I year ago today

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 1:13 am

Hi gang, It’s been a while since I have been to the forums – just busy but I think of you all! Actually Ali, sent me a message tonight and I was like OOOOPS!! I forgot to tell the REST of my family how well my dad is doing!

One year ago today GBS took my dad out of the loop. He was 65 at the time and on August 12th last year he was busy working and placing concrete like he had done for years. August 13th 2006 he woke up unable to walk and barely able to talk and within just a few hours he was paralyzed from his eyebrows down and on a ventilator. He spent months in a coma and 10 months on the ventilator. It took him 2 months to wean off the vent but he has succeeded! Today they sewed the hole in his throat closed. YAY DAD! He has just moved to the rehab unit and he now has enough movemnet in his right shoulder to be able to operate the armrest on an electric wheel chair. So he is self-mobile! He still is not able to move his hands or his legs ( he can sort of wiggle his legs kind of side to side about and inch by using his hip muscles) and he is now able to eat minced food so Like I told Ali, I sneak him chow mien noodles and iced coffee milkshakes! His docs say he will likely be another year in the hospital and then depending on what progress he makes in that year he may be able to go to an assisted living home. Unfortunately, with him having had extensive axonal damage it is unlikely that he will ever be able to walk again as they say that those nerves are just too damaged. His spirits are good and he is excited about his new-found mobility and now chases the nurses around the unit.

Just thought I’d share my own bit of joy and let my GBS family know that I was thinking about them on this anniversary date.

Love you all and take care

Erin

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 1:26 am

WooHoo! Is this great news or what ๐Ÿ˜€ Thank you for sharing this with us. There is so much more healing to come ~ in it’s own time. Never let anyone say that your dad won’t ever do this or that. No one knows that for sure. I am 12+ yrs. post and still finding little improvements ~ like the feeling is just now returning on my scalp! Celebrate every little/big thing which happens:) Please tell “Dad” that we are cheering for him and will be excited the day he sends a message to us!

Thank you for caring for your Dad. We adore our loving caregivers ๐Ÿ˜‰ Please keep in touch with progress reports. And we are most definitely here should any one of you need to vent. It can get stressful!!

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 10:25 am

Dear Erin

I am so very happy that things are improving so well for your Dad! Its been a long journey for your family but there certainly is reason to celebrate ๐Ÿ˜€ . Tell him to behave in that new wheelchair ๐Ÿ˜‰ , but not too much because he has to make up for lost time. Its good to see you in such good spirits.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Erin, That is Wonderful News. I’m soo happy to hear he is off the vent and motivating again. I can’t wait to hear he is able to eat Real food again.;) I can just picture him rollin after those nurses!:D

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Congratulations! Thanks for the update- I’ve been wondering about you and your dad. I know you live a good distance away- are you able to see him much?
      That is just great news! I am so happy for your dad- I can only imagine what this new found freedom means to him! I’m happy for you too- to see and know how much he has improved.
      I wouldn’t count him out either on the walking! You never know what the human machine is capable of!
      Take care! And thank you again for the updates!
      Jenn