Looking for Adult with GBS to help with assignment!

• June 7, 2016 at 4:26 am

Hello,

My name is Julie and I am an occupational therapy student. One of my classes has to do with assistive technology, and I wanted to talk to anyone who could tell me about devices that they used to help compensate for the symptoms of GBS and whether or not these worked. Thank you in advance for your help!

• June 8, 2016 at 11:32 am

Not sure exactly what devices you are looking at but here goes my huge list:
      Cast splints made to help with drop foot 2 hrs on 2 hrs off. I use these during the day instead of at bedtime. My sleep is precious to me so this is a more feasible option for me.
      I have the Allard toe-off braces to support my ankles. They had to take a large and trim the foot part to medium. I needed the extra support of the large but have a small foot. They take a lot of getting used to. they help with my balance, which has improved tremendously. I am bad and don’t wear them like I should. This has resulted in my left foot pointing out when I walk.
      My walker was just too slow for me.
      I use thera putty for my fingers and hands, love it
      i did have to use a grabber/reacher for a little while, loved it. Made getting things high and low a lot easier and I was able to use it to help get myself dressed.
      I used sock assistant ( no idea what it is called) for some time. This made things so much easier for me getting dressed. Works for ten hose too’
      I also use thera bands and gate belts to do some of my daily stretches and exercises. Love them
      N ow why I was hospitalized I had Splints made for both of my hands to straighten them out and to keep them from curling permanently. This did an amazing job.
      If you have any questions just let me know

• June 8, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Thank you Angela. Your detailed response helps me connect the assistive technology tools that I learned in class to a real situation. If you don’t mind answering, when did you develop GBS? And did/do you use any electronic devices to help make things easier for you? I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, thank you again!

• June 8, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Mine started May 20th 2014. While at RUSK, I used the Autoambulator to help me with my drop foot and walking. They also had an board that was like the handheld Simon games. This worked on my hand/eye coordinataion and my high and low reaching abilities. And we played wii sports. At home I used 2 different typing tutor websites to work on my typing skills I had lost, this is still a work in progress. Hope this helps. Oh by the way my official diagnosis now is ASMAN.

• June 10, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Your typing skills are looking good, so keep up the good work! 🙂 What device or tool do you feel was the most helpful for you? I just have one more question. For my class assignment, we were assigned to a case: a 35 year old with GBS and weak individual finger movement. He wants to be able to watch TV and movies as well as turn on the lights in his room. What devices would you recommend to him? I was thinking of recommending a direct access using a switch (like a button connected to the remote that would make it easier for him to press). Do you think that would work? Thank you again for everything, I really appreciate your help!

• June 10, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I went online and use http://www.typing.com and http://www.sense-lang.org/typing/tutor/keyboarding.php.Both are really good for reteaching the basics. I still have issues with knowing where my fingers rea on tahe keyboard and spend a lot of time proof reading things before I send or press enter ( I intentionally left 2 typos on here for you) lol. As far as a device for the gentleman, I was thinking of something similar to the Clap on Clap off device, When I was in ICU an Linn Skilled assisted Living, I was unable to push the call light button. They hooked me up a with a call light that I could use my head instead of my fingers. It was a metal device and when I needed anything I just moved my head to the side and touched it with the side of my head/face. If you need anything else just left me know. Glad to be of assistance.
      Angie

• June 11, 2016 at 11:55 pm

The clap on, clap off device sounds good for turning on the lights! Thank you for your suggestion. I also researched alternatives for turning the TV on/off (for my class assignment case study), and there’s a device that allows you to use voice command to control the TV. I was wondering what your preference would be in this situation– would you prefer voice activation or a more physical method of turning the TV on and off, such as an adapted TV remote that you could use with your hand? Thanks! Julie

• GH
      June 12, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Thera-putty and Thera-bands are excellent (and inexpensive) rehab aids. I used them at home as well as in rehab units. Two grab bars in the bathroom at home were absolutely essential for me. I prefer them in vertical orientation. Also, a seat in the shower. I still use the bars but not the seat, even though I don’t actually need them.

I have a sliding board which was essential in the rehab hospitals, but by the time I got home I no longer needed it. I forget the brand, but it is the thin, laminated one with a handhole crosswise at each end and a friction pad at one end of the underside. The tapers are long at each end and come to a fairly thin edge. This one is the best, without question.

A walker and (later) a cane, of course. I used my cane for more than a year after going home. A patient with legs barely strong enough to use a walker or cane, and with fairly good arm strength, should know how to get up from the floor or ground using only the walker (or cane). No therapist showed me the technique — I figured it out myself.

True wheelchair (not bicycle) gloves, with padding. I used mine with my cane long after I was out of the wheelchair. I found them useful for gripping hand railings that were wet and slippery. Again, I forget the brand (I lost them, alas), but they were a sport model for wheelchair athletes.

A good shoehorn is useful, but the most useless thing I ever saw was a thing ostensibly designed to put on socks. I threw it out.

I used small dumbells to get my arm strength back. Must work triceps as well as biceps.

The thing I liked best when I reached outpatient rehab was a heavy, but soft, ball about six inches in diameter. Just playing catch with this is good exercise.

• June 13, 2016 at 7:17 am

Julie I would prefer the manual device simply because it would enable me to o strengthen my hand/finger muscles
      Angie