How do I dress up?

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 8:38 am

I have a question that might seem silly.

My husbands’ company is having their “holiday” party on the 24th of this month. It’s going to be at a fancy place and the requested attire is dressy.

I have nothing dressy anymore. My work clothes are about as dressy as it gets and even with those, I wear tennis shoes.

My problem is that I can only wear tennies. I have nice tennies…but certainly not fancy or that would look appropriate with a dress/ skirt/ or anything nicer.

I sure would like to look nice…I’d even go buy something new…But the shoes. I cant walk in anything else especially a heel. I could possibly try to wear a boot of some kind but I would only wear them once and it would be a waste to buy them.

I really really feel awful about this and I think my husband really wants to go.

๐Ÿ™
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 9:01 am

Could you were just flats sort of like slippers? I know they aren’t as dressy but at least you could walk! If you really need tennies, try some black ones so on first glance its not as obvious! Meanwhile forget the shoes and go out and have a great time! ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 12, 2009 at 10:19 am

Are we talking black tie dressy? To me even if it is not black tie, a long skirt (floor legnth) with a jacket could even be casual. Buy some black rockports and no one would know the difference. I doubt anyone would look at your feet under a long dress. Some dressier paants have a wide leg that almost resemble a long skirt as well. Try Penney’s, they have a “Cloud Walkers” line that are as comfortable as gym shoes. The Avenue does too! I saw tons of beautiful dresses on clearance, 80-90% at Saks and Lord and Taylor. Macy’s had a pretty nice selection on clearance left too! Believe it or not, the higher end stores are discounting better than mid level stores. Go to the party and have fun. If anyone says anything about gym shoes just tell them the truth. If there are chatty catty’s, I am sure they will find out from someone why you have gym shoes on. People will probably be so hammered and enjoying a free night out, they won’t even be thinking about what each other is wearing. Have fun!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 10:56 am

Just a suggestion – If you have a cane, nobody is going think about the how appropriate your shoes are. The cane makes speaks volumes without you having to say anything. Only a total social idiot would ask about the cane and then good one liner can take care of that. “I actually work in CIA covert ops and that’s were I hid my sword. Don’t say a word to anyone or the Company will have to take you out” ๐Ÿ™‚

That one of the reason I use a cane. That and it rather embarrassing to keep falling on the floor. When I do that my wife walks away and ask if anyone knows the person laying on the floor. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm

[QUOTE=ConnorZmom]I have a question that might seem silly.

My husbands’ company is having their “holiday” party on the 24th of this month. It’s going to be at a fancy place and the requested attire is dressy.

I have nothing dressy anymore. My work clothes are about as dressy as it gets and even with those, I wear tennis shoes.

My problem is that I can only wear tennies. I have nice tennies…but certainly not fancy or that would look appropriate with a dress/ skirt/ or anything nicer.

I sure would like to look nice…I’d even go buy something new…But the shoes. I cant walk in anything else especially a heel. I could possibly try to wear a boot of some kind but I would only wear them once and it would be a waste to buy them.

I really really feel awful about this and I think my husband really wants to go.

๐Ÿ™
      Stacey[/QUOTE]

Hi Stacey,

I know exactly what you mean! I had to attend a ‘dressy’ meeting in the City last month and had to wear the same pair of shoes that I wear to the shops. These were flat sandal type shoes. I am now able to wear these in Summer after only being able to wear tennies for years. I did wear a dressy skirt and top and also a nice necklace. My walking stick/cane is pretty though! It is finished in a leopard print that matches a handbag that I have.
      It’s strange – but I can’t even move one step in any type of heel – my legs won’t move at all – obviously it’s a balance thing.
      I hope you are able to find something that you can walk in and maybe even wear again ๐Ÿ™‚
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Hi Stacey,

How is it going??? I am not to well position to guide you on this one;) except that, you should go with you husband, don’t be ashamed of things and I am sure you’ll be able to work something out clothing wise. You are a very fun person to be with. All the rest will fall into place. tim

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Hi Stacey,
      Everybody likes to look nice, even practical me. When my house in New York sells I’m planning on a really great vacation and one night would be dressy, so I’ve given thought to what to wear and shoes and things.

If you wear a long gown or skirt or sweeping palazzo pants, shoes aren’t going to show that much so try to wear those tennies, foot care is important in order to feel well. Have a pair of tennies dyed to match what you wear and glue a silver, gold or dressy buckle on them. You could even glue on a flower.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 8:24 pm

My mom has problems walking in dressy shoes. But she has long dresses for formal wear. Something red would look nice even with sequins but she can’t wear dressy shoes. She found some gold metalic sneakers and wears them. They also have them in red, silver and really look dressy but are sneakers.
      This would be a nice suggestion. Not sure when this party will be but Ebay has some really nice attire and pretty reasonable. Hope this helps!
      Even a long skirt that is in red or velvet would look pretty with a nice red sweater and the red metalic shoes! But you dress the way you feel best! It having fun that counts! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Stacey

I have the same problem! I bought some fancy slippers!

Where I live there is snow so I arrive in boots and then put on my slippers!

I bought black moccasins with fur around the top!

Good luck and have fun!

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 12:45 am

Hey Stacey,
      When I was looking for something to wear I loved the pants that are really wide with the chiffon overlay..they are sooo dressy and they hide any type of shoe. so you could wear pretty much anything black under it. and on top of that they are the most comfortable pants inthe world. Send us a pic..

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 2:11 am

Stacey,
      I think you need Clinton and Stacey on What Not to Wear . I think whatever shoes are comfortable are just fine to be combined with a dressy outfit. Heaven knows people wear shorts to church these days. And a dressy outfit can be almost anything these days. I am a great consignment store lover–so perhaps you can find a slinky black dress in a consignment store and pair it up with some funky runners. People now days are far less critical than in the days of my youth.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 7:50 am

Hey everyone.

