Legal test cases

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I’m really interested to hear if anyone has been successful in bringing about a successful case for misdiagnosis or malpractise concerning GBS?

• August 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm

[QUOTE=alk630]I’m really interested to hear if anyone has been successful in bringing about a successful case for misdiagnosis or malpractise concerning GBS?[/QUOTE]
      I can point you to my story if i can find the link. I didn’t consider suing because up here in Canada I would just have been looking for a settlement from an already taxed system. However, I would argue that telling a patient they ‘likely’ have GBS and to go home and come back if it gets worse is ignorant.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Yes, would appreciate the link please Northern Guitar Guy.

More specifically, if someone has presented with classic early symptoms of GBS and been initially misdiagnosed after seeking help from the medical profession, only for symptoms to get worse over a period of days/weeks and then after diagnosis being successfully treated with IvIg. Would there be a case that had you received early treatment, then the severity may have been limited and you would still have a job, house, less pain and paralysis, etc…

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Thanks GH-CIDP….very useful, reading some of the stories here, it sounds like there are a good few cases fall into the malpractice category.

• August 6, 2011 at 8:09 am

[QUOTE=alk630]Yes, would appreciate the link please Northern Guitar Guy.

More specifically, if someone has presented with classic early symptoms of GBS and been initially misdiagnosed after seeking help from the medical profession, only for symptoms to get worse over a period of days/weeks and then after diagnosis being successfully treated with IvIg. Would there be a case that had you received early treatment, then the severity may have been limited and you would still have a job, house, less pain and paralysis, etc…[/QUOTE]
      I’m curious too, as far as I’m concerned, they f***ed up in a big way and I’M still paying for it…..
      [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6829[/url]

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm

[QUOTE=northernguitarguy]I’m curious too, as far as I’m concerned, they f***ed up in a big way and I’M still paying for it…..
      [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6829[/url][/QUOTE]

Mmmmmm, a very similar story to mine and I too feel I’m still paying for it :-/

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Hi alk630,

It might be a difficult thing to prove because GBS and CIDP as well as alot of other conditions are done through a process of “ruling out”. It took them several weeks to figure out mine and I was was sent home with a pinched nerve . After a couple years of CIDP I ended up back in the hospital again with what I thought was another relaspe only to find out I had another auto immune condition that has alot of the same symptoms called Transverse Mylitis . It can be very frustrating because I think we often feel like they should know because they are the medical educators , however as we know every case is not a cookie cutter one 🙁

Kimberly

• August 21, 2011 at 8:27 am

[QUOTE=Beachcomber]Hi alk630,

It might be a difficult thing to prove because GBS and CIDP as well as alot of other conditions are done through a process of “ruling out”. It took them several weeks to figure out mine and I was was sent home with a pinched nerve . After a couple years of CIDP I ended up back in the hospital again with what I thought was another relaspe only to find out I had another auto immune condition that has alot of the same symptoms called Transverse Mylitis . It can be very frustrating because I think we often feel like they should know because they are the medical educators , however as we know every case is not a cookie cutter one 🙁

Kimberly[/QUOTE]
      my father figured out more about GBS on his i-phone than the ER doctor knew…..GBS cases are quite different than CIDP, thankfully it’s not chronic but the timeframe for diagnosis is much shorter…..doctors must do more for GBS patients in the chronic phase….there is no excusing them for not doing more

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

Northern ,

Well again that is why you have to be your own advocate …you know your body better than anyone and if something doesn’t feel right then you know. You can’t leave everything up to the doctor …take responsibility for your care and if you can’t then appoint someone who can . I think we all expect doctors to be miracle workers with all the answers and that just doesn’t often happen . They are going on an educated guess and if we can fill in the blanks for them then we should . If a doctor doesn’t like that ….then time for a new one . It is your choice . In reference to what you wrote …if you don’t feel you are getting what you need …then say so …simple as that .
      Kimberly

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2011 at 11:52 am

Beachcomber, I guess to that I would say that if you are in the grip of a set of terrible symptoms, symptoms you’ve never had before…paralysis is creeping up your body, maybe your autonomic system is beginning to be affected…you DON’T KNOW what you need…you’re just trying to deal with each new symptom as it presents itself and undoubtedly you are scared witless.

Sorry, but I think it’s fair to expect a little more from health care professionals. At least in the scenario I have described above, which I understand is not uncommon.

They’ve gone to med school, we haven’t. If they don’t know, then they should say so, order a series of tests or send you to someone who is skilled in neuro-muscular disorders.

That said, I would agree with being one’s own health care advocate and I have done so very successfully.

Sharon

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Northern,

I beg your pardon but I did go through GBS ….. so your “declaration ” as you put it is wrong . I think it’s quite ironic you call me arrogant and yet you make statements and have NO CLUE what you are talking about . So check yourself .

Yes I do wish doctors new more about GBS and CIDP but there are alot of them who have never encountered this in there residency or practice ….my point is that they are learning with this as they go and because we probably know more about the symptoms and feelings of this condition we have to be our own advocate . I have had it for 13 years now and I am still learning and my symptoms are still ever changing and I work in the medical field .

Sharon I do agree with your post and you made some very fair comments and I appreciate that . It is so hard when you are dealing with a condition and have no clue what is happening to your body and no one can give you definitive answers .
      Sincerely …..