Important question about Nerve Conductive results

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I have a question about the Nerve Conductive results. I went to see my Neurologist yesterday and had the test sdone and it showed that I am the same as I was last November. But I feel some of the signs of CIDP relapse but it doesn’t show on the tests. My fingers were cold for the test. I know it is suppose to be around 33 C but my fingers were 24.9 C.
      It’s says on the paper that Conductive velocities marked with an (*) have been corrected for temperature. When I showed this to my counselor who once was a family DR for 20 years he notice that none of the results had an asterix (*) next to them so he says it was not adjusted for the fact that the temperature of my fingers were that cold.
      So I want to know does anybody know how your cold fingers might give the wrong results.
      My DR I saw today for counseling said I should let my Neurologist know and I left a message with her upstairs office where she works Thursdays and downstairs where I got the Nerve Conductive Studies done. I am going to bring a copy of my result with me when I go to Toronto for the Conference this weekend.

Sue

PS: My Neurologist said people with CIDP don`t have pain associated with it. I know that is not true because your muscle are weaker and when you do your regular work it most likely will cause you pain.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Sue was the rest of your body normal temperature? If just your fingers were cold, and the rest of you warm it should have been okay. But I must say when hubby goes in to the lab for his nerve conduction studies no one seems concerned with body temp. at all! I would say my husband has some pain due to CIDP i.e. weakened muscles that seem to spasm and hurt when he goes for a walk. Good luck in dealing with the neurologist! Our relationship with my husband’s neuro. is so marginal(he’s on wait list for a new one) that I wouldn’t dare question about his body temp. He goes in on Friday for nerve conduction tests again. Oh joy!
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2011 at 7:16 am

Hi Laurel this is what I found on the internet.

[B]Temperature Effects[/B]
      Minimal changes in temperature can greatly affect nerve conduction studies, and extra care should be taken to monitor skin temperature during nerve conduction studies. At lower skin temperatures, sensory and motor amplitudes become higher and distal latencies are prolonged. Both motor and sensory conduction velocities are slowed. In neuromuscular transmission defects, decrements may altogether disappear at lower temperatures. Optimal skin temperature is 35 C and the extremities should be warmed if it falls below that. In our lab we use disposable adhesive temperature strips applied over the dorsum of the hand and the dorsolateral aspect of the foot during the study.
      [url]http://www.teleemg.com/new/jbr031.htm[/url]

I don’t totally understand it. But I know when I get the cold fingers and my body reacts to the cold that I feel cold right down to the bones is usually when I am starting a relapse,

Thanks

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Sue that was good info. Thanks so much. I am bundling hubby up in a couple of sweaters tomorrow when we head in for this nerve conduction testing. I wish the pro’s would pay attention to these details instead of us having to find this important things on a forum.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Laurel,

Can you stop and get a couple of those hot packs that you put in your gloves and to warm your feet?

Most stores carry them. 30 minutes before test start warming hubby up with those.

Thanks for sharing that info Sue.

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2011 at 9:19 am

That citation is very interesting, Sue. When I had my last NCV at Northwestern post stem cell transplant, there was no positive change in my legs. My feet and lower legs (distal region — where my numbness and motor problems are located), were as cold as ice. Both the examiner and I remarked upon it. I wonder if those areas had been warmer whether the test would have shown some improvement.

Sharon

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2011 at 2:09 pm

When I went for my 1st NCT that neuro did nothing with the temperature of me or the room. I live in Florida, even so, it was pretty cold for us. My 2nd one with my now neuro (who is excellent) they heated the room so I was almost sweating. Don’t know what the difference was in my results but I certainly trust what my now neuro did rather than the 1st guy. I guess somehow it makes a difference. Either way, they both knew something was amiss but the 1st guy just didn’t know what. Never said CIDP, only some different kinds of neuropathy. So glad I found my now neuro!:)
      God bless us all
      Wendy

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm

[I DON’t count the first ones w/another doc]
      They suspected a possible problem when my toes and ankles started to turn BLUE w/cold! I suggested ‘gentle rubbing’ to get circulation ‘going’ and it worked. Also told the tech that I’d use my own hair dryer on warm at lo to defrost my own feet when needed at home. I do believe he got a hair dryer AND a space heater to boot for occasions such as ours!
      Blue sort of =’s frostbite? =’s not a whole lotta circulation going on!
      I’m tempted to bring my own ‘bed buddy’ next time!
      LOOVE tests such as MRI’s for the very reason that where I get them? They’ve got pre-heated blankets! Makes life soo much easier.
      Good luck in the future!