I really could use your help PLEASE !

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

My neurologist wants me to start IVIG treatments. I have 7 medicated stents implanted in my heart arteries. A second opinion neurologist, a druggist and others told me, “be careful, the IVIG will increase the blood volume and you could have a heart attack or stroke from IVIG”. Translated, IVIG will make my blood thick, I take Plavix to make it thin, stent & CAD patients do better with thin blood. I see my cardiologist the end of this month (1/31) for his opinion. If anyone knows anything about stents and IVIG PLEASE tell me, my life may be at stake and you may help save it ! I’m not being melodramatic… I’m scared as heck and don’t know what to do ! Please ask your IVIG infusers if they have any IVIG recipients (patients) who have medicated stents and let me know what they say about it. I realize it will be only their opinion, but any info is better than none. If others have stents and get IVIG then perhaps I will too. – THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Tom

• January 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Tom,
      Just a mom, yes the ivig does cause viscosity issues. Not sure if that is for everyone or a side affect for only some. But…there is an alternative, a very good alternative with regards to ivig as a treatment. You can get it administered subcutaneously. Several people on the site do and actually have had better results. It is administered by shot, several shots actually under the skin. Look up a member name Julie, she explains it in detail as this is her method of delivery. She had problems with the viscosity among other side affects and with the sub -q things were much better for her. You should read her posts. Besides ivig there are many other oprions, pp, steroids, ohter imunosuppressant drugs and as some are doing, chemo. I would imagine the pp might be an issue for your circumstance but that would be something to ask your doc. If you have diabetes, steroids could be an issue (as well as some brands of ivig if they use sugars as stablizers) I am not sure of the quickness of ivig administered sub-q as opposed to iv, but maybe a temporary steroid w/the sub-q could be an option.
      Good luck

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Dawn, You mentioned terms I’m not familiar with, yet. I printed out your reply and I’ll Google to find answers and check this forum. I’m not diabetic, but I am on prednisone and I understand steroids can cause diabetis. I’m going to ask my neurologist about the sub-Q, may work for me. Thank you so much for trying to help. This forum has really been helpful. Before it I was learning by osmosis as things came along and that’s too slow. No where in my readings or speaking with doctors did they tell me the disease would get worse and the pain will too. I under estimated this disease until the pain started. All I can say is WOW it hurts ! Thanks again.

Tom

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Tom,

I have three stents in my arteries and have IVIG monthly.

I am type 2 diabetic and i also take plavix and 325mg of aspirin each day

I have been having IVIG for 4 years now…I never knew it could cause a problem.

I’ll have to ask, so far it has not been an issue!

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2011 at 11:43 pm

TomA,

The viscosity of the blood can increase with IVIg. However, there are ways to mitigate the increase. First, be very well hydrated before the infusion, to the point where you must urinate frequently. Second, use a lower viscosity solution. IVIg typically comes in 3%, 5%, 6%, and 10% solutions. I would try a 3% solution first. Third, you could have the infusion done over a longer elapsed time. Typically, for your first round of IVIg, you would get 2 g IVIg per kilogram of body weight, administered over 4 or 5 days. You could have that stretched to 7 to 10 days, keeping well hydrated the entire time. Fourth, have the infusion done slowly, at or below 200 ml/hour.

Other things to consider. First, if I had your heart issues, I would want my infusion done at a medical center with an ER in close proximity, just in case the worst does happen. This statement is not meant to scare you; it is more a matter of being well prepared. Second, plasma exchange might be an option for you; discuss it with your neurologist. [Many neurologists are reluctant to recommend it because you need either very good vascular access or the willingness to have a central venous catheter installed. Still, it is worth considering.] Third, ask your cardiologist and neurologist to confer about your treatment course.

Godspeed in reaching your decision,
      MarkEns

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2011 at 1:39 am

Hi there- I don’t have any stents but I did have multiple blood clots following IvIg. One in my left leg and multiple in each lung. It is always important to explain your concerns to your doctor. However, I really believe that with your history, they will be very cautious. But it is always a good thing to be vigilant about your own health.

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

Thank you for your responses and help. Because you took the time to help me I feel better about alternative cures or treatment/s which I was not aware of. Because of my current health conditions (implanted stents) I am going to ask my neuro about SiG v/s IViG. Thanks again for your help I’ll attempt to keep you posted.
      Tom

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I still need to do more research on this…

can’t they thin your blood by running a saline IV along with IVIG?

I am going to call my nurse and ask her as I have 3 stents in my heart arteries.

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2011 at 6:31 am

I had one neurologist recommend IViG for me and another caution me to go slow because of the possibility of having a heart attack due to stent implantation, number (7 total) and location. I would make an appointment with my cardiologist for his/her input. I also would want the cardiologist and neurologist to converse on same. General input (post) to me was to orally hydrate a lot for either IViG or SiG. One poster did mention using saline and/or Ringers before the infusion. I also believe the number of stents and location is a factor, hence getting your cardiologist’s input. My stents are in the arteries to my heart. These arteries are not big or huge as some believe. I have 3 stents in my left anterior descending (LAD) artery, this is also called the widow maker (guess why). 1 of these stents is near a bifurcation (split or why). The LAD artery is about 2.5 mm in diameter. I have 2 more in the circumflex artery. This small circumflex artery is behind the heart, although important, it’s not called the widow maker. The remaining stents are located in larger heart arteries. Restricting (thick blood) or worse stopping (blood clot) the blood flow to any heart artery is not a good thing, doing it in the LAD is a very BAD thing. This is the reason for my concern in my particular case. In either event, I am not a doctor nor do I know your particular situation. I think it wise to involve your cardiologist in this and ANY condition involving blood vessels (IViG) or circulation changes (Saline thinning). This is just my opinion (JMO). 🙂

Tom