How long to notice an improvement

• November 13, 2018 at 2:06 pm

I started IVIG last week with 4 days of IVIG. I received a loading dose and will continue with half of what I received in another month over 2 days. I will receive this dose for 5 consecutive months, however I see my neurologist after 3 months. He told me he expects to see some improvement in 3 months. How long after receiving the first dose of IVIG has anyone seen an improvement? I thought I was actually loosing my balance less after only a few days, but that was short lived after I almost fell in my garage. My children seem to think I would be running marathons within a few days! I wish! If you did see improvement, what did you see first? Thanks for your help..

• November 13, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Hi, Ann-Marie.

My doctor is still trying to work out the correct IVIG dosage and frequency for me, but I do have some experience that might be relevant to you.

After I’ve gotten high-dose IVIG treatments (lasting 2-3 days), I have typically found that my strength and balance start feeling normal after about 7-10 days. The tingling has been unpredictable, coming and going as it pleases. And as for the autonomic reflexes (i.e. when the doctor hits your knee with a mallet), that may take 4-6 months to come back. The trick with CIDP is to find the maintenance (smaller) dosage that keeps the symptoms from returning before you get treated again.

Good luck to you (and all of us)!

• November 13, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I really thought I wasn’t loosing my balance as much but for sure that was only wishful thinking!

• December 25, 2018 at 8:59 pm

When it was an effective treatment for me and IVIG worked well, I would see positive changes begin in 3 to 7 days.