Is twitching body at night normal – GBS?

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hi,

My DH neuro appointment is not for another 2.5 months (when he crosses a 7 month line) and I hope he’s healing fine that we won’t need to see more docs before then. But I forgot to ask the neuro about his twitching body at night when we saw him 2 weeks ago.

My DH says he doesn’t feel it and he feels like he’s sleeping like a stone and nothing bothers his sleep. That’s wonderful:D . However, I think I’m a kind of a light sleeper, so sometimes when I wake up I feel his body twitching. I hadn’t opened eyes and observed it, but I definitely feel his body parts jerking while I try go back to sleep. I don’t know whether this occurs every night or not; either I sleep deeper some nights and I don’t feel his twitching (if it’s every night) or he doesn’t do that every night.
      Is this normal? Or does it need medical attention? He says that maybe it’s due to the tingles he sometimes feels. He says he doesn’t twitch during the day (thank goodness).

Thanks.

• August 31, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I am sure that the twitching at night is part of the residuals. My husband has been having terrific ones- We were in a hotel room in a small double and it felt to me like he was twitching all night and he never felt any of it!

It does not happen every night but often.We are learning to live with increased residuals over the past month- it is scary- You are not alone.

How long ago did he have GBS?

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I had twitching at night for several months and had to take sleeping pills in order to sleep. I am now about 9 months post GBS and the twitching went away a few months ago. I can now sleep without pills.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2011 at 8:27 am

[QUOTE=Ottawa help]How long ago did he have GBS?[/QUOTE]

He had 4.5 months ago. Last night he didn’t twitch:D I’m glad he can sleep through them and that we don’t need to see a doc for this.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

SacredWife,

I had mild GBS and I had muscle twitching for a year and a half afterwards. It has gotten a lot better, but I still get it here and there.

My hubby did not have GBS and he jerks/twitches at night all the time. Sometimes he shakes the bed so hard, he wakes me up. He doesn’t have any issues.

So, it might just be some normal thing that occurs when sleeping and if not, related to GBS residuals. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it.

Jessica

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Yes, it’s normal; only a bit embarrassing if somebody else sees it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2011 at 12:47 am

The Drs. have no answers for this jerks and twitches. I have them day and night…I only notice them anytime I stop for a minute and lay down for a rest or just setting down on a chair. Mine has no pain withs them, but have had some really hard jerks that could be dangerous to myself or someone near me when one of these really hard jerks happen. I plan on telling the Drs. about this again. just so they will have it on record. I don’t expect any help tho. You can look at the positive side… when your DH has these at night, just jump on and enjoy the ride. ๐Ÿ™‚

God bless,
      Drummer
      GBS 1988

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2011 at 12:47 am

I wonder if there is any connection between the twitching and restless leg syndrome? I have that, have the symptoms you describe (also a GBS patient) and take ropinirole (1 mg daily) for the twitching. It helps quite a bit and my wife is grateful that I no longer kick her all night ๐Ÿ™‚ I had the problem with RLS before I was diagnosed with GBS last September and have always wondered if there is not some connection between the two nerve ailments.

Regarding the RLS, check to see if there is anemia involved – Low iron levels in the blood can lead to twitching as well and can exacerbate RLS symptoms.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2011 at 1:01 am

LOOK We posted the exact same time !!! Cool.
      Nice to meet you.

God bless,
      Drummer
      GBS 1988

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2011 at 12:11 pm

RLS happens to the best of those over age 40, or so. When the same problem arrives at the ageing golfer and his game starts going south, he is said to be coming down with a case of the ‘yips’. Trevino, Nicklaus, Palmer—

At home and recovering, I amazed meself with my typing ability on this keyboard, then, for a year or so, the fingers on my left hand had a case of the yips. The thumb especially, had the ‘peaberry thumps’. Oh, well.

I quit counting (worrying?) at about 30 months out, now only get the yips after a very physical day. Big problem, huh—huh ???:D

Mackie

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2011 at 6:03 am

The twitching is the nerves healing or reforming the pathways connecting to the muscles. It is part of the “normal” healing process. It shouldn’t be a concern unless there is pain or cramping of the muscles (kinda like a charlie horse but not so bad) in direct association with the twitching episodes. If they become bothersome or prevent sleeping the neurologist can prescribed a light muscle relaxer or a type of medication used for seizure disorders that prevents muscular activity like carbamazapine (Tegretol). A warm bath or stretching the muscles before going to bed helps alot with this.

My twitching was so bad that my husband and I didn’t sleep in the same bed for months because I would kick him!! I didn’t feel a thing….

Angela