IVIG kidney problem?

• November 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I keep having above normal creatinine levels. I am on IVIG and the nephrologist says “no IVIG” at 1.8 or up. 1.8 is the highest level I have had in 3 years and that about 3 times. Blood work yesterday and 1.8. Scheduled for IVIG tomorrow and hospital called and said test again tomorrow and if 1.8 no IVIG. Have any of you had this problem? If so, what did you do? Oh yes, I have drunk enough water to drowned a whale but it still hit 1.8.

Would appreciate any input you might have.

Thanks.

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Bill,

Did you drink enough both before and a then for the whole week post IVIG?

I know it makes a huge difference on the numbers.

It also depends on when the blood work is drawn.

It might be worth having it done right before IVIG and then 1 week post IVIG to compare the numbers.

Good luck,

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I decided to do a little research…

Are you taking any heart medications? ACE inhibitors (ACEI) & angiotensin II receptor antagonists (ARBs) can raise your creatinine levels. If taken together they can raise your creatinine levels by more than 30%.

Ask your dr about doing a creatinine clearance test (CrCl). According to Wikipedia it is a better test for kidney function.

Do you have a more muscular build? I read men with a higher muscle mass will have a higher creatinine level.

What brand of IVIG are you getting? Renal injury or failure is mostly seen in cases where the patient has received IVIG containing sucrose.

Kelly

• November 17, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thanks to the two of you.

My level is now 1.9.

I hydrated for 4 days prior to test. Still was given IVIG and it went fine.

I am on gammunex C due to its lower chance of serious reaction.

I will follow up on the suggestions on drugs as I am on two medications for hypertension.

Again, much an many thanks for your help.