just does not appeal to me at all! Good luck and good health!

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Kelly,

I don’t eat as much but then I think it because I not as active as before the illness.

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 12:10 am

Kelly,
      I wish I would lose some of my appetite. That would help me lose some weight. I know, be careful what you wish for.

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 10:34 am

I still have no problem eating. I wish I could eat alittle less. Food just taste so good. 😮

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Hi Kelly,

Since I have developed CIDP and are now off steroids I have absolutely no appetite. It is to the point where I forget to eat through out the day. Most days I have to make a conscious effort to eat and only consume about 1/4 of my suggested 1900 calories recommended by my nutritionist, and other days not even that. It worries me because I continue to loose weight that I don’t need to loose. My nausea is so bad that food just doesn’t appeal to me. I try to supplement my diet by drinking Boost or Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Emily