Left side weakness

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Hi my daughter had Guillain Barre when she was 2 yrs. old, she is now 22. She developed a series of odd medical conditions from seizures to bazar behavior. My question is, has anyone ever expressed their left side going weak affecting speech and movement on the left side, almost like a mini stroke? My daughter has these symptoms quite often and wondering if it could be a result from nerve damage from GBS that causes lack of blood flow.

• March 27, 2014 at 1:22 am

An experienced neurologist should be consulted to check if it is a variant of GBS such as Multifocal Motor Neuropathy (MMN) or Lewis-Sumner Syndrome. Autoimmune Inflammatory Vasculitis is another related neuropathy that could affect blood flows. These variants of GBS/CIDP can have asymmetrical symptoms, like weakness only on one side. Please review the following document to see if it might help identify symptoms and possible causes in your daughter’s situation: http://www.gbs-cidp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MultifocalMotorNeuropathy.pdf

A “Center of Excellence” can offer experienced diagnosis and treatment options not generally available in many private practices. Maybe one is located near you: http://www.gbs-cidp.org/home/get-support/centers-of-excellence

I hope you find the cause so proper treatment can be given soon to hasten her recovery.

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Thanks Jim-LA, we have an appointment with her neurologist next week. After describing the symptoms in detail she thinks it might be hemiplegic migraines. I will bring up MMN and Lewis-Summer Syndrome; I was doing some research last night and also came across Hemiparesis. She also suffers from what they believe to be complex partial seizures. Hopefully her doctor can properly diagnose her and giver her proper treatment. I will post the doctor’s finding. Once again thank you for your reply greatly appreciate it.