IVIG dosage

• July 4, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Hi all,

My mum has been intubated for the last 7 weeks now and just finished her second round of IVIG. I’ve noted some of those living in the USA have been in receipt of more regular doses of IVIG than the ‘5 days every 6 weeks’ plan that has been advocated by our neurologist over here in the UK. I was wondering if it was worth asking neurologists to consider a more intensive programme of IVIG as a result? Any thoughts very very welcome. Thanks!

• July 4, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Everyone responds differently to IVIg treatments and prescribing it is a bit of an art. Some people do not tolerate it well and have complications. Did your mum have any side affects? Has she shown improvement since receiving the treatment? Depending on her responses and if she tolerated it well, the doctor may increase the IVIg treatment rate. If her overall response has been favorable, you could encourage the doctor to increase treatment frequencies.

• GH
      July 4, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Jim is right. There is no one treatment regimine which is best for all. Often, adjustments must be made to find the best treatment plan for the particular case.

• July 5, 2017 at 9:17 am

My husbands IVIG was done everyday for 5 days. Did not work, then they did Plasmapharasis for 5 days, that kicked in, but he was in the hospital for over 4 weeks for the transfusions then released, unable to walk or talk to a rehab center for 6 weeks.

You must be talking about after her first initial infusions for upkeep if she needs it, apparently she does. We were told it is once a month, will find out more next week when we see another nuero.

Good Luck! It is a trying experience.