If IVIG is given frequently, then won’t test have a negative, positive?

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2006 at 9:26 pm

Our son Dell is 2. He’s been getting IVIG every 2 weeks since July.

Our neurologist is convinced he’s got something else going on besides CIDP because his neck weakness is not getting any better with the treatments.

He’s been doing additional testing. Miller Fisher Variant came back negative and we just did test for Mystania Gravis yesterday. We asked since the IVIG has been given and not gotten out of the system before another is given, how do we know we are getting correct readings of the tests. The dr. said we don’t know. It’s a shot in the dark.

Does anyone have any opinion on this? He also ordered bunches of other test, all blood, most are send outs.

Thanks, Lori

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2006 at 11:53 pm

lori, i wish i could help you, but i had the same questions myself, and never got an answer for them. please give dell a gentle bear hug for me. you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2006 at 10:33 am

Since I had IVIG at one hospital and was then transferred to the Mayo Clinic where they did PLEX (pp) then I had asked these questions as well. What I was told is that if I had it in my system, the IVIG would not cause false negatives as you still have antibodies, etc in your system. What it CAN do though is show false positives because of things that were in the IVIG. For example, I was tested for Sjogrens Disease at Mayo after I had my IVIG treatments and the test showed positive for antibodies of Sjogrens. The only way to tell for certain a positive of Sjogrens is a lip biopsy which they did. The lip biopsy came back as negative and they attributed the false positive to the IVIG saying that someone that had donated had the antibodies which were transferred over to me (not the disease just the antibodies).