I was quite surprised to find so many replies this morning. Thank you all for your tips.

I told my husband last night that I would be happy to be his date. I have a dress that is very nice….it’s a dark purple. perfect for the occasion. I’m sure I will have to find some kind of heel but…the cane is the key. I can walk with the cane on one side and hubby on the other. If we dance, I’ll take the shoes off and just be careful when I walk.

It’s a formal party with cocktails and dinner with three choices of meals…one prime rib, another shrimp and another fancy chicken name. It’s at a very ritzy country club and is themed “a night at the oscars”.
      Hubby said in the past, they have raffled off some very nice prizes including huge flat screen tv’s, money, and trips. I have to go just for the chance of winning something !!!!;)

The party is on the 24th and we’ll be sure to take pictures. I’ll send it to someone here to post it for me.

Thank you all, once again, for coming thru for me with ideas and suggestions and confidence.

I’m kinda looking forward to it !

well wishes,
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 9:40 am

Stacey,
      OK, you made your mind up to go, that’s great. Dress up, look gorgeous, feel gorgeous and enjoy the dinner, date and barefoot dancing with hubby. ๐Ÿ˜€
      Tell us about your night out and [B]win a prize. :p [/B]
      Have a wonderful time! ๐Ÿ™‚
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Try camper.com (or any of a number of companies that make stylish, comfortable street shoes, but that was the first one that came to mind). The shoes have leather uppers, but the sole and the fit are just like a running shoe. Happily, they don’t put a big logo on the side.

My wife also has a pair of silver Vans (popular shoe with skateboarders) that she has worn with nicer outfits.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Well that is good news and I have a feeling this is going to be a very good time for you! And purple sounds like a pretty color to wear also! Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you win a big prize. Can’t wait to hear all about your evening out! Have a great time and enjoy the fun. Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Stacey, I’m glad you have decided to go! That sounds like a Great time out with Your Man!!:)
      When I got married I wore a pair of flats that tied up my ankle like ballet shoes. They were satiny with a light pink lacey ribbon. I can’t walk in heels and I really didn’t want to hurt myself walking down the aisle, so I bought these flats, they were very dressy looking with my dress. If it were me I would dress up the cane also-I do it for all occassions and holidays!:D Hope You have a Great Time and take lots of pre dinner pics!!!:D

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Stacey,
      Congrats on even being able to go and for saying yes to the hub. By the way, shoes are my big thing and I have a closet full. The ones that still work are the semi flats and flats and it just so happens that FLATS ARE IN. I know how anxiety provoking this issue can be. Good luck and send pics.
      L

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Hi Stacey,
      Glad to see you are making plans. You will be right in style because Purple is the New Black this year. So you are in style and didn’t even know it..lol. And I agree you need to spend a great night with hubby and possibly win a great prize. So go have fun and tell us all about it later.

Take care and take lots of pics

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Hi Everyone.

Well, the night has come and went. We had a very nice time. I found some shoes at Payless that were black flats kind of like Cinderella slippers. I had tried on heels of all kinds and knew when I couldnt stand up in them, there’d be no way. So….tough lesson in Payless that day, but I settled on the flats and they were fine.

I had a beautiful dress on and I dont think people really noticed my shoes. My cane ? yes, they noticed that but it was almost like they were nicer to me b/c of it. And, that’s ok.

We had a great prime rib dinner and salad and 6 drink tickets. I had rum and coke all night. By the end of the evening, I felt pretty good ! ๐Ÿ˜€

We didnt win any prizes. Others won gift cards from 250.00 to 500.00 bucks and Elton John/Billy Joel tickets…and other smaller prizes.
      It was ok that we didnt win anything b/c I won something from within myself.

Early last week I fell in my kitchen. For no reason, just CIDP and I was trying to go too fast. I was making Connor’s lunch for the next day. When I fell, it realllllllly hurt. I fell on my knee again…oh ouch. Connor was there and that hurt, too. It hurt my heart for him to see me fall AGAIN. I sat on the kitchen floor and after he made sure I was ok, he was off and running. Then I began to cry. I was hurting and I was fed up and sick of being how I am. Who was I kidding…how was I going to go somewhere in a dress and decent shoes. I must have sat there crying for ten minutes, a million bad things running through my head and having a big ol pitty party for myself.

I was sad about it for most of the week and then I finally told myself that I was gonna go to this and not let my husband down.

So, when I say I won something from within myself, I mean that I learned that CIDP is NOT going to stop me from dressing all up like a princess and going out with my husband and having a good time. My husband told me I looked very nice…and ya know what ? I did ! I win, CIDP loses.

Thank you all for continued help and encouragement as we all struggle down the road we are on.

I am at work today, Connor is here playing his DS while I am SUPPOSE to be getting a few things done. I have IVIG later today and tomorrow….
      I’d better get busy now.
      well wishes to all,
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Good for you Stacey. I am really happy to hear you pushed through and won.Congrats!
      Linda

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2009 at 3:24 am

Excellent, Stacey! I’ll bet you were the belle of the ball — at least to your husband and to us you were!

Keep fighting!

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2009 at 4:34 am

That’s right Stacey! You won! You got it, you beat it! Woo Hoo! I KNOW what you are talking about and I am so proud of you for just deciding to toss out your fears and go to the party. You did win a door prize – you went, you had a good time, nothing disastrous happened and the next time you are faced with a decision like this you won’t hesitate to go! I’m eagerly waiting for the photos!!! ๐Ÿ˜€